Concerns with passenger side airbag recall - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Concerns with passenger side airbag recall

I got a notice that BMW is ready to replace the side airbag. Last I read about it I was under the impression that it was a major project involving the removal of the dash. Is that the case? If so, I'll skip it because I wholeheartedly do not trust since every time someone touches the dash half the fasteners brakes and the car rattles even more than it already does...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017, 04:49 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
I agree. Consequent damages are unavoidable. I just got the driver's side availability notice.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
I too only got notice for driver's side.
Passenger side is fairly involved job and the concern is valid. Fully expect they're going to trash the leather on the dash, but still planning on getting it done.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: Tundra
I got the driver's side letter this week. Claim the repair takes about 1 hour.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I agree. Consequent damages are unavoidable. I just got the driver's side availability notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai View Post
I got the driver's side letter this week. Claim the repair takes about 1 hour.
Driver side was taken care of some time ago. It is a rather simple job since it involves two clips and a connector. They are basically replacing the horn plate... Other than a dirty driver side floor mat it didn't go tee bag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
I too only got notice for driver's side.
Passenger side is fairly involved job and the concern is valid. Fully expect they're going to trash the leather on the dash, but still planning on getting it done.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
If you don't mind, I'll let you be the Guinea pig... Let us know how it goes!

Old 10-07-2017, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post

If you don't mind, I'll let you be the Guinea pig... Let us know how it goes!

Yep... this is good reminder to call the dealer and inquire about parts. I'm swerving around with the original airbags on both sides.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

Old 10-07-2017, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Got both done . . . driver side, several months ago . . . passenger side a few months back.

Both of these are the final replacement - not interim replacements. I think, the folks in more humid climate got an interim replacement for the driver side.

Driver side can be done while you wait . . . passenger side is more involved, so got a loaner (2017 i3, asked for it, not bad, much better than the earlier i3).

I have the leather wrapped dash option (Option 4M5) . . . zero rattle or squeaks after the passenger side airbag replacement. I did the ask the shop foreman to have the tech with the most experience dismantling the dash as I didn't want any squeaks after the installation . . . currently at 121,000 miles, zero rattles . . . pretty impressed!

I got the SA to write "final replacement" of airbag per SIB XXX (forget the number now) . . . I felt this documentation was good to have when I sell the car . . . a knowledgeable buyer may ask this question.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 08 M5, 00 Z3, 12 X5 35d
Funny over on the E8X board the other day I was asking if they had recall on side airbag as thought my X70 did, no one had heard if a final replacement was available. Whats interesting is that side airbag has never come up in VIN check on any of my BMWs under the airbag fiasco.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
I just had my driver side "front" airbag taken care of last week. The SA said not all will require the passenger side "front" to be recalled but they have been told that BMW is reviewing and may recall many more for the passenger side "front" bag. If you haven't gotten a recall for it you still could!

Hey for those of you just saying "side" are you referring to the actual side airbags not located in the dash or steering wheel, or just not typing out "passenger side front"?

Old 10-09-2017, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 50i, '16 m235 xi
Got my driver's side airbag replaced a couple of weeks ago. Passenger's side has recall, but no parts available yet. FWIW, I'm not too worried about my dealership taking the dash apart because they did it once already to replace the evaporator and they did a good job putting everything back together.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search