Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2015, 03:14 PM
meh92 meh92 is offline
Registered User
Location: NE Ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: Looking for a Z4
Sport Package suspension vs. M suspension?

I went on a 13-hour Z4 club drive yesterday and was in a 2007 M coupe for the majority of it. I had a blast but the suspension was just too rough for my liking and needs and the bolstered M seats weren't very comfortable for my larger frame. I got to drive a 3.0i roadster with the standard suspension and regular power seats and it was much more preferable.

What is the actual difference in performance and ride comfort between a 2006-2008 3.0si with the "sport package" suspension and the same year's "M" suspension? Are they set up the same or is the M stiffer still?

I know a test-drive will answer my questions and I'm working on that.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-13-2015, 03:37 PM
AZ_MLC AZ_MLC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gilbert, AZ
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 207
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4si
Sport Package suspension vs. M suspension?

Any idea what tires were on the M? M's didn't come with run flats, but they may have been added. The M is technically a tad stiffer, since they were shipped with standard tires and the sport suspension a tad softer and shipped with run flats.

I absolutely love my M sport seats and sport suspension, but as you have discovered, the seats don't fit larger frames and too many other factors involved to make a blanket statement on what "stiff" is.
__________________

Last edited by AZ_MLC; 09-13-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-13-2015, 03:44 PM
dc_wright's Avatar
dc_wright dc_wright is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: Orlando, Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,061
Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh92 View Post
I went on a 13-hour Z4 club drive yesterday and was in a 2007 M coupe for the majority of it. I had a blast but the suspension was just too rough for my liking and needs and the bolstered M seats weren't very comfortable for my larger frame. I got to drive a 3.0i roadster with the standard suspension and regular power seats and it was much more preferable.

What is the actual difference in performance and ride comfort between a 2006-2008 3.0si with the "sport package" suspension and the same year's "M" suspension? Are they set up the same or is the M stiffer still?

I know a test-drive will answer my questions and I'm working on that.

Thanks
The M suspension is stiffer than the Sport suspension on the 3.0si.
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si Sport Package (But I'll still hang with my "homies" in the E36 forum)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-13-2015, 05:05 PM
meh92 meh92 is offline
Registered User
Location: NE Ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: Looking for a Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_MLC View Post
Any idea what tires were on the M? M's didn't come with run flats, but they may have been added. The M is technically a tad stiffer, since they were shipped with standard tires and the sport suspension a tad softer and shipped with run flats...
Neither car had run-flats, but I'm not sure what brand/model they had.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-13-2015, 06:06 PM
AZ_MLC AZ_MLC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gilbert, AZ
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 207
Mein Auto: 2007 Z4si
Worn suspension aside, that should at least get you closer to an even comparison.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-13-2015, 06:39 PM
meh92 meh92 is offline
Registered User
Location: NE Ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: Looking for a Z4
Just found out the M had Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Last edited by meh92; 09-13-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2015, 01:12 PM
ebruder's Avatar
ebruder ebruder is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Suburban Cleveland, OH
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 644
Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh92 View Post
Just found out the M had Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Extra wide/fat ones @ 34 psi all around. (It was my car he was driving, and driving it quite well.)

EB

Last edited by ebruder; 09-14-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-14-2015, 05:10 PM
meh92 meh92 is offline
Registered User
Location: NE Ohio
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: Looking for a Z4
Much obliged for the kind words my friend. Coming from someone with your background, that is high praise! I'm just happy to have handed you the keys back with the car in the same condition (maybe with a few less gallons of petrol).
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms