Cracked EGR Cooler - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Cracked EGR Cooler

Hey all,

I just got my 2009 X5 diesel and I noticed a few things I didn't care for.

1. It would get a diesel smell inside the cabin randomly.
2. Sometimes it is really sluggish off the line at full throttle.

First I added the JBD on it and turned it up about half way. It REALLY helped the acceleration at half throttle but I still ran into issues right off the line especially at full throttle.

Since I bought it off of a small dealership I decided to take it to my local BMW dealership to give it a once over and refill the diesel exhaust fluid. I explained the issues I was having and they said I have a crack in my High Pressure EGR Cooler. This is causing an exhaust leak in the engine compartment. Fix is quoted at a mere 1700 bucks. They also gave me some tips and said that the diesel is a work horse and it's good to take it out and drive it hard fairly often (I am assuming to clean the DPF)

So a few days later for no reason it went into limp mode, and threw an check engine light with the code P0299 Turbo charger A under boost.

I decided to take her out and give her a good freeway run to try to get the DPF clean cycle to run. I was heading up into the mountains and on a fairly steep freeway hill it went into limp mode again. This time threw the code P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculator A flow excessive.

I have found that the cracked EGR cooler can cause limp mode. So questions are:

1. Has anyone tried to repair the crack in their EGR cooler instead of buying a new one?
2. Do all of my issues sound like they are related to the cracked cooler?
3. Is it safe to crank my JBD tuner all the way up?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12 X5 diesel
subscribed
Old 06-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Beat the pi$$ out of it- this is the best way to deal with engine issues.

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER 'the company that made the OE part" or.... 'A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label,"

OEM is NOT WHAT YOU BUY AT THE DEALER.

Don't believe me? Read:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-22-2017, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Welcome! Diesel is great engine indeed, but the emissions stuff can drive you nuts. Guessing it might be why it was traded in...

To your questions:

1. Has anyone tried to repair the crack in their EGR cooler instead of buying a new one?
Not that I recall. Don't think any of us bought one because BMW issued a recall on the EGR cooler so we got a new one for free. Not sure if the dealer told you about that. Try to find out if yours was replaced and if yes if there is any sort of goodwill they can do. There is a whole thread on the EGR cooler / smell in cabin.

2. Do all of my issues sound like they are related to the cracked cooler?
Diesel smell in cabin, definitely. The limp mode / codes, not sure.

3. Is it safe to crank my JBD tuner all the way up?
No idea. I have one and never put it on.

Is this your first time at the rodeo with an older BMW. If yes, a couple of thoughts regarding the whole situation:
- Stay away from the dealer on out warranty cars. Instead, find an independent shop (www.bimrs.org) or even better wrench it yourself if you're able.
- DPF regen can be tracked. You need software and a dongle. Carly is popular but not the cheapest. NCSExpert and ISTA are others, not as user friendly. You can view DPF regen history, ash mass, etc...
- While we are on DPF regen, the regen cycle will not take place if the coolant temp is not at a certain level. The thermostat is known to soft fail DPF regen will not occur which is bad news. Coolant temp can be monitored with tools above or on the gauge cluster by going into the hidden menu (G00gle BMW hidden menu). Normal operating temp is 88c, anything below 75c mean thermostat is failed, I can;t recall temp where regen won't take place but 65 or 70c rings a bell. DPF regen not taking place will cause all sorts of issues.

Good luck, hope this gets resolved swiftly and at a reasonable cost.

Last edited by FredoinSF; 06-22-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Beat the pi$$ out of it- this is the best way to deal with engine issues.
Lol ard
Old 06-22-2017, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5d - 06 325i
The EGR cooler needs to be removed to change the thermostat. Use the thermostat DIY to see how much work it is. May as well change the thermostat while it is out of the way.

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...-diy-pics.html
Old 06-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
One more comment- and this from years of modding cars....

Putting in mods; adding a tune; adding a JBD module to change the operating characteristic, should NEVER be done on a car that is having issues. This makes it almost impossible to troubleshoot and fix.

On a 996TT, sure- there are enough engine geniuses that can troubleshoot with mods. But an X5d is an orphans, orphan in terms of the number of peole that have modded these AND fixed them. Recognize that most of the posts on the Internet are from backyard yahoos (not all, MOST) that are just wildly guessing with these things. Importantly there are a few, usually not in the X5 world, but 335d, that have the skills. Beware of what posts and from whom you follow advice.

Good luck. Don't be surprised if taking off the JBD and getting it running perfectly as a stock car will be necessary.

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER 'the company that made the OE part" or.... 'A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label,"

OEM is NOT WHAT YOU BUY AT THE DEALER.

Don't believe me? Read:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Thank you for the info FredoinSF and good point ard.

Last edited by larrysupersport; 06-23-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I would suggest you to report the EGR Cooler to NTHSA website. BMW had constant and multiple issues with EGR valve, SCR and EGR cooler.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

BMW dealers service centers will tell you different things and will grab $$$$ from your pocket.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search