Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 05 X5 4.8is
Classic DSC/ABS/Brake lights on problem / 2 DSC pumps already changed

Hi Guys,

I have a problem on my 2005 X5 4.8is

Two months ago, I happened to have the DSC/Brake/ABS lights on on my dash, and went to the workshop. The problem was due to the DSC pump failing, which is not so common (was suspecting a sensor at first). First time, I replaced the pump by a used one, it worked fine for 1 month, and the lights appeared again.

I changed the pump for a new one, and the lights came off for two weeks, but they appeared again yesterday.

I suspect the pump is faulty again. I am investigating on what should these pumps to fail. A new pump should not fail after 2 weeks...

I noticed that one small black wire next the to the positive cable for the battery has been cut and wrapped in duck tape (previous owner way to solve problems? IBS cable?) Maybe this is causing a problem with the pump with stray current....

Will keep you posted on that.

If any of you encountered the same thing and found a solution, just let me know.

Thanks

Bruno
Ads by Google
Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4, BMW 740iL
Hello Bronoo,
I have a similar problem sometimes last year with my X5 4.4i, what i did was to change the ABS Control Unit and the Front ABS/speed control cable, all the lights went off and it has not come back on since then.
Try this out
Old 09-28-2012, 04:04 AM

Hi Wilopes, thanks for your reply. Did you also blow some DSC pumps? How many did you change? When you say you changed the control unit, does that include the pump?

I will go tomorrow to the workshop to check it, i will definitely keep you posted.

I also noticed that air front strut is leaking (very small leak) and I noticed the car cannot be levelled anymore when the DSC pump is dead

Guess it's a bad week...

I will also try to take a picture of my battery wiring.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 AM

Car repaired the other day, I went to the scrapyard and found a control unit with a new pump, replaced it and the master cylinder.

After coding/bleeding it's working fine... I also used that time to buy refurbished front air struts, they look pretty strong.

Only bad news, one guy bumped my front fender and bumper when my car was getting cleaned.... I guess it will be another weekend at the workshop