Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Help to play music from IPhone 4S over 2006 X3 radio

I am not technically competent and am looking for advice regarding playing music from my phone over the car stereo. I have a 2006 X3 that does not seem to an input jack behind the center console that some people indicated is present on some models. Apple has indicated that they can sell me a device which would allow me to play music from my IPhone 4S over a vacant FM station (approx $30) while BMW indicated they have an MP3 input device which mounts in the glove box which would allow me to play it (approx $150).

Two questions - are these the two best options and is the quality of the sound of the MP3 device worth the additional cost?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 05' X3
You are right, most 06' and prior models don't seem to have that jack. I have not tried either option personally but you are probably better off going with the BMW MP3 option. In the past playing things on a vacent AM or FM station never came in clear for me, and the BMW option would probably look more like a factory option for the car.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Have a look in the FAQ & DIY Sticky thread.

Under Miscellaneous Documents you will find Aux-in Port Installation, showing the part no. and estimating the labor as 0.5 hr.

This is the most cost-effective way to accomplish what you want.
Doesn't have to be in the glovebox - there are better locations.
It became standard equipment for 2007+ located behind the center console.

The part is less than $40, so about $100 would be a fairer estimate from the dealer.
They must be thinking it will take 45 mins. or even 1 hr. to install.

Easy DIY if you feel so inclined. Then you get to choose where it goes - dealers may not be too open to innovation.

Here are the instructions mentioned above:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E39_E53_E83AuxPortInstallInst-3.pdf (708.3 KB, 268 views)
Old 09-19-2012, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
OEM AUX input $32 from Tischer

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

best way, imo, to play iPod/iphone in our X3s. i hate fm tuners because they're horrible to use near cities. i could never get it to play clear, it was always a little static-y.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 5
agree fm tuners suck. Like others on this board, I installed my aux input myself in the center storage bin. More easily accessible

Don't want to break any rules, but there is another forum, xoutpost, that has a page of dyi's. They list how to do it with or with out nav.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmanella View Post
I am not technically competent and am looking for advice regarding playing music from my phone over the car stereo. I have a 2006 X3 that does not seem to an input jack behind the center console that some people indicated is present on some models. Apple has indicated that they can sell me a device which would allow me to play music from my IPhone 4S over a vacant FM station (approx $30) while BMW indicated they have an MP3 input device which mounts in the glove box which would allow me to play it (approx $150).

Two questions - are these the two best options and is the quality of the sound of the MP3 device worth the additional cost?

Thanks!
I think the USA-Spec is hard to beat: http://www.amazon.com/USASPEC-PA12-B.../dp/B000SKUBWE

http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1

Last edited by usaret; 09-19-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
agree fm tuners suck. Like others on this board, I installed my aux input myself in the center storage bin. More easily accessible

Don't want to break any rules, but there is another forum, xoutpost, that has a page of dyi's. They list how to do it with or with out nav.
i'm glad my X3 came with one already. mine was in the glove box, but i relocated it to where the ashtray is.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I have a used Dice Electronic interface that I could sell you cheap if you want it. It was installed in my 2006 X3 without Nav option. It hooks up to the CD changer cabling (did not have the optional changer) under the armrest. Aside from sending audio, it also send track and playlist info to the radio. Much better integration than the simple aux in... PM me if interested. I intend to put it up for sale on Ebay anyway.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Sanity is over rated

Mein Auto: Silver 2006 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylotus View Post
I have a used Dice Electronic interface that I could sell you cheap if you want it. It was installed in my 2006 X3 without Nav option. It hooks up to the CD changer cabling (did not have the optional changer) under the armrest. Aside from sending audio, it also send track and playlist info to the radio. Much better integration than the simple aux in... PM me if interested. I intend to put it up for sale on Ebay anyway.
+1 on mediabridge, great device. Mp3 player interface, USB and bluetooth.

Silverstar upgraded headlights
Velocity motoring vb3 19" 9.5 wheels
Yokahama S drive tires
Upgraded stereo system
Dice Mediabridge
Hitch install
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
I got the AUX cable from Bavarian Auto for $38. Watched the YouTube video on the radio removal. Had to change some pins in the connector and drill a hole in the glove box. Easy DIY for me.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 5
one other thing if you go the aux route. Go to ebay and for like $6 delivered you can get an adapter that plugs into the bottom of the iphone (instead of plugging into the headphone jack).

This way the you don't have to fuss around with the volume levels on the phone
Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
one other thing if you go the aux route. Go to ebay and for like $6 delivered you can get an adapter that plugs into the bottom of the iphone (instead of plugging into the headphone jack).

This way the you don't have to fuss around with the volume levels on the phone
I didn't know anybody made such a thing. Fiddling with the volume on the iPod was one of my biggest complaints with playing it through the AUX input.

I just found one that charges too. All one would need is a usb car charger to have a pretty good setup. http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Audio-30.../dp/B00490OVM0

Last edited by usaret; 09-25-2012 at 06:33 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorguy925 View Post
+1 on mediabridge, great device. Mp3 player interface, USB and bluetooth.
only problem i have with the mediabridge is the low bluetooth quality. an aftermarket stereo with bluetooth has a much better sound quality.