Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci
I believe cool air intake making whistle??

So I have a Dinan cool air intake and a super annoying sound that almost sounds like a whistle anytime i accelerate, let of gas to shift it goes
away, next gear accelerate and whistle. Now the mechanics that i saw checked it out and said there's nothing wrong it's jus the intake . Well
Regardless it's super annoying I was seeing if anyone had suggestions on what it could be, who knows maybe its something else. If not what you would recommend doing to get rid of that sound...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1348540389.317155.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	343198  
Ads by Google
Old 09-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
That`s what most aftermarket CAIs do, they just change the intake sound....unfortunately, it`s often an *annoying* sound. You can always bring it back to stock (which is also a CAI, BTW).

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
That's what my K&N does also, but i don't feel it's annoying.

Ofcourse i'm not sure if yours is possibly louder than mine.

Solution for you is to change stock air filter box back, that's more quiet.

Last edited by lgr122; 09-24-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330i
Intake boot checked for tears? This can cause whistling.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
That`s what most aftermarket CAIs do, they just change the intake sound....unfortunately, it`s often an *annoying* sound. You can always bring it back to stock (which is also a CAI, BTW).
Really???
Okay so it's not weird for my car to sound like it needs breaks every time I accelerate?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 AM
Member: Church of the FSM

Mein Auto: 323Ci 911 914 996 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrybr100 View Post
Really???
Okay so it's not weird for my car to sound like it needs breaks every time I accelerate?
That's what happens when you replace a highly engineered stock airbox with generic off the shelf parts. Car makers put a lot of work into getting the intake to sound just right, which for most cars means almost totally silent. If you change the setup, you're on your own.

My car has a blower, which means I'm stuck with the CAI. I've gotten used to the sound, even though it sounds like the car is taking a breath every time I shift.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellpuppy View Post
That's what happens when you replace a highly engineered stock airbox with generic off the shelf parts. Car makers put a lot of work into getting the intake to sound just right, which for most cars means almost totally silent. If you change the setup, you're on your own.

My car has a blower, which means I'm stuck with the CAI. I've gotten used to the sound, even though it sounds like the car is taking a breath every time I shift.
Ya but I can go back to stock right? I bought the car with the intake on it so I don't have much choice I jus was wondering what I can do to get rid of it???
Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
Quote:
Ya but I can go back to stock right? I bought the car with the intake on it so I don't have much choice I jus was wondering what I can do to get rid of it???
sure u can go and get yourself the stock air intake kit anytime, it's not like u'r stuck with ur aftermarket CAI

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Find a local salvage yard, and get the needed parts from them....shouldn`t be too expensive. Rubber boots should be purchased new.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
Right, it's more difficult to go back stock if you don't actually have those stock parts with you.

I happened to save my original box, so i can easily switch it back, if there's need.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 325it
I have the identical Dinan CAI on my car (installed by PO) and it too makes the whistling noise. At this point I am kinda used to it, but still think about reverting back to the stock airbox at some point.... usually when it rains and I am driving near any deeper looking puddles (because the bottom if that intake tube is VERY low in the wheel well). Also, filter replacement is a pain and some have had issues with MAF from the oiled filter. I think a stock airbox is in my future... anyone wanna swap with me?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:53 AM
Ryde Out Ryders

Send a message via AIM to DaveZBeamer
Mein Auto: 2002 5 Series
Whistle noise at lighter accels still present, Help!!!!

2003 BMW 325I Sedan------110,000 miles-----owned car for 1 year but previous owner is my future father in law. He has it for about 5-6 years all maintanence kept up to date.

I'm not mechanic or anything but I've tried to self diagnose this whistle noise but I still have this annoying whistle it seems described in about a dozen or more posts. The whistle started happening about 6 months ago. My fiancee drives the vehicle daily to and from work so I dont have to hear it that often. (Only when the vehicle needs something to be fixed, but she's complaining about this annoying whistle) I replaced both intakes boots that attached the intake to the MAF. (Both were cracked). Re-installed and whistle noise still there. I even went as far as to take it all apart again, about 4 months later and redo the job this time lubing all rubber pieces. Still get a light whistle during neighborhood driving speeds 1500 rpms or it can be heard when switching gears and light accel while driving down regular roads speeds of 30-50mph. Any suggestions what to check next? I do have a CAI on the vehicle but I've removed the intake and left only the intake boots with MAF attached and still get whistle during accel. I'm going to lubricate all the pulleys but if it were a pulley they seem to whine or you can hear the bearings starting to go. I've had several pulleys replaced due to the whine, a/c belt tensioner, idler pulley and belts. Not sure where to go now. Anyone else experiencing this same issue.