Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-14-2015, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, Z3 M-Roadster
Is it my imagination, or could my trans be slipping?

Ok, I know that this is a very hard question for anyone to answer without driving my car, but it seems that I am starting to notice a slight hesitation when I accelerate from a stop in "D". It seems that the engine will rev and increase RPM's slightly and then engage the transmission, and I do not remember this happening in the past. I drive this car every day.

It is a 2011 335d, 55,000 miles on it and it had the CBU cleaning done in late December, 2014.

The rest of the shifts seem fine, and the power is still as awesome as usual.
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
I believe there is a 'hill holding' feature on these cars. I noticed it early on, especially when pulling in the garage which requires a stop waiting for the door to open. Under very light acceleration to pull into the garage, the car would not immediately move forward (we're talking a fraction of a second). At first I thought the transmission was going into neutral when stopped and the delay was it engaging forward, but believe it's actually holding of the brakes. It makes sure there is enough power developed so the car will not roll back on a hill before it releases the brakes.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
It's almost certainly not slipping under the conditions you described. Any chance this started right after the cbu cleaning? It kind of sounds like a crappy transmission tune/learn. Another option would be that the torque converter is failing but that also seems unlikely given that they have been holding up to a ton of power. Do you have the software/devices you would need to reset the transmission adaptations?

Last edited by Hoooper; 04-14-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:56 PM

I did not notice it until the past 2 weeks which has been 3 months since the CBU service.

I do not think that I have the tools to reset the transmission adaptations. Can you suggest what I need? I have no problems getting what I need to do it myself, in fact, I would love to have the tools.

It does not feel like a torque converter slipping, and in reality it does not feel like what I have experienced in transmissions slipping, that is just the best way to describe it. I have raced many cars which had torque converters and transmissions slipping.

Please point me to the tools I need. I would be grateful.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:28 PM

There are a few. I am using INPA now which you can get reliably set up on for like $100 and some software downloads. Bavtech tool also seems to work. I don't know if torque or bmwhat can do it but if they can I think those would be the cheapest and easiest
Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Could it be turbo lag?

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 04-14-2015, 06:53 PM

It does not feel like it...but I wonder. It almost feels like the delay is before the car actually starts moving and the turbo lag is typically after the car starts moving.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:12 PM
hang up and drive!

Our throttles are drive by wire no? Maybe that could be a factor?

I'm just throwing out WAGs (wild @ss guesses) here.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 04-17-2015, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, E28 M5, Clubman S
Mine does the same thing though much less with the evolve tune and now the JBD. Revs go up to 2000 or so before the car moves.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
It's almost certainly not slipping under the conditions you described. Any chance this started right after the cbu cleaning? It kind of sounds like a crappy transmission tune/learn. Another option would be that the torque converter is failing but that also seems unlikely given that they have been holding up to a ton of power. Do you have the software/devices you would need to reset the transmission adaptations?
I also recently had CBU cleaning and adaptation reset in California and am now having a similar characteristic occur up in Colorado. Elevation change is a differing factor, as is the manner of driving I mostly did after the cleaning and reset, which was long distance highway cruising and not much stop and start. For me particularly, 2nd gear from a stop "seems" more sluggish under 2.3k rpm than it did before I got the cleaning. However, 1st "feels" very responsive in comparison to before the cleaning. I don't typically use first though, unless I'm in auto mode. Else wise, the engine and drivetrain are performing how I'd expect. I'm still only averaging about 33mpg, but it seems like I am now able to modulate the go pedal very delicately to achieve much more efficient high speed cruising than before. Cruise control still wastes fuel at above 65mph, so it's a battle of how much I want to concentrate over relaxing. Best 100 miles I've recorded on the car computer were at an average speed of 82, achieving 49.6 mpg on a mostly flat grade and no wind(in Wyoming, no wind! Crazy).

110k miles so far and I did the cleaning at 100k as preventative maintenance, as the symptoms were appearing. Been lurking for awhile, but thought I'd start contributing some information to the community now that I've put the car through some paces.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasR View Post
Mine does the same thing though much less with the evolve tune and now the JBD. Revs go up to 2000 or so before the car moves.
Out of curiosity how do those instances compare to the feel of starting in 2nd?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I just finished a full build on my 335d trans
Old 04-24-2015, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, E28 M5, Clubman S
I don't recall having the 1/2 second or so hesitation to move when starting in second. It leaves the line much slower (unless you stomp on it) and that is so noticeable that it might mask the hesitation. I'll check that out this weekend.