Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 530i
1995 530i troubles, any thoughts?

I recently purchased a 1995 530i it is an Auto with 138,000 miles on it and there are a few things I would like to address, and I need some assistance. I cant seem to find correct answers in forums, any help or links to existing forums would be greatly appreciated. Here are my issues.

-Rear windows do not work.

I have taken the door apart and have removed the gear, when I activate the up switch, the worm gear engages and moves for about a second and stops on its own(also stops with the window all the way up switch removed) it does not move at all in the down direction. I can hear a module click under the seat when going up but no sound on going down. Any thoughts?

-Fog Lights

When I turn the regular headlights on (with both headlights working and no error), with the headlight switch on the fog light switch is off, the right fog light comes on. When I switch the fog light switch on as well with the headlight switch on, both headlights work as well as both fog lights, however this is when I get a F/FOG LIGHT alarm. This is not the end of the world as I assume its a ground but either I drive with an alarm or one fog light on, and I believe in Wisconsin if one fog light is out and the other is on, they can pull you over. No one wants that. Has any one had this issue, and found a way to correct it?

-Noise from front right

This one perplexes me, I have even had a BMW dealer look at it. I have a tick sound coming from the right front wheel area, it appears to tick at every rotation of the tire. I have just had them recently balanced and the problem remains, BMW says there is nothing wrong with the suspension. It will click in forward, and when I turn left, however when I turn right it goes away, it also does not tick in reverse. Weird I know, any ideas?

I have some more issues, like the dreaded TRANS PROGRAM very rarely, and the seat motors not working (I plan to do the motor cable fix in the near future) but only a couple things at a time. hahaha.

Any responses to these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thx
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 92 525iT Wagon M50
Welcome to the BMW world.

First do you have a Bentley manual? Next fill out and bookmark this site http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do...ies=E34&arch=1
Both are a lifesaver.

Rear window: You can remove your rear seat cushion to pinpoint and access the relay/fuse box. Bentley will help access the proper one. Based on your description one might think the relay/module would also click in the downward motion - therefore it may be faulty. (I have no window experience yet).

Fog Lights: I am betting on a faulty right fog light as on my car that is the one that talks with the dashboard light. However it is electric - PIA, so make sure you check all of your Headlight and Fog lights for the proper coded bulb. Many different bulbs will work, but Bimmer only likes certain models. Beyond that we enter the realm of wire shorts, switches and the LKM (if you have one).

Noise: Hopefully something is rubbing. Look for a loose plastic gizmo.

Good luck.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
I have the similar issues with the noise. Passenger side front, had a funny sound coming from it, turned into a squeal, havnt heard it in awhile. I thought it was a wheel bearing. But it checked out okay. It's not the brakes, so rubbing dust plate was a guess, I havnt checked. But I don't really care. It's harmless in my case. It sounds like a wheel bearing for yours too. Would like to know what you find.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Thank you for your response and ideas.

I do not have a Bentley Manual, any idea where I could get one, replacing a relay, if I can find where it is, would be a cheap thing to try.?

I did swap the fog bulbs from one side to the other and the problem remained, I will however check on the bulbs and make sure they are the correct ones. That is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My525iT View Post
Welcome to the BMW world.

First do you have a Bentley manual? Next fill out and bookmark this site http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do...ies=E34&arch=1
Both are a lifesaver.

Rear window: You can remove your rear seat cushion to pinpoint and access the relay/fuse box. Bentley will help access the proper one. Based on your description one might think the relay/module would also click in the downward motion - therefore it may be faulty. (I have no window experience yet).

Fog Lights: I am betting on a faulty right fog light as on my car that is the one that talks with the dashboard light. However it is electric - PIA, so make sure you check all of your Headlight and Fog lights for the proper coded bulb. Many different bulbs will work, but Bimmer only likes certain models. Beyond that we enter the realm of wire shorts, switches and the LKM (if you have one).

Noise: Hopefully something is rubbing. Look for a loose plastic gizmo.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM

I was thinking of a wheel bearing as a possibility as well, thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh429er View Post
I have the similar issues with the noise. Passenger side front, had a funny sound coming from it, turned into a squeal, havnt heard it in awhile. I thought it was a wheel bearing. But it checked out okay. It's not the brakes, so rubbing dust plate was a guess, I havnt checked. But I don't really care. It's harmless in my case. It sounds like a wheel bearing for yours too. Would like to know what you find.