Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 12-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 135i Coupe
OEM BMW wheels on a 135i or 128i

I am debating to purchase some 18" wheels from a Z3 coupe. They are 18x8 with 35 offset and 18x9 with a 38 offset. 225/40 front and 255/40 rear. Does anybody have an idea if this would fit a 135i or 128i.

Also would it be wise to have them transfer the TPMS to these wheels or just get the TPMS delete from Turner Motorsports?

These are the wheels I am trying to buy.

Advertisement
Old 12-20-2011, 05:09 PM

I am surprised nobody has an opinion on this
Old 12-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guam135i View Post
I am surprised nobody has an opinion on this
The problem is that it requires quite a bit of research to answer your question, but I will give it a go:

(1) I am not aware of any 18-inch OE BMW wheels for the E36 Z3, so I suspect those wheels are not OE.

(2) Offsets for the 135i seem to run in the mid- to high-40s -- or about 8-10mm more than the Z3 wheel specs you cite.

(3) For 18-inch staggered fitments on 1 series, BMW specs 215/40R-18 front and 245/35R-18 rear tires. The Z3 set has bigger tires, particularly in the rear. You say that you are considering buying the wheels, so it may be that you don't plan to use the tires.

The 10mm less offset (negative offset, mind you) moves the wheel/tire 10mm further from the centerline of the tire or further out. With the wider tires, that will probably clear the suspension on the inner side (about 10mm more clearance but then wider tires reducing the clearance), but I'd be afraid would rub the fender on the outer side, as the outer edge of the tire is moving out 10mm plus wider wheel (?) plus wider tire = maybe 20-35mm more?

If you are talking wheels only and would put 135i size tires on, then it is just moving everything 10mm out plus half of the any greater amount of rim width on both outer and inner sides. With 8"/9" width on those Z3 wheels I believe they are going to be wider than 135i wheels, so you are moving them over 10mm (20mm?) further out.

So just estimating the numbers off the top of my head like this, I think the tire/wheel set won't work on your 135i. The wheels alone, with proper 135i tires mounted, MIGHT work, but could very well rub on the outer edge/fenders.

Those are attractive wheels, but not worth the risk in my opinion.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
The problem is that it requires quite a bit of research to answer your question, but I will give it a go:

(1) I am not aware of any 18-inch OE BMW wheels for the E36 Z3, so I suspect those wheels are not OE.

(2) Offsets for the 135i seem to run in the mid- to high-40s -- or about 8-10mm more than the Z3 wheel specs you cite.

(3) For 18-inch staggered fitments on 1 series, BMW specs 215/40R-18 front and 245/35R-18 rear tires. The Z3 set has bigger tires, particularly in the rear. You say that you are considering buying the wheels, so it may be that you don't plan to use the tires.

The 10mm less offset (negative offset, mind you) moves the wheel/tire 10mm further from the centerline of the tire or further out. With the wider tires, that will probably clear the suspension on the inner side (about 10mm more clearance but then wider tires reducing the clearance), but I'd be afraid would rub the fender on the outer side, as the outer edge of the tire is moving out 10mm plus wider wheel (?) plus wider tire = maybe 20-35mm more?

If you are talking wheels only and would put 135i size tires on, then it is just moving everything 10mm out plus half of the any greater amount of rim width on both outer and inner sides. With 8"/9" width on those Z3 wheels I believe they are going to be wider than 135i wheels, so you are moving them over 10mm (20mm?) further out.

So just estimating the numbers off the top of my head like this, I think the tire/wheel set won't work on your 135i. The wheels alone, with proper 135i tires mounted, MIGHT work, but could very well rub on the outer edge/fenders.

Those are attractive wheels, but not worth the risk in my opinion.
Thank you they were being sold as a set of wheels and tires. Too bad it was agood deal for $800
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 PM

These wheels are still being sold and now I purchased a 2003 BMW tourer can I use those 18" wheels? You are right they are not OE