Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Classifieds > Cars - Private Party

Cars - Private Party
Do you have a car for sale? Are you looking for a new BMW? Check here daily as well as searching on craigslist and eBay Motors

Old 09-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: '01 330Ci Coupe
FS/FT: SoCal. 2001 BMW 330Ci Sport Pckg. CLEAN TITLE. 130,xxx mi, 5-spd, Stock. $7000

Hey all,

I'm looking preferably for a trade, but am now willing to sell, my 2001 BMW 330Ci Coupe. The reason? I'm a snowboarder and I'd like something that I can take to the mountain without worry. Again, prefer a trade, but asking $7000 o.b.o.

That said, here's what I have:

- Make/Model/Year: 2001 BMW 330Ci Coupe Sport Package.
- Title: CLEAN. In-Hand
- Smogged 9/18/2012. Registration good through October 2013.
- Mileage: 130,xxx (Oil changed 10/05/12 at 130,013 miles).
- Interior: Black leatherette (not leather).
- Exterior: Black
- Transmission: 5-speed Manual
- Drivetrain: FR
- Sound System: Harmon Kardon

Here's some pics, but there's more here: http://imgur.com/a/SEKcr#0

--

To clairify, the reason I'd prefer a trade is because this is my daily driver and I can't be without a car for too long. It's going to get complicated to work out schedules with myself, the seller of my future vehicle, and yourself (the buyer).

Trade or Buy, I'm trying to keep it relatively local. I do not want to deal with shipping anything. I'll drive to you to make a trade, but please be willing to drive to me to make a sale. I'm in L.A., the farthest I'd want to do is San Diego or Fresno. However, Vegas, Bay Area, and Arizona friends, if the car is perfect enough, then I might be willing to make that drive.

If you are looking to buy instead of trade,PLEASE BE WILLING TO WORK WITH ME WHILE I FIND MY NEXT CAR. I'm currently looking, but have not contacted any sellers because I would need to sell my car to have money to buy a new one. Simple enough right? Asking: $7000 o.b.o. (There is a reserve price, serious offers only) Cash only please.

Details:

Bought the car in April of 2011, I am the 3rd owner. I'd like to be as up-front as I can be, so here goes:

Driven it a little over 10,000 miles since. It is basically stock. Previous owner changed corner (from Orange to Clear) and tailights (from orange/red/white to red/white). No engine mods.

Put about $2000 into it right off the bat (seller sold it for well under KBB with the understanding that there was work to be done so I knew what i was getting). Fixed control arms, tie rods, driver-side doorlock. Have records for everything (work done by EMW in Arcadia, CA. Great BMW shop. Yelp em!).

There are still a few things that need to be done that I haven't gotten to, basically because they did not bother me, and I don't have the money right now. These are the main ones that I know of.

1. Passenger-side window regulator needs to be replaced. It's still fully functional, but it makes noise when rolling the window all the way down.

2. Passenger-side windshield jet is broken. Nothing to do with the pump, it's just a little plastic piece that has cracked ($40 part), so the water leaks if you try to use the windshield jets. I might replace it soon, but as of right now, it's broken.

3. Trunk lid is loose. Was like this when i bought it. It isn't in any imminent danger of falling off, but it is something that you should know about.

4. Will need new rear tires soon (Not Imminent, but soon).

5. Front bumper has been touched up (by previous owner).

All in all, the car drives great. I'd give the exterior an 8/10, the interior a 7/10. A/C still blows cold. There is normal wear and tear for a car 11 years old (a couple small dings/scratches). No major eye-sores, though. If it matters, I have never, nor have any of the previous owners, tracked the car or smoked.

KBB Values as of 10/21/12:

Excellent: $7787
Very Good: $7437
Good: $7212
Fair: $6287

I'd say, as is (which is how I plan to trade), my car qualifies as "Good". If all the work gets done, then I would say it qualifies in the "Very Good" category. Not saying the price of the work needed is the difference in the KBB, but that if the work gets done, it'll be in "Very Good" condition. Honestly, I love my 330Ci, and if I could take it in snow, I'd keep it

--

FOR POTENTIAL TRADERS:

Okay, so that's what I have. Here's what I'm looking for. And again, the main reason I'm looking to trade is so I can drive in snow, albeit California snow, but snow nonetheless:

- Equal Value or Lesser Value + Cash. I don't have money right now to give you cash to trade up. Not looking for something too old, probably 2000+.

- CLEAN TITLE. No salvages please.

- AWD/4WD. I know you can take FF cars in snow, but the less often I have to worry about chains, the better. MUST BE AWD/4WD!!!

- Manual transmission. Nothing Automatic and no Tiptronics please.

- Engine: 4 or 6 cyl. No 8 or 10 cylinder engines.

- Stock. As much as possible. Mainly the suspension and rims. I don't want anything too low to the ground as snow can build up in the wheel-welds on heavy snow days (so I've been told). As for the rims, my main concern is them being stock is because I may have to use snow chains on some days and (good) chains for low profile tires are harder to find and more expensive.

I don't mind tasteful (and street legal) lighting mods (i.e. Angel Eye kits on a BMW, Projector kits on any car), or sound system mods. I suppose a CAI never hurt anyone either, long as it passes smog.

- As far as body type goes, looking for something sporty, yet roomy. Have to be able to load the boards and gear. Probably looking toward a sedan or wagon but the right suv/truck could do it for me. Nothing too big though. I want to be able to park without considering the size of the stall.

This is my wishlist in order of preference (This is just a guideline, if you have something you think I might like, please PM me, you never know!):

1. Subaru Forester ('03-newer, preferably XT)
2. Subaru Impreza WRX ('02-newer. Sedan or Wagon).
3. Saab 9-2x (Aero or Linear)
4. Subaru Forester ('01-02)
4. Nissan Xterra ('01-04)
5. Nissan Frontier Crewcab ('01-04. not extended bed)

P.S. Thanks for looking! This was a long-ass ad, I know

Last edited by Smelly Cat; 10-24-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Price Lowered, KBB/preferences updated
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM

Bump, still looking.

I realize that I'm making things difficult by asking for trade only. If you're interested in my car and know someone who's selling theirs, then maybe we can arrange a three-team deal, where I sell to you and buy from them. I just can't be without a car, 'cause I'd have no way to get around.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Why not buy a set of winter wheels & tires and stick with your awesome coupe? My only issue with my old coupe re: snowboarding, was that I didn't have fold down seats, so it was tough to take the board with me. Roof rack would have solved that issue...

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Why not buy a set of winter wheels & tires and stick with your awesome coupe? My only issue with my old coupe re: snowboarding, was that I didn't have fold down seats, so it was tough to take the board with me. Roof rack would have solved that issue...
First off, thanks for calling my coupe awesome

I've been doing what research I can, though I didn't grow up in snow so I don't have that hands on experience with what actually works and what doesn't.

It seems that yes, winter tires make all the difference, and that even our Bimmers (who seem notoriously hated upon when it comes to snow) function just fine with the right set.

My understanding is that as a general rule, you want an AWD car w/ winter tires. What you don't want is a RWD car. I know that it can be done, but I am from Hawaii, where we dealt with snow never. Though I do have an understanding of the principle's of driving in snow, hands on is much different and I don't want my test car to be this car.

Another thing is that the times I have gone up to the mountain, there have been different levels of snow... i related it to our threat-con level. It is something like, but not exactly like this:

-At it's least dangerous level, all vehicles are cleared (by California State Law) to be on the roads.

-Then there is another level, where all vehicles that are not 4WD/AWD must have chains on their drive-train wheels (or something to this extent).

-Then the next level up requires all cars must have chains.

The less often I have to chain off, the happier I'd be.

So with all this, let's say that an AWD car with winter tires and chains for good measure is as safe as one can be? let's go with A-F. Let's say that's an A. How safe can my 330Ci be with snow tires and chains?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Here's how I learned how to drive in snow:

We had a pretty decent snowstorm in small town VA where I grew up. Think 2-3 inches. My dad drove me out to a vacant parking lot and I got in the driver's seat and took over. Learn by doing! Nothing to run into, and I kept the speed down. After an hour I drove us home and it was great.

Fast forward 3 years and we had a boatload of snow at Virginia Tech. Like 2 feet over a weekend. I knocked the snow off my roof and dug out a path from my parking spot to the plowed road, and drove to work. I was the only person at work in a car, and even some 2WD pickups decided not to go. I had mad cred!

My suggestion to you is to take a driver's control clinic class such as the one the BMW CCA puts on, then take a road trip to like, Utah, or something and drive a bit in a parking lot with fresh powder. Winter tires + chains will allow you to handle pretty much any road condition as long as you drive properly. Honestly in SoCal + occasional winter trips, good all-seasons should be fine, with chains as a backup.

Knowledge really goes a long way, though, so if you're interested, see if you can get some hands on training.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM

Awesome man, Thanks for the input. I'll definitely have a look into the classes. I do think it'd be a lot of fun to drive in snow (and be good at it). I feel like there'd be a fair amount of drifting, since most bimmers are FR.

I've been up to bear mountain in SoCal about 5 times (Never in my car. Always in my buddy's Colorado), and 4 of those times were fine. But there was one time that made me want to trade my car for a AWD car. We got caught in the storm and I saw about 3 or 4 cars spun out or that were in accidents. I don't remember exactly which vehicles, but I do remember looking at them and noticing that none of them were AWD. We ourselves spun out once, luckily there was no oncoming traffic.

Like I said, I do love my baby. It took me so long just to find the perfect car for my situation, but I'd still feel more comfortable with something AWD. Who knows, maybe I'll find someone with an Xi
Old 10-05-2012, 05:37 PM

bump. still looking. Oil changed 10/05/12 at 130,103 miles.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM

TTT. Preferences updated.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Actually I agree with petriej... I grew up in the UK and saw snow like three times my entire life growing up (the big snows in England are a REALLY recent phenomenon after a significant warm period during the 70's, 80's and 90's). I also never remember snow that stuck around more than a day or so, and even then was only an inch or less. So I never learned to drive in snow until I was 24 when I first moved to Missouri.

I've had AWD cars... my girlfriend drives a Jaguar X-Type (awesome AWD car) that she loves to death despite the occasional expensive repair bill. I've had Subaru Outbacks and a couple of SVX's... but honestly I've also now had three rear-wheel-drive BMW's; a 330i, a 545i and now my 135i. A set of snow tires on some rather ugly but functional rims and there hasn't been a snowfall I've not been able to get through. I also ran into snow on the second day I had the car on the Cherohala Skyway as evidenced by this photo;

This was on brand new summer tires, and a car I'd only driven for a few hours the day before. No problems... the traction control took care of it lovely... unlike many cars the traction control in a BMW actually does work.

Anyway, I digress; I would recommend a good set of snow tires and rims instead of selling the car. You've got a beauty of a car, and if I had one to trade you I might be all over it.

Good luck whatever you decide
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the input Thumper 330. I was thinking about it, but the longer the search for another car drags on, the more I find myself leaning towards something a little roomier as well. I want to be able to take 3 people along with me, with their boards and gear as well, without having to squeeze in. At the same time, I don't want something over-sized, 'cause I'd like to be able to park it... most places, if that makes sense. Thanks for the compliment on the car also, I wish you did have something for me because I've gotten no responses from the forums, and the few responses I've had from craigslist were not what I was looking for...
Old 10-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Bump. Willing to sell now. Still prefer a trade though!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:42 PM

TTT. Lowered price, updated KBB and preferences
Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM

Bump. Price lowered again. This process is exhausting...