Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Should I be concerned ( Opinions )

I wrote back in April concerning adding about 2-3 ounces of coolant, I do check my coolant every 3-4 weeks always when the vehicle has been sitting at least 24 hours, when I do check , the level is right at the min and not between min and max according to the owners manual, I do bring it up between min and max ( only about 2 ounces )but this seems to be a common occurence on a monthly basis when I do check the coolant, I have been on two 1200 mile road trips with no issues whatsover, the dealer pressure tested the cooling system back in April and found no leaks and I have myself looked at every connection for any white residue, I have never had to top off any vehicles ever and when doing an internet search this seems to be more common with BMW , is this normal ? Should I be concerned with topping off the coolant about 2 ounces monthly ? I thought in a sealed system that their should be no evaparation ? I am topping off with distilled water and a mix of BMW coolant. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Pull an oil sample and do a used oil analysis. Coolant being exhausted past a leaky gasket will leave a telltale signature in the oil.

Or you could not worry about it. how long you plan on owning this one out of warranty?

A
Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Pull an oil sample and do a used oil analysis. Coolant being exhausted past a leaky gasket will leave a telltale signature in the oil.

Or you could not worry about it. how long you plan on owning this one out of warranty?

A
+1

After about 10,000 miles I have yet to add oil to our X5 35d, but I have added a splash of distilled water to the coolant reservoir just to top it off.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
And to clarify- coolant leaking into the oil will 'milkshake', and be pretty apparent. You are getting coolant lost without oil changes (I assume). Just the vaporizaton of coolant - microscopic amounts- will show up in a UOA. Or it could just vapor escaping without any telltake white residue, which if so I would not be overly concerned., But rule out the oil.

Blackstone UOA, pretty cheap.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

A
I have the BMW extended powertrain 5/100k, a little over 2 years left on the lease, probably have about 80k by the end so I guess I am covered at least on that issue, no milky foam in oil nor under the filler cap, 2-1200 mile roadtrips completed , no issues.
I also assume that a head gasket issue would lead to overheating from the exhaust pressurizing the coolant system. Might have the dealer do another pressure test at my next service.
I also wonder how many members actually check their coolant since it is in a closed tank and just wait for the low coolant light,

Last edited by ductman; 09-26-2012 at 09:00 AM.