Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 323ci
Car Won't start - Intermittently

Hi, just like to say I am new to this BMW Forum, have read over it and quite like the responses and feedback overall, but sadly have still not managed to fix my problem as I don't want to go spending alot of money on something and not know for sure that it will or not fix my problem.

The problem I have is with my car is, she runs 99% of the time. On the odd day she won't start and this can happen for a few days then randomly come right.

The car has an alarm which I beleive is standard, an immobilizer and all. When the problem occurs, all my dash lights, radio, air-con, headlights, indicators, windows and windscreen wipers work. The car does not crank or try to turn over at all.

I have tried jump starting it and also charging the battery over night. The battery tests okay.

So far I have come to a few idea's from this website on what it could be, but am still unsure.

-Starter motor (Although it sounds weird as 99% of the time she starts and if it was this, wouldn't it give more of a sypmtom of a slight noise or struggle to turn?)

-EWS system (What this involves I don't really know much of, but I am guessing it's a chip talking to the key telling it to engage on relays etc...)

-Actual Key (I have more than 1 key though, and fault occurs on all keys)

-Steering coloumn or ignitions switch where the key goes in could be faulty.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, or anyone that has gone through this with feedback would be greatly appreciated. One of these intermittent faults can get frustrating when you have places and times to be, and then that pops out of the blue.

Thank once again!
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
ignition switch??

again, it's tough to guess, so you would need to get the thing checked when the fault occurs in order to get an accurate idea on what is gong (or not going) on.

df
Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw vert
Old 07-02-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
any luck on resolving this? My car has the identical problem