Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Engine Malfuction

Engine Malfunction indicator turned on in my Z4. Took it to the dealer ... no leaks found. So per BMW suggestion they reprogrammed the car. It didn't go away. They noticed fuel pump is showing less number of bars (14); they think it is low and not building enough pressure. So they are gonna replace fuel pump (not HPFP). Waiting to hear back from the dealer ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Malfunction.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	358906  
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i * Titanium Silver Metallic * Black Kansas Leather * Cold Weather Package * Premium Package * Premium Sound Package * 7-Speed Double Clutch Transmission * Style 293 Wheels * Navigation System * BMW Apps * European Delivery * Performance Center Delivery * Joy Unlimited !

Last edited by cuddapah; 01-23-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM
BMWCCA

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is/ED & 12 X3 28i
It happened several times for my 2011 Z4. The first time was immediadyely after refueled in misty morning. It occurred in France during weekend, a few days after my Z4 was delivered at Munch, so no dealer or service station to bring. But, BMW servce by phone told me that the yellow indicator light was ok to drive.
The second time was after I washed the car. Since then, I was careful for washing the car, esecially near the gas cap door. Also, I am avoiding refueling during rain. But, the same problems occur after the service since they wash the car.
The light comes on usually one day after the wash. Once that engine warning light comes on, it takes a day or two to clear up (the turn off byitself). I think my problem seems to be the gas cap gasket.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 AM

BMW replaced Low Pressure Fuel Pump and released the car. As of now the indicator is off. I always refuel with Shell V-Power. Used Shell in Germany, France, Switzerland and back home in US. BMW told me to continue Shell V-Power.
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i * Titanium Silver Metallic * Black Kansas Leather * Cold Weather Package * Premium Package * Premium Sound Package * 7-Speed Double Clutch Transmission * Style 293 Wheels * Navigation System * BMW Apps * European Delivery * Performance Center Delivery * Joy Unlimited !
Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 AM

'Engine Malfunction' indicator is back on after 570 miles
Scheduled appointment for Monday
Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35i--2002 330ci
Sorry to hear that. Hope they get it lined out very soon. Please keep us posted.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 AM

After diagnosing for 3 days, Service Advisor said they didn't find anything wrong with the car. But they found 14% Ethanol in the gas. I reviewed test reports myself. Except tests related to gas, Z4 passed all tests. Surprisingly indicator turned off itself at the Service Center. Right from the day of delivery @ BMW Welt, I always used Shell V-Power/Premium. I am going to another Shell now. I hope the indicator doesn't turn back on.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
If it turns out that that is all that was wrong then hopefully you'll have many happy miles together. And maybe a lesson learned about where to get your gas.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM

These situations can sure be a pain in the a**. I have been maybe 500 miles since my knock sensor was replaced, so far so good. If I get that cel again neither me nor my dealer are going to be happy. Hope your problem is in the past.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 AM

The indicator is back on This is the third time. Appointment scheduled for 03/14. Will post back what they find this time.
The only thing I noticed is when weather goes below 40F, the indicator turns on and stays on until I take the car to the dealer.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM

That sucks. Have you considered taking your car to another dealer?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm12 View Post
That sucks. Have you considered taking your car to another dealer?
In Jacksonville, both the BMW dealerships are owned by the same. I was told that foreman from both the dealerships will be at the dealership where I take it. If they can't figure it out, I will drive to Richmond, VA and get it fixed there.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM

I talked with BMW NA Customer Relations about this issue and wanted to speak with a higher authority. They called in a Supervisor. He called the service manager here at the dealership and said since the appointment is on Thursday it is not possible to schedule a BMW Tech visit in such a short time. A foreman from other dealership who they say is very skilled will look into the issue on Thursday. If the issue repeats after this attempt then it is a lemon.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 PM

Good idea to call BMW NA. Stay on their a**. Things like these are unacceptable. Good Luck.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 PM

BMW service told me that SIX injectors were ordered. They should be in tomorrow. Hope this fixes the issue.

Last edited by cuddapah; 03-14-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: Crimson Red Z4 35is
My 35is with a little over 3k miles had this problem 3x this month alone, and still with the service center up to now. 1st, solenoid valve was replaced. The 2nd time, they replaced the exhaust vanos unit. 3rd, I still don't know what's the problem. I never felt any difference with the performance or lost of power. The warning message disappears whenever I restart the engine. I am also thinking of faulty sensor, and maybe the after market 8" subwoofer that I added with heavy bass music is the culprit. Could it be?