Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Bluetooth audio question

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but a quick search did not yield an answer.

I just took delivery of my 335i on Friday and have what I think is a quirk with the bluetooth audio function. My CA paired my phone and set up the audio function, and I didn't really catch what she was doing. Over the weekend, I plugged my iphone into the usb to see the additional functionality I would have through the iDrive system, and when I went back to bluetooth, it somehow disabled the audio functionality. Can anyone tell me how to turn this back on? I realize I'm being lazy and can figure out in the owner's manual, but was hoping to get a quick answer from this forum. I also want to make sure it is not a glitch with my system.

This car is incredible, by the way. Absolutely incredible.
Ads by Google
Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog0203 View Post
I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but a quick search did not yield an answer.

I just took delivery of my 335i on Friday and have what I think is a quirk with the bluetooth audio function. My CA paired my phone and set up the audio function, and I didn't really catch what she was doing. Over the weekend, I plugged my iphone into the usb to see the additional functionality I would have through the iDrive system, and when I went back to bluetooth, it somehow disabled the audio functionality. Can anyone tell me how to turn this back on? I realize I'm being lazy and can figure out in the owner's manual, but was hoping to get a quick answer from this forum. I also want to make sure it is not a glitch with my system.

This is a crazy glitch in the iDrive system. If you plug in your phone via USB or cable it disables Bluetooth Audio.

To fix it go to your phone in iDrive, hit Option button, and re-check the box for 'Audio'.

No workaround I've found so far.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog0203 View Post

The notification screen makes it very clear that this is not a glitch: USB connection will disable Bluetooth Audio.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The notification screen makes it very clear that this is not a glitch: USB connection will disable Bluetooth Audio.
Why does it do this? It's extremely annoying.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Correct: this is screwed up by design.

The first time I saw this I laughed out loud. This mess is what people talk about when they say German cars are nutty. There's bound to be some pure-engineering logic to why/how BMW engineered this. But whatever it was, they've been outclassed by Volvo, Acura, even Honda -- all of which could care less if you stream audio while the device is also connected via USB.
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
The first time I saw this I laughed out loud. This mess is what people talk about when they say German cars are nutty. There's bound to be some pure-engineering logic to why/how BMW engineered this. But whatever it was, they've been outclassed by Volvo, Acura, even Honda -- all of which could care less if you stream audio while the device is also connected via USB.
I don't really care, either, to be honest. It's a little annoying, I guess, but I'm coming from a 2006 330i and was used to taking my iphone cover off, plugging into the aux cord and controlling through the iphone. It's all pretty damned cool to me. Plus, I didn't get the car for the techie features. I bought it for the driving, and that has most certainly not disappointed.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Why does it do this? It's extremely annoying.
Because it will confuse either iDrive or the driver, that's why. When it comes to Music, that is.

If the iPhone is connected to both the Bluetooth audio and USB audio at the same time, a couple of clicks can have you swapping a song from one input (Bluetooth) to another (USB). I don't even think the iPhone itself can handle it, sending Music out to two simultaneous external inputs. The Phone has one protocol, the Apps have one protocol, but the Music has two protocols and that's the likely problem.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 09-25-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Because it will confuse either iDrive or the driver, that's why. When it comes to Music, that is.

If the iPhone is connected to both the Bluetooth audio and USB audio at the same time, a couple of clicks can have you swapping a song from one input (Bluetooth) to another (USB). I don't even think the iPhone itself can handle it, sending Music out to two simultaneous external inputs. The Phone has one protocol, the Apps have one protocol, but the Music has two protocols and that's the likely problem.

BJ
I don't need it to work both ways simultaneously, I just don't understand why if you use cradle or USB, you then have to re-configure the phone settings before you can use Bluetooth Audio again.

It's like if you use the key to enter your house the garage door opener automatically gets disabled, so you have to 'reconfigure' it! Maybe that's how it works in Germany!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: Mustang
What if you have an ipod (not iphone) plugged into the usb will it still turn off bluetooth? I want to throw an old beat up ipod in the car for my music but still be able to connect my phone via bluetooth to make calls.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhx View Post
What if you have an ipod (not iphone) plugged into the usb will it still turn off bluetooth? I want to throw an old beat up ipod in the car for my music but still be able to connect my phone via bluetooth to make calls.
No. That's how I have it set up. The iPod into USB and iPhone via Bluetooth work swimmingly.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®