Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Replace Cooling System Hoses at Dealer.

My 2009 650i has reached 59k miles - service due.

The service consultant say I need wheels alignment - $300

And replace all cooling hoses at $958.77 (parts) + $1305.00 (labors). He says all engine hoses, but this is really necessary and only do once every 60k miles. I just recently move to Torrance, CA so I don't really know any trustable local shop so I decided to just pay that amount for a peace of mind.

I wanna know how much it would be if I do it at a local shop? And is it really necessary to replace all the engine hoses at 60k miles?

P.S I have extended warranty and maintenance until 100k mile.
Ads by Google
Old 09-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
You should be able to negotiate your alignment for around 100 to 125.00. It is best to get this done at the dealer due to the active steering. I got mine done for 100.00 at the dealer. All hose replacements is kind of overkill, but if your warranty covers this, let them do it. Below is a link for your cooling hoses to compare pricing. This seems very high to me, but your SA gets paid on commission. You might want to see what an INDY might charge, for a 2nd opinion. Now I know why they say everything cost more in California.

Good Luck!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:08 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Why would you replace all the hoses on a 3 year old car??????????

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 09-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

I really have no knowledge about this matter. I always do whatever the consultant says that make sense. This is my first BMW so I really love it. I think from now on anything that not included in the warranty and maintenance package I should come here and ask first. Feel so dumb.

Btw, so how many miles or years is the best to replace engine hoses? (economically and efficiency)

Thanks, appreciate your helps a lot guys
Old 09-23-2012, 04:29 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
You should be able to negotiate your alignment for around 100 to 125.00. It is best to get this done at the dealer due to the active steering. I got mine done for 100.00 at the dealer. All hose replacements is kind of overkill, but if your warranty covers this, let them do it. Below is a link for your cooling hoses to compare pricing. This seems very high to me, but your SA gets paid on commission. You might want to see what an INDY might charge, for a 2nd opinion. Now I know why they say everything cost more in California.

Good Luck!
Is that possible to bargain with the dealer? I will try next time.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Michael

I'll be honest I have never known all the hoses be replaced as a preventative maintenance. They are normally replaced singularly as and when the have a fault, perished etc. Hoses can last the lifetime of the car, plus BMW hoses are generally of a higher quality. I would contact BMW direct and ask the question, there is nothing in the TIS documents to advocate this?????

Old 09-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
I'll be honest I have never known all the hoses be replaced as a preventative maintenance. They are normally replaced singularly as and when the have a fault, perished etc. Hoses can last the lifetime of the car, plus BMW hoses are generally of a higher quality. I would contact BMW direct and ask the question, there is nothing in the TIS documents to advocate this?????
+1 on this, I have never replaced a hose before it failed. That sounds dumb, Reytran tell the guy no if you have to pay for it. If it is free on the maintenance then go for it.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Sadly I already say yes before posting this topic I supposed to get her back Sat morning but they delayed till the end of the day. I was out of town by the afternoon. Today service department closes. I might be charged for the loaner $150 for the late return. Maybe next time I'm just gonna drive to Santa Monica BMW. I heard it's slightly cheaper there. This South Bay BMW is one of the most expensive dealer.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 PM

I would have a talk with the GM & BMW concerning this issue. It sounds like your factory warranty is over, but the only reason to do this would be for the SA to pad his wallet. I would ask tomorrow for all of the hoses removed, & have someone explain to me why this was necessary? I would even think the mechanic was wondering why? I doubt their garbage truck runs 1st thing in the morning, so demand your hoses back for inspection!

It is ashamed that dealers are allowed to do this!

Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Michael

hi ! If the work is already done and you are getting your car back, plus you are paying for this out of your own pocket!! I would contact BMW North America and tell them everything as I am sure that if they believe one of their dealers is defrauding their customers they will want to know and perhaps something could be done about it.
If you can perhaps scan the invoice and let some of the knowledgeable guys read it, they might read something that would give a better understanding, as to be candid, you seem a little lost in these matters !!!! (clearly protect/blank out any data that is personal as this is an open forum).

Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

This is an estimation, service request paper only not final receipt. I will upload the final receipt tomorrow after I got her back. This will be a great lesson for me. The SA seems very nice, polite and knowledgeable. He shoots me an email updating about the price for cooling hoses replaced (I posted in first thread). Well, "a peace of minds costs thousands of cash". Look at the bright sight that my baby is "well-maintain"... sight...
Most of them are included in the BMW extended warranty except the wheels alignment and cooling hoses.

Last edited by reytran; 09-24-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
This is an estimation, service request paper only not final receipt. I will upload the final receipt tomorrow after I got her back. This will be a great lesson for me. The SA seems very nice, polite and knowledgeable. He shoots me an email updating about the price for cooling hoses replaced (I posted in first thread). Well, "a peace of minds costs thousands of cash". Look at the bright sight that my baby is "well-maintain"... sight...
Most of them are included in the BMW extended warranty except the wheels alignment and cooling hoses.

I'm in SoCal also. send me a PM and I may have some suggestions on someone to call at BMW NA.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 AM

Reytran, if you take this up with the BMW NA rep I would be curious to see if BMW actually recommends that you replace hoses at 60k miles. If so, then you were not duped and the SA did not steer you wrong, at least by BMW's standards. By common car sense it is completely off base though.

However, if they should have been just inspected, not replaced, then the guy was soaking you for more service dollars.

Also, there is no way you should have to pay for the extra loaner time, they were the ones who delayed your delivery!

Last edited by tampamark; 09-24-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Wake up in the morning and I got this message

" Good morning Mr. Tran, after checking your engine cooling system, we found out that your auxilliary water pump is leaking on saturday, we ordered your part and hopefully will be in on monday, I guess as they say "blessing in disguise", if you would have traveled with your vehicle, then coolant would have leak. I will give you update on your vehicle today as soon as the part comes in."

I don't know what else they gonna come up with. Just hope that my baby gonna be fine in the end.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Michael

seems they have fallen in love with your credit card American Express Black ??????

Old 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

I sent my car in on Thursday and the coolant was leaking on Saturday... "Blessing in disguise"... Really nothing to say.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM

"blessing in disguise" for maybe the SA who is paid on commission.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
Wake up in the morning and I got this message

" Good morning Mr. Tran, after checking your engine cooling system, we found out that your auxilliary water pump is leaking on saturday, we ordered your part and hopefully will be in on monday, I guess as they say "blessing in disguise", if you would have traveled with your vehicle, then coolant would have leak. I will give you update on your vehicle today as soon as the part comes in."

I don't know what else they gonna come up with. Just hope that my baby gonna be fine in the end.

At this point, did you authorize this repair for the aux. water pump? If not tell them it was not authorized, & you are not paying for it. You need to find another shop fast, or trade for a BMW with a new warranty.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Coupe 6MT
Holy shiet, replace all hoses?? Even my 18 year old Toyota Supra turbo had all of its original hoses. Is it going to be covered by your maintenance coverage? Also, always check every socal bmw dealer websites, go to the specials menu at the top and click on "service specials." Every dealer has different offers and some will take any competitor coupon. Curious, what dealer did you go to?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
At this point, did you authorize this repair for the aux. water pump? If not tell them it was not authorized, & you are not paying for it. You need to find another shop fast, or trade for a BMW with a new warranty.
To his credit, he is not complaining that the costs are breaking him! Doesn't seem to stressed about $2100 in hoses as a preventive measure so maybe not that big of an issue?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

I request to see the General Manager to ask about the issue. Definitely the leaking coolant is not charged. BTW my car has extended warranty from BMW until 100k miles.

I went to South Bay BMW in Torrance.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM

I don't understand what you are saying?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Im using my phone to reply so its hard to quote everyone posts. Therefore i replies all in one, sorry for the confusing.

P.S: I got my car back and paid ~ 2.7K overall.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
All I can say to this is that they got you coming and going reytran. Sorry to see that these dealerships operate in this manner. I do understnad that they are sales people overall. Your service advisor is not a mechanic but as you can see, a sale person for the service department. They are also chraged with bringing money into the dealerships. Since you are new in the area, start looking for an indy shop, and as roseng suggested, send him a PM to get a good line on a shop. Even though your car is a CPO, it does not cover things such as this, which is why they are quick to charge you because your car is over the 50K so your maintenance plan is no longer valid.
Take this as a learning experience and know that they will never get you like that again.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 09-26-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650I
This is a terrible end to a horrible story man. But you should def seek retribution for an obvious cheating by the dealers service department. If you choose to just live with it, its on you but you were absolutely cheated out of nearly 3K. I would be pissed...