Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Honestly, If I ever buy a hybrid car, it would not be a German car. They are not known for their electrical system. If you are leasing, than the problem is someone else's in three years.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by g37to335i View Post
Thanks ayu910 and Encinitas. It's encouraging to hear from you both as owners of the hybrid tech and Encinitas has access to these cars often. Encinitas thanks for clearing up the suspension issue. Good to know its the real deal. I did not get a chance to compare the navigation, I was focused on the driving. Like you both said, the tq is just amazing, given the 335i is a tq monster already, the addition of the electric motor makes it that much more addictive to drive. My ca put on the sport display which shows tq and hp, just a tap of the gas pedal sent the tq meter to 335 instantly. I guess after 5 years in a Infiniti g35/37hp, which makes its power higher up the rev band, I got tired of NA engines, forced induction is the future. Forced induction with electric motors even better.

I saw the white red combo in person yesterday and I did not like it as much as I thought I would. I will order it with Estoril blue and black combo instead.
g37to335i, no problem..If you only knew how many people step into my dealership and as soon as I mention hybrid people think slow right away and most people dont understand that electric motors have ore tq than gas motors. I honestly would have ordered the ah5 but since bmw doesn't have the m sport yet I'll just stay with the ah3. Anyhow, enjoy your new ah3 when it arrives.

As crazy as this sounds but I was thinking of changing my order to the Estoril blue on the coral red. :-)

Last edited by BmwEncinitas; 10-21-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: N55 X5, G37, 13 N55 Mspt
There is another member whom I saw had ordered the EB for his AH3, he expects his around thanksgiving. Its a nice color

I have changed my mind again with the interior, I will pick Venetian beige over the black I had chosen. The red looks good too

Last edited by g37to335i; 10-21-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 & 2001 X5 4.4i
Expecting mine around Thanksgiving also!

What's up, I am new here... I just ordered my Activehybrid 3, Sport line in jet black with anthracite wood trim and HK sound system. I test drove two of them, one luxury line and one sport line... They were both awesome! This car is incredibly fun to drive. I also feel that the press and public are really missing the point of this car! I have a X5 4.4i Sport Pkg and just sold an Audi A6 4.2l... Both of them fun cars, but both get 15-18 mpg in real world. the fact that with the AH3 you can drive down to the store with your rpm @ zero using no gas is awesome, and the coasting mode is very beneficial for freeway commuters like myself, especially in areas with hills. Then, when you feel like it you throw it in sport mode or sport+ and the combo of the turbo v6 and the electric motor's torque pushes you back in your seat! Plus the HK sounds great for a factory stereo! I am coming from a morel supremo/elate/ultimo setup and was worried but the sq is great. Can't wait to get the delivery...
Old 10-26-2012, 05:58 AM

I agree with everything you said, congrats on the order. I meant to place my order end of this month but got spooked by the thread where there seems to be delays with 335i orders. I need the car at Xmas and can't afford to go beyond that. I had asked my ca to see if he could locate an m sport ah3 and he said he could see one but it had not been built yet. That just reinforced my fear that it could take longer to get here. On autotrader.com I located a lot of sport models so I figured there will be plenty to pick up in Dec.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 AM

Update

So, the time came for me to shop around and see which AH3s are out there. I found a lot of them on auto trader. Com. Before going forward I had to test drive the x drive and I have come to the conclusion that it does not matter which 335i flavor you pick, all of them are great. I went to a dealership which happened to have the Estoril blue in stock and I was just blown away, at that point I knew whatever I got had to be m sport. There are no ah3 m sports for dec delivery out there so I am going with x drive. I would have been content getting the one I saw at the dealership but read that if you want the power pack, it can only be installed before leaving the VPC. I will have to order one that is already in production or on the ship and there are a number out there. I will update with my specs once the order is placed.

On a side note the m sport does not come out well on the black one, I think the contrast of the black grills and the contours of the bumper are lost with this color.

Last edited by g37to335i; 11-24-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Driving around somewhere

Mein Auto: nothing at the moment
Just picked up an AH3 for an extended test drive over the weekend.

I am coming from a manual E46 coupe so it's quite a change to say the least.

The goal is more to provide me with an idea on the size/characteristics of the F30 in general and this is what they had for me to test with.

Ultimately I think my final choice will come down to either an E90 335D or an F30 328, either with sports package/sports line respectively.

That said, I am very interested to see how I like this Hybrid car. So far, I am impressed, but the luxury package is too "soft" for me, although that could be the F30 itself as I haven't had a chance to drive a sports line.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
I believe there will be an F30 diesel available in a months also just to muddy the waters for you...
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by former230 View Post
Just picked up an AH3 for an extended test drive over the weekend.

I am coming from a manual E46 coupe so it's quite a change to say the least.

The goal is more to provide me with an idea on the size/characteristics of the F30 in general and this is what they had for me to test with.

Ultimately I think my final choice will come down to either an E90 335D or an F30 328, either with sports package/sports line respectively.

That said, I am very interested to see how I like this Hybrid car. So far, I am impressed, but the luxury package is too "soft" for me, although that could be the F30 itself as I haven't had a chance to drive a sports line.
That is a big change!

You can order the AH3 with the DHP, which comes with Adaptive M suspension and Variable Sport Steering. That's what I did.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Driving around somewhere

Mein Auto: nothing at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I believe there will be an F30 diesel available in a months also just to muddy the waters for you...
Ha, indeed, this will make the decision all the more difficult.

Just got back from putting on 50 miles, I am pretty impressed overall.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Any information you can provide will be very helpfull. FYI I was going to get the AH3 but am picking up a 335i x drive next Saturday. The reason for the switch had nothing to do with the AH3 but more my situation. I had to have the m sport package and there was no AH3 with the package that was destined for the east coast by Xmas. The second thing was the tires, after test driving this car I realized the all seasons were absolute garbage on this car. With so much tq these tires were not sticky enough. If you have this superb car you should get the right tires. Dedicated summer and winters is the only way to go. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared to spend more money on a non m sport AH3 on tires, so I let it go.

Maybe next time

Last edited by g37to335i; 12-14-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 PM

I've got roughly 600 miles on my ActiveHybrid 3 at this point, and would be happy to answer any questions about it. I've given my thoughts pretty fully at another BMW forum and I'd be happy to rephrase them here, but bottom line is:

If you're:
* In the market for a 335i
* Are fine with (or even prefer) the excellent ZF 8HP automatic
* Don't want xDrive
* Are leasing

then the ActiveHybrid 3 is almost a no-brainer. As others have said, it really gives up very little over the 335i counterpart, and the hybrid cost is very well mitigated by both incentives and its higher residual. The extra boost of power and instant torque is pretty exhilarating particularly in Sport mode. Although it may not show up on paper very well for drag strip statistics, it's very noticeable when you're driving on the highway and suddenly punch the throttle.

Again, I'd be happy to elaborate and answer any questions about my experience with the car / buying experience / etc.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 ZCP
Would you please then elaborate? What are your driving impressions vs a 335i? Do you find that the vehicle operates fully on electric power for a few miles/short trips as advertised? What sort of city MPG do you get?

I would love to hear your overall impressions, the good and bad, about the vehicle
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzutel View Post
Would you please then elaborate? What are your driving impressions vs a 335i? Do you find that the vehicle operates fully on electric power for a few miles/short trips as advertised? What sort of city MPG do you get?

I would love to hear your overall impressions, the good and bad, about the vehicle
Sure thing. The vehicle drives very similarly to a 335i -- in fact most people who I've taken in my car could not believe it is a hybrid. I drove it back to back with a 335i and it felt very similar except getting 4mpg less on the 335i test drive . Maybe I don't push my car to the limits of adhesion very often, but the extra weight isn't really noticeable. It is also the weight of two average Americans and I've rarely complained about my passengers adding weight. Now, in the ways that it is different:

Fuel economy in general can be described as "it is how you drive it". It's really like buying a car with both a Prius mode and a 335i mode. By using Eco pro mode and driving like a grandma, I can do a half city half highway 15 mile commute to work at 36mpg. Driving in a more normal fashion without being shy to gun it on the on ramp, I see consistent 28-30mpg on the same route depending on traffic. Keep it in sport mode and floor it every chance you get, I can arrive at work at 22mpg. Currently my pump calculated average on my first tank is 27mpg and that's including showing off the sport side of the car pretty often

IMO observed fuel economy is so dependent on driving style and the route that giving raw numbers isn't very useful. What I will say is that my A4 never averaged a tank with more than 23-24mpg driving the same routes. As typical with hybrids, the greatest fuel economy increase you will see is in the city. On the highway, it's basically identical to a 335i in fuel economy. If you turn on Eco Pro mode you can coast with the engine detached, which on a slight grade makes it possible to maintain your speed without touching the accelerator. Where's this car truly shines is when you hit stop and go traffic, where I easily get 28mpg in bumper to bumper traffic and Comfort mode. Try doing that even in a Ford Focus!

The Sport mode is worth talking about too. It uses electric boost every time you suddenly accelerate in order to mask the engine lag. It probably won't be a measurable difference on paper but it improves the perceived power of the car. The motor has quite a bit of kick and is perfectly capable of knocking your head into the headrest when you floor it.

In the city it is slightly easier to tell it is a hybrid. Virtually all the transitions are perfectly seamless. When stopping, braking below 47mph will turn off the engine, which you won't notice until you stop the car and realize it is dead silent. When taking off again, you can hear the whirr of the electric engine and (depending on how much throttle you gave) the engine kicks in either right away or seconds later. At slow enough speeds you can hear the starter, but you won't feel it. The transitions are smooth with no sudden changes in the accelerator response -- one of the first hybrids I've driven where I'm satisfied with linearity.

As far as electric only mode, here's the cases where the car will go into electric only mode in Comfort:

* foot on the brake at 47 or below
* coasting or light throttle inputs at 35 or below
* only when engine is warmed up.

If you turn on ECO Pro:

* foot off the gas at up to 100mph. If you slightly accelerate on a downhill it will even eDrive a bit.
* light throttle or coasting below 47

In practice, driving through a 25mph zone or finding a parking space can easily be done on pure electric power. I've not tried to verify the 2 mile range but it has been far enough for me to find a parking spot in silence while people in the parking lot do a second take of my stealth BMW

Note that this is exactly how a hybrid is supposed to behave. On the highway for example, it's actually less efficient to supply constant energy (e.g. cruise control) from the motor as opposed to the engine because eventually that just means you need to recharge the battery and pay for the energy conversion losses too. My best advice is don't try to outsmart the car, or you'll frustrate yourself wondering why the engine isn't turning off at a particular time or why I can't be electric driving at this speed, etc. Drive it normally and you'll see better gas mileage as a bonus. The best way to improve beyond that is simply by using Eco Pro mode and respecting the tips.

The only gripe I have is that once in a while, feathering the brakes at very low speeds (0-5mph) will result in some torque pulses from the regen braking. It feels kinda like ABS kicked in for a split second -- just some torque vibrations and then it's gone. That's the only time this hybrid doesn't have 100% BMW polish. It doesn't really bother me or my passengers.

Note that mine has a 7/12 build date and has a software update pending for the hybrid system. I suspect at least some of that is to smooth out the few remaining kinks.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 PM

I'd also like to point out that when the engine is cold or when there isn't enough residual engine heat to meet your climate control settings, the engine will come on. So if you commute less than 10 miles in the city, you might not see the hybrid benefits as much. With my 14 mile commute, by the time I get off the freeway I can do the 4 blocks of heavy city traffic to work in virtually all electric.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: Traded M5 for Volt!?!?
jdong - thanks for the review on this. Given the recent sale of my BMW for a plugin Hybrid I find myself keenly interested in BMW's offerings in this area. The new i3 is really interesting, but I'm hardly in love with its looks. What I think I really want is Plug-in hybrid 3 series - with at least 40 miles of EV range - as opposed a special "look at me I'm electric!" car.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 PM

I think that'd be a cool offering though, but if people are complaining about the 300lbs of added weight for the current hybrid setup with its tiny energy storage, just imagine the uproar over a 5000lb plug in BMW, or a 125 combined HP one.

I think BMW hit a very smart balance in this car between sports sedan and respectable fuel economy. I'd really like to see them take this concept further in the future. I think a PHEV SUV is easily imaginable -- weight is already easily forgiven in that market.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
I think that'd be a cool offering though, but if people are complaining about the 300lbs of added weight for the current hybrid setup with its tiny energy storage, just imagine the uproar over a 5000lb plug in BMW, or a 125 combined HP one.

I think BMW hit a very smart balance in this car between sports sedan and respectable fuel economy. I'd really like to see them take this concept further in the future. I think a PHEV SUV is easily imaginable -- weight is already easily forgiven in that market.
Agreed about the SUV/SAV being the next logical step given the weight concerns. The electric driving experience is compelling (even more so than the gas savings). Once the masses start to experience it, there will be no going back (and as a gear head, I am sort of dying a little bit inside as I type that).
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
The difference between an A3H and 335i is like 7000? EPA says that the difference over 25K miles is 150$/yr. Even with a 3500$ rebate, it still doesn't compute right.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
The difference between an A3H and 335i is like 7000? EPA says that the difference over 25K miles is 150$/yr. Even with a 3500$ rebate, it still doesn't compute right.
The difference vs. a 335i is $6500. The Eco credit discount is $3500, so the delta is $3k. My dealer was more aggressive with discounting the AH3 vs. a 335i, so the difference for me was ~$1.5K. Don't forget, the AH3 can be spec'd with free Speed Limit Info (8TH), Lane Departure Warning, when you get Nav + Driver Assistance. Heated steering wheel is also free. So that's $700+ in free options vs. a 335i.

You also get the new Navigation in the AH3, which means better traffic info, likely Siri integration, and probably better support and features over the next few years.

So, when you do the math, the extra costs can be very minimal, and that's before you even save your first dollar in gas.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 AM

Don't take that at face value -- the AH3 also has a $3000 Eco Credit that narrows the gap significantly. If you lease, the AH3 has higher residuals than the 335i. In the end I am paying just a few bucks a month more compared to a 335i. Also, as BMW said, the EPA numbers don't tell the whole story with this car as many of its fuel saving modes do not kick in conveniently for EPA tests. (Said another way, unlike Ford BMW has yet to have a chance to tune their hybrid to ace the testing conditions). This is the first car I've had where I can match EPA combined ratings and surpass EPA city ratings. In stop and go I can regularly observe 26-28mpg. Waiting in standstill traffic barely uses any gas. On my combined commute route, I'm seeing 30% better fuel economy compared to the A4 2.0T it is replacing -- and saving 30% on my fuel costs is way more than $150/yr.

The point of the car though isn't just to recover on gas costs. It's that it is essentially a superior version of the 335i automatic -- start stop is almost entirely seamless, the AC does not start getting more humid when stopped at a light, and gobs of electric torque make the N55 feel like it responds instantaneously -- almost unimaginably so -- in sport mode.

This is definitely a car for someone with a bit of extra cash to spend who would like to do a bit to help reduce their fuel consumption but refuse to compromise their driving experience.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM

I do wonder why BMW insisted on using the 6 cylinder as opposed to the new 4 banger in the AH. That combination would seem to make much more sense. Overall mileage might have moved from good to great and the weight penalty of the battery would have been more offset by the lighter engine. Of course, it might have ended up (cost-wise) right on top of the 335i and "stolen" 335i sales - who knows. The AH really seems to be BMW's token attempt to say "we have a 'green' offering too - see we are good corporate citizens" - a shame because it may very well be the best 3 series out right now. It will be very interesting to see if drivetrain tech from the i3/i8 migrates to the next generation 3 series.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post

In an earlier post I mistook this for ActiveE! Here's a road test on that.

Now this boy's piqued.

You hybrid 3 pilots....don't care about mileage; interested in performance. Can you give us a definitive review?

Worry not about handling - that's adjustable.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM

BMW has answered that in one of the reviews of this car. The reasons I've read are:

1. The N20 was not ready at the time. This platform had been in development for numerous years and at the time, the N20 simply wasn't ready but the N55 was. Getting the hybrid to work seamlessly (and efficiently) takes fine tuning and it's not a simple matter of dropping in another engine.

2. BMW intended on putting the same system in the 3, 5, and 7. In the 7, the N20 would have probably not been appropriate. Sure this leads to a silly 3-series rocket, but I would rather have that than a 7 series slug.

3. BMW knew the car's complexity would make it expensive -- a range topping model. Those customers are much more likely to appreciate a 6 cyl over a 4.

Personally, I am glad they went for a 6 cyl range topper. If it were a 4 cyl hybrid, I might have just went for the 335i. I just came from a 2.0T vehicle and I'm not sure I want another one. What I would wish for though is a better emissions rating than the so so ULEV II. If they can hit SULEV or PZEV, then that opens the possibility for a plug in ActiveHybrid with carpool lane access.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
In an earlier post I mistook this for ActiveE! Here's a road test on that.

Now this boy's piqued.

You hybrid 3 pilots....don't care about mileage; interested in performance. Can you give us a definitive review?

Worry not about handling - that's adjustable.
I'm still a few days away from picking mine up, but I did an extensive test drive.

The performance is very nice. It feels more "planted" than a 335i, no doubt due to the extra 250lbs near the trunk. Doesn't feel like an extra 250lbs back there, maybe 100lbs. But it gives the impression of a more solid car, if that makes any sense.

The torque is crazy good. I can feel the improvement in torque over my 2012 E92 M3. I don't recall any turbo lag. The biggest surprise for me was the overall lack of motor/exhaust sound. Even with the ICE is running, it seems quieter than a regular 335i.