Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 PM
BimmerMyFriend

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sedan
2013 Xenon Upgrade

I just got a 2013 328is M-Sport Line package, Performance Package & Tech package, Sport
automatic transmission....Alpine White! I did not realize that it did not have xenon lights unitl to late. I just purchased a 535i loaded as well but the blind spots with the headrests blocking out an additional 3/4 of rear passenger window line of vision almost got me into numerous accidents so I gave it to my wife and got the 328 instead. (Lucky Girl!). The point is that I am wondering if and upgrade to xenon with full intended functionality is possible since it was prewired with the performance package. Not much valuable input on this discussion to date with any hard answers. If anyone knows......I would appreciate enlightenment. Something other than the fact that it was stupid not to realize it did not come with these lights to begin with.
Thanks for any input.
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i.F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyleigh View Post
I just purchased a 535i loaded as well but the blind spots with the headrests blocking out an additional 3/4 of rear passenger window line of vision almost got me into numerous accidents so I gave it to my wife and got the 328 instead. (Lucky Girl!).
Sorry but had to ask. If it almost caused u accidents why give it to your wife? Not trying to be funny here.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheikh82 View Post
Sorry but had to ask. If it almost caused u accidents why give it to your wife? Not trying to be funny here.
You know, reading that post that is the same thing that I wondered.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Same thing crossed my mind.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
OMG...did I just read that right? You almost got into several accidents so you pass the car to your wife? Either you are saying she is a much better driver than you, or.....damn I don't want to even think about it.

As for you xenon question, it could be possible to install them, I bet is going to cost you some cash. Its a question for your BMW service center.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
I was also surprised about the logic of givng your wife a car that you found unsafe. At a hight risk of not being PC, I guess you should be able to pay top dollar for retrofiting once you cash out on her life insurance?????

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 AM
BimmerMyFriend

Sorry, I left out an important part! I wear Tri Focal Lenses and on the periferals it causes
minor distortion. That paired with 18 inches of blind spot create a problem for me. My wife wanted the car and has not had a single issue. I would not put her in danger or pawn off something to her if that were the case. It was dangerous for me, and anyone on the road at the same time as me. I had the 535 in the shop for 3 days during which time I got a 328 loaner which was perfect for me. I had no issue whatsoever and great line of sight. That is what prompted me to get the 3 Series. Awesome car! I love it....But I would still like to get the xenons. Any feedback with regard to the lights?
Also....I appreciate the centiment for my wifes sake! 21 years married and I feel like the luckiest man in the world!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Sorry, I left out an important part! I wear Tri Focal Lenses and on the periferals it causes
minor distortion. That paired with 18 inches of blind spot create a problem for me. My wife wanted the car and has not had a single issue. I would not put her in danger or pawn off something to her if that were the case. It was dangerous for me, and anyone on the road at the same time as me. I had the 535 in the shop for 3 days during which time I got a 328 loaner which was perfect for me. I had no issue whatsoever and great line of sight. That is what prompted me to get the 3 Series. Awesome car! I love it....But I would still like to get the xenons. Any feedback with regard to the lights?
Also....I appreciate the centiment for my wifes sake! 21 years married and I feel like the luckiest man in the world!
Ah now your are talking. And I can understand your request because with your eyesight xenons are a must at night. Again I would ask your BMW service center because you want them also to be covered under the BMW bumper to bumper warranty. I don't see why they can't do it, but its going to cost you.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Ok, that explains that part.
Are you leasing the 328 or bought it (financing it)?
I think you need to be careful about any modification that is quoted "cheap" (meaning under $1000) as it will probably just be adding ballasts and some cheap xenon bulbs. I this case you are better off staying with the OEM halogens.
I think that fully upgrading it to OEM xenon with adaptive lighting and self levelling is going to run you into several $Ks....
So if you are leasing just wait the 3 years and then upgrade the car and include the ZLP.
If financing it, check how soon you can sell it without taking a huge hit and order a new one with ZLP....

Just my two cents....

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 09-25-2012, 08:12 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Cool.

Back to your original question, bad news on the xenons. If you don't get them from the factory, you don't get them at all. Sorry.

Aftermarket solutions are out there, but not the same functionality.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Yea, it's better off asking the dealer about the xenons.
Btw, your last sentence makes my heart melt.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:18 AM
BimmerMyFriend

Final note regarding my wife being a better driver..My wifes father opened one of the first BMW dealerships in Southern California which at the time was Ocean Motors, Now Santa Monica BMW. She has raced cars for many years, Never had an accident and is not only a better driver than I am, But probably still better than 99% of those wanna bees out their! If this was a dangerous car for most people, It would not be sold!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
food for thought, OE xenon projector non adaptive headlights are 800 each for the housings.
the electronics module and other parts are about 400 per side. the adaptive housings are even more, but i believe your car will not have the correct wiring to use the adaptive.
you're looking at about 3K to retrofit if you do it right. please dont just put a HID bulb and ballast into your halogen lamps.
you'll need the dealership or someone to recode the car for xenons to eliminate the bulb out errors
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
If you need Xenons you should talk to the dealership about a trade. It will cost you $2500-$4000 to put Xenons on the car, you are better off eating it on a trade.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Seeing as you just bought it and you also bought the 535i, ask the dealer to exchange the car for you. I have a feeling they would, particularly if you explain your eyesight issue.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Lightbulb trade it in h

Quote:
I just got a 2013 328is M-Sport Line package, Performance Package & Tech package, Sport
automatic transmission....Alpine White! I did not realize that it did not have xenon lights unitl to late. I just purchased a 535i loaded as well but the blind spots with the headrests blocking out an additional 3/4 of rear passenger window line of vision almost got me into numerous accidents so I gave it to my wife and got the 328 instead. (Lucky Girl!). The point is that I am wondering if and upgrade to xenon with full intended functionality is possible since it was prewired with the performance package. Not much valuable input on this discussion to date with any hard answers. If anyone knows......I would appreciate enlightenment. Something other than the fact that it was stupid not to realize it did not come with these lights to begin with.
Thanks for any input.
It appears to me, you have spent well over $100,000 on the two BMW's. Can you take the hit of a trade in? That would be much better than trying to retrofit xenons. As many have pointed out . It is very expensive, and most likely, it will not be up to factory Specs. Good Luck.
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.