Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-23-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: Lotsa 7 series! E38 Fan!
Quickie advice needed please. 2000 740I 4.4L Vanos / Cam sensor wheel

Hello,

I was installing new valve cover gaskets today when I discovered a problem.

The drivers side camshaft nut appeared to be loose. My engine has Vanos so when I attempted to tighten the nut (which is reverse threaded) the cam turned and the crankshaft timing chain sprocket did not turn. I believe this is ok and normal since the vanos valve basically controls the connection between the crank sprocket and the camshaft. I'm pretty sure I didn't mess anything up because nothing was removed at the time. Right?

Problem = the cam timing "wheel" will spin freely........I had loosened the cam nut with intentions of installing Loctite on the threads to prevent it from coming loose in the future.

But after loosening the nut 3 to 4 turns it became obvious to me that the assembly is spring loaded......so I stopped. I didn't want to take something apart that might need a special tool to reassemble.

But the cam timing wheel spins freely with the nut slightly loose. From my experience I assumed that the wheel would be held in a particular position on the cam by a key way notch or possibly a dowel.......but it doesn't feel like anything is there to hold the wheel in a certain spot......

I'm kinda stuck.......I can't take the nut off to inspect for myself (for the reason I stated earlier) and I have not found any info online after an hour of searching.....

Can anyone tell me how this wheel should be properly positioned with the camshaft?

Since the cam sensor takes readings from this wheel I'm pretty sure that the wheel has to be perfectly lined up with the camshaft.........right?

I've gotta use my car for work tomorrow so I'm determined to get it together today...but it would be best if I got it together correctly!

Thank you in advance.

Johnny Montana
Ads by Google
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: Lotsa 7 series! E38 Fan!
I just discovered a video on YouTube that shows the proper setting of the cam timing wheel......and the technician is using a special tool.

Well, since I don't have One Hour FedEx delivery, I have no special tool to make this job easy and accurate.

I would like to find out if there is another way of effectively setting the wheel (which is free-wheeling, no pin, no dowel, )

Am I completely defeated until I get the tool or is there another way?

JH