Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328i
SOS! Car cranks but won't start!

If anyone can help, please chime in!

The story:
Drove to my GF's house, parked outside (no problems, no indication of issues). Came out 20 mins later and the car wouldn't start and the CEL is on. It cranks really strong (so not a battery issue), yet will not turn over.

The codes (using BMW scanner 1.4.0):
45/62 - Activation, fuel-pump relay
4A/62 - Activation, A/C compressor
23/72 - Activation, relay, secondary-air pump
7E/72 - Activation, solenoid valve, tank-leak diagnosis pump
7B/72 - Activation, map cooling
Shadow-memory:
45/62 - Activation, fuel-pump relay
4A/62 - Activation, A/C compressor
23/72 - Activation, relay, secondary-air pump
7E/72 - Activation, solenoid valve, tank-leak diagnosis pump
7B/72 - Activation, map cooling
7F/02 - Activation, solenoid valve, suction-jet pump

Diagnosis:
-cannot hear fuel pump prime when I put key into position 2
-checked service port on fuel rail- no fuel came out (so fuel lines aren't pressurized)
-checked fuel pump fuse, it looks fine
-switched fuel pump relay with horn relay to check if it was bad
-pulled wiring harness off of fuel pump and checked to see if there was power going to it with a test light- no power

Conclusion:
No power to the fuel pump means it is not a fuel pump issue. Yet I am out of ideas if the fuse and relay are good.

Anyone have any advice? I'm dying here!!!!

Thanks!
Jon
Ads by Google
Old 09-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: tow truck
You have a fuse blown. Most likely inside the dme box.

Sent from my C771 using Bimmer App
Old 09-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Jump a 12 volt wire right to the pump`s hot lead and see if it activates the pump.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Jump a 12 volt wire right to the pump`s hot lead and see if it activates the pump.
Academic if suthtow is correct about the DME fuse and the car starts when it is replaced.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:23 PM

it worked, thanks suthtow! Was simply the 20amp DME fuse that was blown. Replaced and started right up. Fuse is often a symptom, not a solution, so I'll keep my eye on it in case it blows again and I need to find the culprit. Until then, I have a perfectly working car with no codes. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Wow! You guys are experts! I hope if I ever need your help it would be as easy as that!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by joncahill View Post
it worked, thanks suthtow! Was simply the 20amp DME fuse that was blown. Replaced and started right up. Fuse is often a symptom, not a solution, so I'll keep my eye on it in case it blows again and I need to find the culprit. Until then, I have a perfectly working car with no codes. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
I'd bet you money the tstat is going bad. You may say "are you insane, what the heck does that have to do with the fuel pump". So glad you asked.

I have seen 2 different E46's that would pop the fuel pump fuse whenever the key was turned to on. No reason at all. I disconnected the Tstats electrical connection and voila, problem solved. I remember reading it a long time ago from a member here, but I don't remember who or when.

Might be your issue.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-02-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncahill View Post
Wise electrical viewpoint. Fuse could blo again for a larger reason as you say. But sometimes they do just fatigue. Seen it many times. But it does take lots to blo a 20A fuse. Not a small unit.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I'd bet you money the tstat is going bad. You may say "are you insane, what the heck does that have to do with the fuel pump". So glad you asked.

I have seen 2 different E46's that would pop the fuel pump fuse whenever the key was turned to on. No reason at all. I disconnected the Tstats electrical connection and voila, problem solved. I remember reading it a long time ago from a member here, but I don't remember who or when.

Might be your issue.
Smolck, I'll keep that in mind if the fuse blows again. And I wouldn't call you insane, electrical gremlins always seem to be the one unlikely component you wouldn't think of. Thanks again everyone! This forum is actually one of the main reasons I bought the car. I got a great deal on the car, but knew upkeep might be costly. But this forum + scanner + existing tool box = very little maintenance cost.

Cheers!
Jon
Old 09-15-2012, 11:35 PM

Well, the fuse blew again. So it comes to troubleshooting what is causing it. As I remember, the systems running off this fuse are:

* A/C compressor clutch
* Camshaft position sensors
* Crankshaft position sensor
* DME & Fuel pump relays
* Evaporative system leak diagnostics pump
* Mass air flow sensor
* Secondary air pump
* Electric thermostat

It's not the AC, as it was not on either time it blew. Doesn't blow the fuse every time (ran for a while before blowing), so disconnecting things and seeing if it still blows will take months. Any way to find the component giving off the higher amperage with a voltmeter?
Electrical stuff isn't exactly my bread and butter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 PM

update: unplugged the thermostat, both camshaft position sensors, the secondary air pump, and the AC is not on. Still blowing the fuse (now it is being blown at every start up). When I tested the thermostat plug, I didn't get continuity with my voltmeter. Does that mean that there is a short in the wires going to the thermostat? Wouldn't unplugging it solve it? Or am I left with it being a faulty crankshaft sensor or diagnosis pump? Will the car even start with the crankshaft position sensor unplugged?

Any suggestions would be helpful. The adventure continues....

Jon
Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 PM

Engine will spin, but not start without the crankshaft position sensor. It tells the car when to fire the plugs. Very nasty to get to.

So what do we have left:

* Crankshaft position sensor
* DME & Fuel pump relays
* Evaporative system leak diagnostics pump
* Mass air flow sensor

But are you sure your A/C is really off? System might run compressor low even tho you turn off the A/C. Maybe get to the clutch connector and disconnect?

Have you swapped the fuel pump relay with the horn relay to eliminate that?

Doubt you can effectively check the thermostat with an ohmmeter unless we get more details about the internals.

Can you find a way to unplug the evap diagnosis unit?

Car should run with MAF unplugged, so try that.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 AM

GoForthFast, thanks for the reply. I unplugged everything but the Evap pump, and then plugged the crank sensor back in (so it would start). Started up. Began replugging in components one by one. So far no problems. Only ones left unplugged are the intake camshaft position sensor and the secondar air pump (forgot it was unplugged). Hoping it's the sensor, as those pumps arnt cheap. Out of town for a week, but should be able to narrow it down to one, and replace easily. Thanks for the help! I'll post results
Old 09-26-2012, 04:37 PM

So the problem is not resolved, and the saga continues. I have disconnected everything but the crank sensor, and the fuse still blows. Replaced the dme relay, same thing. So I'm thinking either crank sensor (since I need it connected to start the car), or the fuel pump is dying and intermittently working (but fuel pump fuse in glove compartment doesn't blow). Traced lots of wires and found some sketch places (thanks PO!), but fixing these didn't help.

I am at my wit's end, and my car has been disabled forever! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jon
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM

ok, sorry for all the updates. Disconnected everything except the AC clutch (don't know where that connector is). Fuse kept blowing. Out of desperation, disconnected the fuel pump. Started right up, and only died when it ran out of fuel. Reconnected the fuel pump and the problem was resolved, and car started and idled without a problem. I guess it might be an intermittent fuel pump problem that is blowing the fuse? Everything else has been eliminated, but I don't get why the fuel pump fuse would not have blown if the fuel pump was dying. Anyway, I have a pump on order, and I hope it resolves this!

-Jon