Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 98 328i
Slave Cylinder (what a PIA!)

So, I figured out yesterday what was causing my delayed shifts, it was the slave cylinder. At first I thought it was bad because the rod was wobbly, but the new one is like this too. It holds pressure so I think it actually isn't bad, but just was filled with some kind of debris that made the piston hang up. So I got a new one at Advance (had a 40% off code so it only cost $25), and went to put it in today, and that's when the fun began. To make a long story short, it's really hard to tell if the push rod is where it is supposed to be. Apparently the rod is supposed to go in one spot, but it's so wobbly it's hard to tell if it's really going there. Well, I didn't get it in the proper spot. I went to bleed the system, and the clutch went to the floor. Looked up online and saw a post that said it was normal to have to pump the clutch 200 times to get pressure! So I pumped away. No pressure. But then I noticed fluid leaking, at first I thought I spilled some brake fluid when filling the reservoir, but nope, it was coming from between the transmission case and the engine. Pulled the slave and sure enough, the seal was blown. So anyway, went through the fun of putting another slave in, this time I made sure there was tension on the rod, which makes for a difficult time of putting the nuts on, but used a long extension with a socket over the end of the slave, I was able to get enough leverage this way to push it in at the same time as putting the nuts on. So, now it's on, and I bled the system, and now I've got some more issues
Now the clutch pedal is almost to the floor by the time the clutch disengages, and when I took it around the block it slipped badly once. I am thinking there might be some air still the line, which that's not a big deal, but the slippage is bothering me. Is it possible that all the brake fluid that got inside could be causing this? If so, what's the remedy?
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '93 325i sedan
If you got brake fluid on the friction material, it's usually not good. It soaks in and pretty much stays there. There really isn't a way to clean it once the fluid is soaked.