Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330 zhp
Noise has me worried -

04 330 zhp. Bone stock, original suspension 67,000 miles. A squeak developed over the weekend coming from the rear. Only happens when the drivetrain is under load when I'm taking up the clutch in mostly first, sometimes second gear.

I'm praying that it's not the subframe as I hoped the cars in later years of production were much less susceptible to this. I will take it in for inspection but what else can make a squeaking noise under load, rear shock tower mounts?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2012, 07:14 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF330 View Post
04 330 zhp. Bone stock, original suspension 67,000 miles. A squeak developed over the weekend coming from the rear. Only happens when the drivetrain is under load when I'm taking up the clutch in mostly first, sometimes second gear.

I'm praying that it's not the subframe as I hoped the cars in later years of production were much less susceptible to this. I will take it in for inspection but what else can make a squeaking noise under load, rear shock tower mounts?

Thanks.
I'd think it would be rear springs. They frequently break in your area due to the harshness of road salts. I have seen it many times (even down here in Bama). You'd be the only ZHP I have EVER heard of with a subframe issue (except for a hard tracked one with a blower I know of).

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Thanks - I hope so. If that's the case, is it time to do a full suspension refresh?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:31 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF330 View Post
Thanks - I hope so. If that's the case, is it time to do a full suspension refresh?
At 67,000 miles, I personally believe your shocks and struts are likely worn to the point they need to be replaced, but most people go 100k+ miles before they do. I bought my ZHP with 138k miles, at 142k miles I put new shocks/struts on it. I thought it handled well for such high mileage, but I can tell you the shocks were worthless, no rebound left in them at all.

If I were you I'd pull the rear tires off and check the springs. If they are indeed broken, then I'd replace the springs and see what happens.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-28-2012, 07:00 AM

Found the noise and I'm embarassed - it was only the rear folding seats. I put the car in gear in the garage with no parking brake and pushed down to check the springs on both sides. No noise and snapped right back. Then checked the rear deck for anything loose and leaned on the back seat...

In my defense we always only use the right side fold down for hockey sticks but my kid must have popped the left loading his stuff and never put it down or locked it back in place. Sorry for wasting your time!