Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-24-2015, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
How to describe walnut blasting method to indie

Hey everyone.

I'm starting to get intermittent SES lights thrown and am beginning to get a little leery of CBU. No record of it so far.

I've got a great indie mechanic but he has no experience walnut blasting. He told me to get some information together and he'd buy a unit and we'd look at getting mine cleaned. Smart guy...former Land Rover master tech.

Any mechanics on here? Anyone work at a BMW shop?

Alex
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Here are a couple of bulletins. I didn't recheck them before I sent them, so hope they are the right ones.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B110314_Preliminary_Work.pdf (2.55 MB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Carbon Cleaning SI B 11 03 14.pdf (955.4 KB, 37 views)
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M57
Looks like a piece of cake. What could go wrong? Is it me or does this look more involved than a heart cath?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:59 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Alex,

Go to you tube and you can see many examples. Caution: Those are gas engines not diesels. The diesel has a more intricate intake manifold.

BMW manufactures specific wands and nozzles to get into all the crooks and crannies on the diesel engine.

I would not want to experiment with this myslef, but I'm far from a do it yourself auto mechanic.

I suspect the equipment will set you back some $1000 or so, assuming you can get the required wands and nozzles.

My Indie here, who works on a lot of BMWs (not diesels) said it would not be worthit for him to invest in this equipment. Just not enough demand for it.

He did however offer to do a chemical soak and flush, which is another method you can find on youtube.

Let us know how it works out either way.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 03-01-2015, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: Audi
Bavarian Auto has a kit available for rent, and you can buy media, gaskets, etc. This is for the N54/N55 gas engines, but I expect diesel would be similar. I'd call them and get your Indie to use their kit.

http://blog.bavauto.com/15543/bmw-di...-walnut-blast/
Old 03-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 10-335d/04-SL500/11 TDI
To me, if you have to explain walnut shell cleaning/blasting to your mechanic, you shouldn't let him do the work. Don't be the guinea pig. Plain and simple.
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
2008 Audi A4
2006 VW GTi

Last edited by dragoncoach; 03-01-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:16 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post
Bavarian Auto has a kit available for rent, and you can buy media, gaskets, etc. This is for the N54/N55 gas engines, but I expect diesel would be similar. I'd call them and get your Indie to use their kit.

http://blog.bavauto.com/15543/bmw-di...-walnut-blast/
Same basic walnut pressure equipment, but special wands and attachments just for the diesel intake manifold.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 03-01-2015, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Same basic walnut pressure equipment, but special wands and attachments just for the diesel intake manifold.
Yep. Just as the SIB states. The technician will have to bend some of the wands to a prescribed angle.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
...and flash in the latest DDE software to be able to clear the incremental wheel adaptation. Otherwise the zero-mass adaptation faults could set - no more injector or DDE replacements after this is done.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncoach View Post
To me, if you have to explain walnut shell cleaning/blasting to your mechanic, you shouldn't let him do the work. Don't be the guinea pig. Plain and simple.
I've got to agree. N4S
Old 03-03-2015, 12:04 AM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1118 View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm starting to get intermittent SES lights thrown and am beginning to get a little leery of CBU. No record of it so far.

I've got a great indie mechanic but he has no experience walnut blasting. He told me to get some information together and he'd buy a unit and we'd look at getting mine cleaned. Smart guy...former Land Rover master tech.

Any mechanics on here? Anyone work at a BMW shop?

Alex
I noticed this thread earlier when I was hitting the "new posts" button, and wanted to chime in for a moment. I find it very interesting to hear that he has no experience with this, as well as the other post about the indy thinking it was "not yet worth investing in the equipment", because there are so many brands now that are using DI. I know a couple of brothers who own an indy shop that was established just a few years ago or so, and they've done a number of brands already, just not BMW. All they would have to do is buy the wand and intake adapter for my N54 if I was to bring it in. DIs are found with... Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Audi, VW, Chevy, Cadillac, Pontiac, and soon Chyrsler? Maybe BMW is among the worst offenders, but as these DI cars age, and as the tech becomes even more widespread, I think this job will be pretty common in the near future, if not already.

I just finally put together a system like the BavAuto, because I am nuts. However, know that the media blaster is exactly the same as the Harbor Freight one, $60. So, not $1000, assuming your indy has a nice compressor (I had to buy a beefier one). However, BMW's own blaster hits that price point all on its own, maybe even a bit more. It took me a while to find a photo, but here is what it looks like.

I talked with a BMW master tech when buying a new battery from my local indy, and he told me that the HF was what they used before they got their paws on the BMW. He says it clogged on him all the time, even with a a great compressor that never breaks a sweat. He says while the BMW one was way better, it too would occasionally clog. However, enough DIYers have used the HF successfully, so I attribute his impatience to having to this job so often.

Because I am not so experienced with tools, I found this site and bought the little flared adapter so that I could easily connect the wand to my stuff without having to modify on my own. http://www.bimmerhelp.info/Buy_Blasting_Tools.html

I hear the chemical soak doesn't really cut it, at least with my engine. However, some people get decent results with gun brushes, and a LOT of patience. I've read that walnuts are still much more effective, with much more immediate results.

BavAuto's video will be my main guide in giving it a shot, once I test my equipment, review the process, find the time, and muster the courage. A good video, but the problem is that he won't know how the diesel will produce additional difficulties I'm afraid. BTW, HF's instructions have its blaster assembled differently than in BavAuto's video. I may post pics in a thread in the near future asking E9X members about this.

I'm with the others, I would pass for a different guy. Having been in awkward situations myself, I don't like the potential of you as the customer having to bear some responsibility in in the training of the mechanic. Been there and done that! Good luck...