Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Exclamation Err...What the hell happened here?

Ok...it's no secret I have coded the hell out of my car, from substantial VO Changes, Production Date Changed, and most every ECU FDL Coded in some way or another.

Well, I happened to notice last week that suddenly my car's oil measurement isn't working anymore. I never look at this, so exactly when or why this became a problem is completely unknown.

It is telling me I need to be "stationary" and that the "gear needs to be in either N or P", even though the car is parked?

My first thought was maybe this is a byproduct of coding VIM; however, VIM only disables the Speedlocks, as opposed to say the hardware VIM modules (CAN Filter) that tricks the car into thinking it is stationary, so I can't believe VIM Coding is the issue.

The dealer had my car on their computer for 4 hours Friday, and has no idea what the problem is. They opened up a case and are waiting to here back from BMW NA or Germany on it. I couldn't wait any longer on them, so I took my car back and I am dropping it off tomorrow morning where they can have it all day.

So, given these two screens are relatively unused by most I think, I'd appreciate anyone who has done some coding, particularly VIM coding, check your oil measurement screens and see if maybe you have the same issue.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - Vehicle Info - Vehicle Status - Engine Oil Level.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	342946   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - Vehicle Info - Vehicle Status - Engine Measure Engine Oil Level.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	342947  

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2012, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
@shawnsheridan,

I have coded VIM and I have never seen that issue come up (I do check the oil level all the time). Anything else I can check?

JEG23
Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG23 View Post
@shawnsheridan,

I have coded VIM and I have never seen that issue come up (I do check the oil level all the time). Anything else I can check?

JEG23
No, but thanks. Did you by chance also code SAT?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
No, but thanks. Did you by chance also code SAT?

Code SAT for display of S1-S7? I have done that coding.

I will PM you my list of code changes.

JEG23
Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Code SAT for display of S1-S7? I have done that coding.

I will PM you my list of code changes.

JEG23
No but thanks. I don't need a list. My only thoughts were it could possibly be related to VIM or SAT. Short of that, I am out of ideas.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW F10 528i M Sport
Did you drive the car long enough to reach Operating temperature. Usually this is where the needle is half way through.
I had a similar scare and thought it was related to coding, but after driving the car for a while, I checked the oil measurement and it was functioning as expected.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosg View Post
Did you drive the car long enough to reach Operating temperature. Usually this is where the needle is half way through.
I had a similar scare and thought it was related to coding, but after driving the car for a while, I checked the oil measurement and it was functioning as expected.
It's hosed. I have driven it several times now, including just tonight where it ran hard for 30 minutes, and it is still messed up. I guess I'll see what the dealer comes up with tomorrow.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
I think this is a good chance to get the updated software..... Give it a try
Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 PM

Well, it did not go well at all today. The short version is that my service advisor called me and said that BMW advised them to "encode" the car. I think that means program, but I am not sure. Anyway, the car couldn't be "encoded" due to an issue with my combox, as in they needed to "remove combox as your car doesn't have it but the car thinks it does and replace the sun roof module". Knowing what I have done, I can see where the combox could be causing an "encoding" issue, but the Sunroof Module? Really?

Now, the technician knows my car is coded. In fact he is a coder himself, and he knows me from the forums, and he is a good guy I think, but for reasons I don't understand at all, he seems pretty pissed off that my car is coded and that it gave him all kinds of trouble when he tried to "encode" it. Anyway, he rather tersely informed me to return the car to the factory settings, and when it comes back in for the sun roof module and "encoding" again, that if it still has problems it would not be under warranty and it will start at 1hr customer pay.

I don't know if BMW is giving him grief over the coding, or if he is actually doing me a favor and trying to protect me from BMW and them knowing about the coding, but his reaction was a complete surprise given I know he favors and supports coding.

While I am sure I know what the issue is with my combox (it is one of two things), and it could be easily corrected by me, I guess next week when I return from LA, I'll set the entire car to factory original coding and see if they can get through the "encoding" process, and see if that actually fixes the oil measurement system. If they still have a problem "encoding" it though after it is returned to factory condition, unless they can prove my prior coding is somehow preventing it from be "encoded" now, I really do not see that they have grounds to deny fixing it under warranty.

So, stay tuned...

Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Amazing!

I hope issues get resolved with the default restore. Keep us updated.

JEG23
Old 09-24-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Amazing!

I hope issues get resolved with the default restore. Keep us updated.

JEG23
Thanks JEG23!

Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2011
Best wishes Shawn.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 AM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Mein Auto: bmw
You never know after you code everything back to default that the oil measurement might work again.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
You never know after you code everything back to default that the oil measurement might work again.
Sure, it is possible. I hope not though because if I am going to go through all the trouble of returning the car to factory coding condition, I at least want the car programmed with 47.5.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: F10
Shawn,

Over our conversations, I know who you're talking about and frankly I'm surprised about his attitude coming into this, since he is so active in coding.

Have they at a minimum checked to see if the oil level sensor is communicating with the car? Replace the sunroof sensor... WTF? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. These cars are so touchy that they can't take a "recode" with a piece of hardware altered by coding, yet they take updates fine with VO changes (looking at you DreamCar ). It just doesn't make sense.

When I had the "global" update done on my car they couldn't code the DSC module. Surprise, it was because the DSC module was kaputt! I guess they're ruling everything out before they pull the oil level sensor and test it?

It sucks that you have to put it all back to stock because of their inability to talk to their own cars. However, if they can't recode it after you put everything back to stock then BMW should reevaluate the level of technology they place in their cars. Let me know if you need anything.

Sean

Last edited by ImSW1; 09-25-2012 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSW1 View Post
Shawn,

Over our conversations, I know who you're talking about and frankly I'm surprised about his attitude coming into this, since he is so active in coding.

Have they at a minimum checked to see if the oil level sensor is communicating with the car? Replace the sunroof sensor... WTF? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. These cars are so touchy that they can't take a "recode" with a piece of hardware altered by coding, yet they take updates fine with VO changes (looking at you DreamCar ). It just doesn't make sense.

When I had the "global" update done on my car they couldn't code the DSC module. Surprise, it was because the DSC module was kaputt! I guess they're ruling everything out before they pull the oil level sensor and test it?

It sucks that you have to put it all back to stock because of their inability to talk to their own cars. However, if they can't recode it after you put everything back to stock then BMW should reevaluate the level of technology they place in their cars. Let me know if you need anything.

Sean
Yeah, I am surprised too. I think there is some irony in the fact that way back when you, DreamCar and I started this, he offered to "teach" me how to code my car, for a fee of course. Yet, now coding is a giant no-no. Don't get me going, I'll get pissed off all over again.

The bottom line with troubleshooting / programming is that they do what ISID tells them to do, and what the PUMA advisors from BMW NA and Munich tell them to do, whether it make sense or not. I don't think they have a choice in the matter. If they deviate, they get in serious trouble.

Check you email. I sent you something this morning I think you will be very interested in.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to aherman535
Mein Auto: 2010 535xit
Interesting, I may have the same problem. I'm not sure how long you have to drive for the oil status to be available.

I do know that to manually measure you have to be stopped. I think it has always been that way.

I have coded welcome lights, ASS, Remote Key stuff, High beam assist, truck close.

This may be my excuse to get HUC 157 gone. BTW, I do have SAT if that matters, but haven't coded anything there.

Hope you get it figured out.

Andrew

Prior ED 2010 535xit Nepune Blue, everything but night vision -gone but not forgotten (miss the wagon)
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM

If it makes any difference, I just went out and had the car manually measure oil level, took aobut a minute and worked fine. Haven't been on the road to check the other method.

Hope that helps some.

Andrew

Prior ED 2010 535xit Nepune Blue, everything but night vision -gone but not forgotten (miss the wagon)
Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 PM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Yeah, I am surprised too. I think there is some irony in the fact that way back when you, DreamCar and I started this, he offered to "teach" me how to code my car, for a fee of course. Yet, now coding is a giant no-no. Don't get me going, I'll get pissed off all over again.

The bottom line with troubleshooting / programming is that they do what ISID tells them to do, and what the PUMA advisors from BMW NA and Munich tell them to do, whether it make sense or not. I don't think they have a choice in the matter. If they deviate, they get in serious trouble.

Check you email. I sent you something this morning I think you will be very interested in.
Makes perfect sense. Back then he was making mad money off of coding with E-Sys since there were not too many people that had it and understood how to use it. Since then with these threads from bimmerfest, his well went dry and he is bitter about it as money on the side is no longer coming in. I know exactly who u are speaking of and this kind gentlemen got me banned off BMW coding for two months as I wrote something that insulted him! Lol

Last edited by cn555ic; 09-25-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aherman535 View Post
Interesting, I may have the same problem. I'm not sure how long you have to drive for the oil status to be available.

I do know that to manually measure you have to be stopped. I think it has always been that way.

I have coded welcome lights, ASS, Remote Key stuff, High beam assist, truck close.

This may be my excuse to get HUC 157 gone. BTW, I do have SAT if that matters, but haven't coded anything there.

Hope you get it figured out.

Andrew
Let me know if yours is the same after running for a while.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Makes perfect sense. Back then he was making mad money off of coding with E-Sys since there were not too many people that had it and understood how to use it. Since then with these threads from bimmerfest, his well went dry and he is bitter about it as money on the side is no longer coming in. I know exactly who u are speaking of and this kind gentlemen got me banned off BMW coding for two months as I wrote something that insulted him! Lol
They actually banned you? That's too funny.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM

Shawn,

I had several 2-3 mile trips this afternoon. When going to vehicle info and then oil level - it said Oil level OK, but no graph. Only way I got graph was to stop and measure.

I remember reading something about 6-8 mile for system to measure in the book. But it may still only show "oil level OK" - I don't remember before I coded system.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow or Thursday.

Andrew

Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aherman535 View Post
Shawn,

I had several 2-3 mile trips this afternoon. When going to vehicle info and then oil level - it said Oil level OK, but no graph. Only way I got graph was to stop and measure.

I remember reading something about 6-8 mile for system to measure in the book. But it may still only show "oil level OK" - I don't remember before I coded system.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow or Thursday.

Andrew
Ok. Thanks. You are in good shape then. It seems it is just mine. I don't think it's coding related. Next week when I am back in Houston, I'll bring it back in for service. Or I may just stay here in San Diego and never go back...

Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Shawn,

Got the email, and appreciate the info. I'll email you in a bit, no rush, I know you're on the road. San Diego is nice, I just wish I could afford to live there.

I haven't done anywhere near the coding you've done, but I've changed a lot of weird settings to see if they did anything. I've coded both VIM and SAT and my oil reading is functioning normally.

Is there anything you want me to test? Shoot me the coding location and I'll change it to see if affects the oil level reading. What's the worst that could happen?

Sean
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSW1 View Post
Shawn,

Got the email, and appreciate the info. I'll email you in a bit, no rush, I know you're on the road. San Diego is nice, I just wish I could afford to live there.

I haven't done anywhere near the coding you've done, but I've changed a lot of weird settings to see if they did anything. I've coded both VIM and SAT and my oil reading is functioning normally.

Is there anything you want me to test? Shoot me the coding location and I'll change it to see if affects the oil level reading. What's the worst that could happen?

Sean
No, but thanks. I think the oil sensor just went bad. I'll know a bit more when I reset everything back to factory condition this weekend.