Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M Roadster
Z4M ??? DSP, Bluetooth, Nav, and Dice

Hey guys, Ive been thinking about getting a Dice kit for some time now(Mediabridge 1500). Looking for someone out there that has a Z4 M with DSP, Nav, Bluetooth and a Dice.
A few questions about OUR cars and Dice: first even though car has DSP, I keep reading you don't need the DSP adapter in our model. Something about analog vrs digital DSP. I contacted two vendors and got different answers. Did you need the adapter with this setup?
Second, car has factory Bluetooth that works fine. Anyone use their Dice MediaBridge to stream music wirelessly to the stereo, but NOT use the Dice Bluetooth for their phone calls (use the factory set-up). In other words, can you just stream the music with Bluetooth through your stereo( and how good does it work?) and continue to use the BMW Bluetooth for phone calls that the car came with. Or, once the IPhone connects to the Dice via bluetooth it commands it to wirelessly handle both functions: phone calls and music streaming. Also, can you stream Internet radio from IPhone Apps like Sirius and Pandora?
---- I know this should be in an audio thread, but I'm trying to get info specific for a Z4 M with these options, not a BMW in general. Vendors give me different answers and my whole purpose for getting this set-up would be so I could put my IPhone in my pocket with no wires and stream both the IPod app and the Sirius App from the iPhone. Right now I'm using the factory AUX for this and it works fine - just want to get rid of the wires and having to add a mount someplace. If it streams wirelessly and you don't care about charging, can you just leave the MediaBridge 1500 in the trunk and not run the connection cable for IPhone into the cabin? Any other options to stream music wirelessly from an IPhone 4 through a Z4M stereo. Thanks so much in advance!
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: E82, E84
I have the same setup in my car, although the DICE module I bought is the MB-1000, not the 1500, so I can't address bluetooth audio streaming.

I think the confusion with many retailers about the DSP adapter requirement is because some earlier Z4 models included digital DSP. The newer models (including my M) do not use digital DSP so they do not require the special adapter. I have my mediabridge connected to the back of the head unit just like the OEM iPod interface and there is no extra DSP adapter. This is functionally equivalent to the trunk mounted wiring harness supplied by DICE, just uses less cabling. This works fine with the navigation screen (although the display options aren't great) and I use a USB cable to connect (through a spec.dock) to the DICE.
As far a bluetooth calls are concerned, I have the iPhone paired to the car's built-in bluetooth and it works great. I don't know if you would have to manually select which bluetooth device to use if you paired with both the car and the MB-1500, but it's something you might want to check out. I don't know of any way to force the iPhone to use one BT pairing for calls and another for music.
If you are just trying to get rid of the unsightly wires, the spec.dock will do this for you as long as you don't mind losing the ashtray and it would allow you to avoid the multiple bluetooth device issue. I understand that this might not be what you are looking for, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of the option.
Also, the user interface for the DICE is not very good and I recommend getting additional feedback on it before you shell out the money. I'm satisfied with the MediaBridge right now, but only because there aren't many other options out there that suit my needs. As soon as something better comes along I'll most likely lose the DICE unless they make some drastic improvements in the firmware.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. The one thing that is keeping me away from the Spec Doc is that I use an Otter Box case for my iPhone and I don't believe the two are compatible. The case is pretty thick an limits a lot of the built for iPhone mounting devices. But you really helped me clear up the DSP thing.
I've read all the negatives about the Dice also. I can deal with a clunky interface but my main worry is the thing locking up all the time. I've read some had that issue and am wondering if it's been resolved.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: E82, E84
The DICE Silverline locked up all the time and made me want to use it for target practice, but I haven't had those issues with the MediaBridge. Also, the MediaBridge firmware can be updated via USB and DICE has slowly been pushing out improvements.

The otterbox case is awesome, but it definitely won't work with the spec.dock. I have been able to use some slimmer cases in the dock by removing the insert, but I tried that with a friend's otterbox and it was still too big.

Please let us know if you are able to get the audio streaming to work. I'd be interested to know about the quality and if there are any issues pairing with the DICE and the car.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM

I'm thinking for now about scrapping the whole Dice thing, cause I can't get any feedback how the bluetooth music streaming works. I'm thinking about just continuing to use the AUX with a Proclip mount. Proclip says they have a mount that works with the Otterbox, but I'm waiting to hear back if them if it will work with carbon leather (doesn't work with wood trim).
Old 04-25-2011, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe
You can use an A2DP Bluetooth music receiver that plugs in through the 3.5mm AUX jack in order to stream music over BT from your phone to your car. I can't recommend a specific one since there are so many out there, but you'll probably want one that is powered by usb so you can plug it in to the cig socket.

Or you can try searching for something that's car specific, a quick search on google found a couple of examples:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/bluetrip-aux

http://us.kensington.com/html/14484.html

Last edited by marin; 04-25-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 08 si rdstr trpl blk
Don't know if this will help with your mount situation, I use it for the iPhone 4 w/USB power and mini audio plug to Aux jack. Also with the TomTom GPS app. The Arkon SM429-SBH mount attaches to your car's horizontal air vent louvers.

08 3.0si Rdstr TrplBlk
Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 PM

The Bluetooth receiver isn't a bad idea, I was thinking of that. But I don't think I can use the BMW Bluetooth for the phone that came with the car if I have it paired and connected to a Bluetooth receiver for music. It's all so complicated! I also was wondering how that would work with the dice media bridge 1500 - if streaming music via Bluetooth , can you still use the factory BMW Bluetooth for calls? Nobody seams to know how that works. Or, are you forced to use the Dice Bluetooth for calls? Does it all work right together? Who knows???
Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
DICE MBR 1500 works with factory bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
The Bluetooth receiver isn't a bad idea, I was thinking of that. But I don't think I can use the BMW Bluetooth for the phone that came with the car if I have it paired and connected to a Bluetooth receiver for music. It's all so complicated! I also was wondering how that would work with the dice media bridge 1500 - if streaming music via Bluetooth , can you still use the factory BMW Bluetooth for calls? Nobody seams to know how that works. Or, are you forced to use the Dice Bluetooth for calls? Does it all work right together? Who knows???
I just did this installation and simply put the mediabridge in the center compartment where the CD changer would have been. I can continue to use the factory BMW bluetooth with my iPhone for phone calls and still connect to the new bluetooth (at the same time) for music streaming (A2DP). Actually, I find that when connected to the new module for phone calls, I get better sound quality.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: sloporsche
and i thought we had it tough with waiting for the radio tubes to warm up in the cars from the fifties.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: Alpine White "M" Roadster
Double Connection? Didn't think of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehelmholtz View Post
I just did this installation and simply put the mediabridge in the center compartment where the CD changer would have been. I can continue to use the factory BMW bluetooth with my iPhone for phone calls and still connect to the new bluetooth (at the same time) for music streaming (A2DP). Actually, I find that when connected to the new module for phone calls, I get better sound quality.
So did you have to install the DICE microphone? Or does the DICE recognize the BMW installed mic.?

I've been considering this for a while and with the new iPhone5 port its time