Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Smile K & N Air Filter at Autobarn.com

I have been looking at my local auto stores for a K&N Air Filter for my 2009 535xdrive that I bought last month and nobody seems to stock the filter. I knew I could get it online from K&N directly but it was expensive. On their site it listed at $85.44 and they discounted it down to $64.99 with free shipping. I thought that was a good deal until I got an email from Autobarn today. They have free shipping and 10% off orders through 9/16 (use code SEP10) and free shipping for orders over $50. The best part is that the same K&N air filter was just $47.95

Anyone that would like the original email, I can forward if you provide your email address. send me a pm

I have placed my order and thought I would share this around.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e60 535i
Re:K&N Filter

I have had nothing but issues using the K&N filter in my AMG! The oil will wreek havoc with your intake sensors. After a failure on the Benz. I chose not to go with K&N in the bimmer. I went with afe dry filter and have had no issues. The K&N's work fine in my Gmc and Jeep but you need to read up on problems associated with use in european auto's. My repair bill was over 1,100. For a 49.00 air filter with oil. Steer clear. Also look up the issues K&N's have caused with Volvo's.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Thank you for the warning.

Anyone else have a similar issue or no issue with this type of air filter?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
I have a k&n in my car and it works fine. Got mine on amazon for $45.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access

-20" Forgestar F14 Black Gloss, custom Cobb E30 map, Dr Euro DP's, KW V2 CO's, Remus Sport Exhaust, BMS DCI, RPI Scoop, Full Front 3M PPF, 35% tint all-around, Orion V4's, Bruce v6.1L cables, LED interior lights, WeissLicht License Plate LED, Trinity Smoked LED side markers, Bimmian Smoked Reflectors, OEM black gloss grills, and Invisibulb turn bulbs.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:05 PM

Re K & N Air Filter

Like I said read up! If the filter can screw up a Mercedes and other European models! It can do the same to your BMW! My buddy has a 1999 E36 M3 and ditched his and went with a Bavarian cold air intake! He had to keep cleaning the intake and his M3 would start to hesitate. If you have not noticed BMW has not offered a oil filmed air filter and there is good cause for it. Like I said my 2 american trucks seem to benifit from it including my old saab 900 turbo! But they dont have all the sensors and computer crap that these newer cars have. Just letting you know.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:17 PM

Re K & N Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallabmw View Post
Like I said read up! If the filter can screw up a Mercedes and other European models! It can do the same to your BMW! My buddy has a 1999 E36 M3 and ditched his and went with a Bavarian cold air intake! He had to keep cleaning the intake and his M3 would start to hesitate. If you have not noticed BMW has not offered a oil filmed air filter and there is good cause for it. Like I said my 2 american trucks seem to benifit from it including my old saab 900 turbo! But they dont have all the sensors and computer crap that these newer cars have. Just letting you know.
Hey search online for K&N air filter issues and you will notice MAF sensors ect damaged. K&N stands behind there product! But so did Chrysler back in the days. There are many brands of filters which do a better job and dont jack up your ride!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Hey search online for K&N air filter issues and you will notice MAF sensors ect damaged. K&N stands behind there product! But so did Chrysler back in the days. There are many brands of filters which do a better job and dont jack up your ride!
I hope you realize there is no MAF sensor in our N54 engine to mess up. Just saying.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access

-20" Forgestar F14 Black Gloss, custom Cobb E30 map, Dr Euro DP's, KW V2 CO's, Remus Sport Exhaust, BMS DCI, RPI Scoop, Full Front 3M PPF, 35% tint all-around, Orion V4's, Bruce v6.1L cables, LED interior lights, WeissLicht License Plate LED, Trinity Smoked LED side markers, Bimmian Smoked Reflectors, OEM black gloss grills, and Invisibulb turn bulbs.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
I hope you realize there is no MAF sensor in our N54 engine to mess up. Just saying.
Thank you, OWNED. I was going to say that! The n54 is one of the few newer motors with that and a Benz is similar but a whole different vehicle...
Old 09-16-2012, 05:26 AM
BMW Master Wannabe

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
They make a MAF cleaner spray that you should use once in a while, regardless if you are K&N or dry type filter. Also, some folks may be spraying too much oil after cleaning the filter. I have had K&N on my BMWs for over 15 years and not any issues. Keep the MAF clean is the important part.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Giant Robot

Mein Auto: Scion FR-S
I avoid KN. Paper works well and you won't notice a difference unless you do major alterations to intake and exhaust.
"What are you going to replace your BMW with?"
"Another BMW, with a bigger engine!"
Old 09-16-2012, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i xdrive
hahaha
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
I know the K&N recharge kit does specify to oil only the bottom or dirt collecting side of the filter. Still use at you own risk. I prefer a new filter every 25k.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Quote:
I gotta share this story, even through it strays a bit off topic. Bear with me, can't help myself.
Last spring I was testing a slew of different cars since my wife had decided BMWs were for snobs and "jerks" (she really said a foul body part, but I am censoring.) I am sure some guys can relate, she wanted anything but a BMW as she had been driving 2 in a row and the lease was up.
As part of the search I went to an independent dealership to test an Audi. The owner told me he had stopped selling Mercedeses since too many sales had gone bad. Owners would come back after a couple of days with all manner of breakdowns, claim a refund or have repairs covered under 60 day warranty. This coincided with the guy's wife who drove a Mercedes SUV. In one year he had to replace the transmission, the A/C system, fuel injectors, you name it. And then rght after New Year's the car somehow caught fire in the engine compartment and his garage burned down! At this point his eyes were bugging out and he was jumping up and down screaming how Mercedes had no proper quality control anymore and the cars were a menace to owners. LOL, some seriously bad luck with that car. he was lucky it was a detached garage.
I've never been a Merc fan, but this guy made a strong case for steering clear of them.

Last edited by Oceans10; 09-22-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Pure Awesomness

Mein Auto: E39
ive built a lot of show/ race vehicles in the past... mostly trucks and muscle cars.. K&N is only good for non electronic classic cars... AFE is far better... im running their pro-dry intake system on my car and i love it... no problems what so ever
Old 09-22-2012, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i Sport Package
I ran a 2008 335I with an AFE dual cone air induction system (oiled) for two years with ZERO issues. Not as loud as some K&N systems I used in the past, but louder than stock and you could really hear the turbos spooling up.