Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ...
finally smoked out my tailights...

so couple weeks ago i was going to spray my tailights,had everything ready but changed my mind...
last night i masked it all off and got done.....car being silver smoke tailights show off good
used vht night shades and clear coat....
2000 grit sandpaper....sand it all off...rubing alcohol to clear all the oils...and sprayed around 6x very light coats.....and about 4 coats of clear coat each...
tommorow sanding and buffing and they should be finished...btw i left the reverse lens clear,so they match the trunk lenses...
few pix...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Last edited by bayerisheteknik; 09-19-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2012, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 04 BMW 745Li E66
Looks good. Looking to get mine done too. Don't want mine to be to dark but don't want it to look red. Wonder if there is a way of accomplishing that.

2004 BMW 745Li e66
22" Beyern Mesh
Eibach Springs
Spacers 20mm Front 30mm Rear
Akebono Brake Pads
JL Audio 500/1 Amp
2 Type R 10" Subwoofers
Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Looks awesome!

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )
Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpn8ez View Post
Looks good. Looking to get mine done too. Don't want mine to be to dark but don't want it to look red. Wonder if there is a way of accomplishing that.
thx...it all depends on temperature and humidity...last night i sprayed the smaller ones first,it was very humid so when i applied the clear coat they looked milky/cloudy..so had to sand them down again and respray today...
i would spray light coats and that way you achieve the look that you want...

good luck
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First_745Li View Post
Looks awesome!
thanks...little work but was worth it i think
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: '06 750Li
Nice! Sick dog too haha

2006 BMW 750Li - Style 128's with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Magnaflow quad exhaust, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Aluminum Pedals, Umnitza LED License Plate Lights, Beltronics V995

1997 BMW 540i - E39 M5 wheels, straight piped quad exhaust, CAI, Dinan performance chip, H&R springs

2002 Lexus LX470 - Window Tint (20%)

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE - Window Tint (30% front, 15% rear), LED interior lighting

2006 Mercedes-Benz S500 - AMG Sports Package - SOLD

Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 05 745 LI, 05 Acura RL
Looks nice. But you need to clear them now as they look dull. Look at mine in my sig.

22's, AC Schnitzer Kit, H&R Lowering Springs, Tinted tails and Signals, AC Schnitzer
Carbon Door Pillars, Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Tuner Mod, Tinted Windshield,
30% Tint all the way around, and some other stuff I forgot.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suri [TBR] View Post
Nice! Sick dog too haha
Thx..yeah that's little Rocky aka Appetite for destruction...just turned 8mnths and 62lbs...should be around 100+ lbs....very smart...excellent temperament....but he is scared from everything lol btw he is pure bred American bulldog...best dog ever
Old 09-18-2012, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
why not use the vinyl wrap?? plus you can remove it.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBrad7 View Post
Looks nice. But you need to clear them now as they look dull. Look at mine in my sig.
Tommorow...put 4 coats of clear already...has to dry...gonne use 2000by grit paper...buff em and polish em and should look good
Old 09-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad540 View Post
Vinyl is easy way to go...I heard they leave bubbles and come of easily...painting is the way to go...at least I like it this way

U got vinyl on yours?
Old 09-18-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Great idea!!! I just ordered a 2'x4' feet on ebay just now. Hope to get it this weekend and have a project to do. Now if I could only remember where I placed my heat gun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140591506460...84.m1497.l2649

2004 BMW 745Li e66
22" Beyern Mesh
Eibach Springs
Akebono Brake Pads
JL Audio 500/1 Amp
2 Type R 10" Subwoofers

Last edited by pmpn8ez; 09-18-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik View Post
Vinyl is easy way to go...I heard they leave bubbles and come of easily...painting is the way to go...at least I like it this way

U got vinyl on yours?
If I do it it will be with vinyl. Easily reversable in case you trade or sell the car. I feel the Vht is for 90's hondas.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:10 PM

You could even get a ticket for having darker tail lights. With tint you would be able to pull the tint off and wouldn't have to pay the fine with a "fix it ticket".

2004 BMW 745Li e66
22" Beyern Mesh
Eibach Springs
Akebono Brake Pads
JL Audio 500/1 Amp
2 Type R 10" Subwoofers
Old 09-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
You could even get a ticket for having darker tail lights. With tint you would be able to pull the tint off and wouldn't have to pay the fine with a "fix it ticket".
if you got 7 series cops don't care as long as you don't go too dark...
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
If I do it it will be with vinyl. Easily reversable in case you trade or sell the car. I feel the Vht is for 90's hondas.
"""i feel vht is for 90s hondas""""

yeap im old school....actually spraying tailights was a big thing in europe in 90s...

vht is not for hondas only/well maybe here in us...we use to spray bmw,alfa romeos,porsches trying to achieve the smoked look of benzes back home in europe....

lots of people still use spray over vinyl..just depends on what you like and what you want i guess
Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
if you got 7 series cops don't care as long as you don't go too dark...
Tinted taillights=probable cause. With probable cause, any cop, in any city, in whatever car your in can pull you over. I didn't know the 7 series was invinsible to laws.

2004 BMW 745Li e66
22" Beyern Mesh
Eibach Springs
Akebono Brake Pads
JL Audio 500/1 Amp
2 Type R 10" Subwoofers
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Tinted taillights=probable cause. With probable cause, any cop, in any city, in whatever car your in can pull you over. I didn't know the 7 series was invinsible to laws.
you didn't get my point...if you got 7 series,its european vehicles...as we know most european vehicles have clear headlight,xenons,smoked out tailights so police dont care as much....

if you spray tailights black on some piece of **** honda from 89 like i see some punks do ...and they put 10k/12k or even 6k hids on that piece of **** they are gonne get pulled over..aren't they???since its just honda or some cheaply made american/japanese vehicle

my point was if you drive benz/bmw/porsche etc etc and you smoke your lights but not too dark cops don't give a damn...

if they do ill just buy new lights....simple as that
Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
you didn't get my point...if you got 7 series,its european vehicles...as we know most european vehicles have clear headlight,xenons,smoked out tailights so police dont care as much....

if you spray tailights black on some piece of **** honda from 89 like i see some punks do ...and they put 10k/12k or even 6k hids on that piece of **** they are gonne get pulled over..aren't they???since its just honda or some cheaply made american/japanese vehicle

my point was if you drive benz/bmw/porsche etc etc and you smoke your lights but not too dark cops don't give a damn...

if they do ill just buy new lights....simple as that
Cops don't know the difference between euro/import styling other than the law they practice and enforce. Tinted tail lights is against any state law. To each is own. One day I plan on selling the vehicle and if I do get pulled over, its nice I can pull the tint off.

2004 BMW 745Li e66
22" Beyern Mesh
Eibach Springs
Akebono Brake Pads
JL Audio 500/1 Amp
2 Type R 10" Subwoofers
Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Cops don't know the difference between euro/import styling other than the law they practice and enforce. Tinted tail lights is against any state law. To each is own. One day I plan on selling the vehicle and if I do get pulled over, its nice I can pull the tint off.
LOL we can be here all night you saying your thing and me saying mine and 10 years down the road you still saying your thing and me saying mine

the point is chance of getting pulled over in high performance european vehicle is much much slimmer than that of a 1990 honda/ford/toyoa with hids,BLACKED OUT TAILIGHTS,loud exhaust...guess they call em ricers

those little POS ricers are magnets for cops

Bmw/benz its hard to tell for them since some come like that from factory especially benz,they had smoked out lights since 90s

to me if tailights are done with VHT paint and done properly they yield much better look then vinyl..
and if i decide to sell the car down the road i will not be worried about someone having problems with smoked out tailights since im pretty sure who ever calls to buy my car will like it just the way it is
Old 09-19-2012, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 05 745 LI, 05 Acura RL
Quote:
LOL we can be here all night you saying your thing and me saying mine and 10 years down the road you still saying your thing and me saying mine

the point is chance of getting pulled over in high performance european vehicle is much much slimmer than that of a 1990 honda/ford/toyoa with hids,BLACKED OUT TAILIGHTS,loud exhaust...guess they call em ricers

those little POS ricers are magnets for cops

Bmw/benz its hard to tell for them since some come like that from factory especially benz,they had smoked out lights since 90s

to me if tailights are done with VHT paint and done properly they yield much better look then vinyl..
and if i decide to sell the car down the road i will not be worried about someone having problems with smoked out tailights since im pretty sure who ever calls to buy my car will like it just the way it is
It looks much better then vinyl, that is true. I had vinyl on my 07 charger srt8 and while it looked good you could tell it was vinyl. Also VHT just comes off with lacquer thinner, without doing any damage to the taillight whatsoever. So if it needs to come off it can with ease.

22's, AC Schnitzer Kit, H&R Lowering Springs, Tinted tails and Signals, AC Schnitzer
Carbon Door Pillars, Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Tuner Mod, Tinted Windshield,
30% Tint all the way around, and some other stuff I forgot.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 07 GMC Yukon//07 F150
After a while VHT will start to look dull, the sun literally bakes it off. Trust me I know. Vinyl looks good when new but after a while it does start peeling for no reason. I had vinyl on a few cars and they all started peeling after about a year or so. But it is cheaper to buy new again and reapply.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me want7 View Post
After a while VHT will start to look dull, the sun literally bakes it off. Trust me I know. Vinyl looks good when new but after a while it does start peeling for no reason. I had vinyl on a few cars and they all started peeling after about a year or so. But it is cheaper to buy new again and reapply.
will it look dull even after i put 4 clear coats on it?? also i will buff em out and use ice wax on them...should protect it
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBrad7 View Post
It looks much better then vinyl, that is true. I had vinyl on my 07 charger srt8 and while it looked good you could tell it was vinyl. Also VHT just comes off with lacquer thinner, without doing any damage to the taillight whatsoever. So if it needs to come off it can with ease.
yeap thats true with lacquer thinner,since it shouldn't eat the plastic...but after that i would still put couple clear coats on plastic itself since they are sanded down...
Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 07 GMC Yukon//07 F150
Quote:
will it look dull even after i put 4 clear coats on it?? also i will buff em out and use ice wax on them...should protect it
After putting the clear coats wet sanding then buffing will give you the best results for a clean crystal clear look. But the problem with that is that it does wear down the clear coat a little. But as long as there not exposed to direct sunlight all day everyday they should last. Mine didnt because my car would sit outside everyday.I haven't tried the ice wax so I can't give you any info on that.

Last edited by Me want7; 09-19-2012 at 09:51 PM.