Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i sp/prem/manual
Question F30 "Technology Package" updates on early build cars?

One of my nearby BMW dealers has several 2013 demos for sale. I'm curious whether are any unresolved or unresolvable issues with the technology package on early build cars (especially as regards displaying and "reading to me" my SMS messages and emails).

Thanks so much,
Ads by Google
Old 04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalfeeRider View Post
One of my nearby BMW dealers has several 2013 demos for sale. I'm curious whether are any unresolved or unresolvable issues with the technology package on early build cars (especially as regards displaying and "reading to me" my SMS messages and emails).

Thanks so much,
I have an early 2012 and have no problems with texts or emails (except the email issue everyone has) so you should be fine.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 328i Sedan
Early Build F30 2013

I have one of the very early build F30/N20 with the tech package. No issues, works to my satisfaction.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

Thanks so much,
No, you'll have no issues.

The 2012 F30 is the one with a potential for confusion as the Technology package for '12 did not include many features that were bundled with it starting in '13. However, both years have the same software and same hardware, so no worries for either year on the "unresolved" issues you refer to.

And regarding the "unresolved" issues, those are not BMW's fault, that's on Apple.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I have an early 2012 and have no problems with texts or emails (except the email issue everyone has) so you should be fine.
I pick up my new F30 (actually a factory-owned demo with 10K miles) this afternoon. The dealer gave me the manuals to review overnight, but the price negotiations (ended well thanks to help from the likes of Jon Shafer) lasted 5 hours, so I didn't get a chance to read much last night, not even the 60 page "quick introduction" book.

What's the "email issue everyone has"?

Thanks so much!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 328i 2013 Sport Line
Quote:
What's the "email issue everyone has"?
Thanks so much!
Most people are having trouble recceiving emails through iDrive. There are blackberry phones that can. Androids seem to have trouble, although some report that the newest OS (Jelly Bean) can fix it. Ironically, iPhones, to which BMW seems to have hitched its wagon, have trouble also. It has something to do with Apple's implementation of Bluetooth communications. I have an iPhone 5 and with jailbreak I am now receiving emails, although they appear in the text inbox under Office in iDrive.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM

My issue with email on iPhone is to get it to work you have to close the email app on your phone each time you get in the car, too much hassle.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
My issue with email on iPhone is to get it to work you have to close the email app on your phone each time you get in the car, too much hassle.
This whole fixation people have with getting texts and emails in iDrive is wasted energy.

Truth is, no one wants to wait for a tiny icon, spin the control wheel, and drill through three menus just to read.

Once Siri integration is here, we'll hit a button on the steering wheel and use our voice and that's that. The iDrive implementation of texting and email is silly, causes more distraction than just picking up the phone.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
This whole fixation people have with getting texts and emails in iDrive is wasted energy.

Truth is, no one wants to wait for a tiny icon, spin the control wheel, and drill through three menus just to read.

Once Siri integration is here, we'll hit a button on the steering wheel and use our voice and that's that. The iDrive implementation of texting and email is silly, causes more distraction than just picking up the phone.

BJ
Actually I find the texts display very useful, easier and safer than checking texts on the phone. I have a shortcut button to show texts with one touch which helps.

Also I am still on iPhone 4s and Siri via the car's system is very unreliable for me, hoping it will be better when I switch to iPhone 5s this summer.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:

BJ
I just picked up my car today. The sales associate configured one of my entertainment mode presets so that it shows texts with no need to hunt through menus using the iDrive.

This is actually one of the things that made me willing to update from my manual transmission 2006 330i. When I'm on call as a physician, driving, and receive pages via SMS on my iPhone, I can't pull out my phone to look at (or even better, listen to) the pages. This "office" interface looks as though it will resolve that issue.

I cannot believe how much more the software available to the end user allows us to do as compared to when I bought that 2006 car.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I do not have to do anything to receive emails. The phone pairs,iDrive updates contacts, and new messages start appearing. this is accomplished with jailbreak.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:

BJ
I disagree. My business depends on communicating by email and keeping up with them. I like that I can watch the gray info box on NAV (and most any of the screen options) and tell when I need to check messages. I use a preset button to jump straight to the message inboxes.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Congratulations !

Quote:
I just picked up my car today. The sales associate configured one of my entertainment mode presets so that it shows texts with no need to hunt through menus using the iDrive.

This is actually one of the things that made me willing to update from my manual transmission 2006 330i. When I'm on call as a physician, driving, and receive pages via SMS on my iPhone, I can't pull out my phone to look at (or even better, listen to) the pages. This "office" interface looks as though it will resolve that issue.

I cannot believe how much more the software available to the end user allows us to do as compared to when I bought that 2006 car.
We had a 2006 330i . The technology has had major advances in 7 years!
When you have time, post pictures . My wife & I love Napa Sonoma & belong to some of the winery clubs. Our favorite Winery is Trefethen I have been a Pharmaceutical Representative over 28 years, mainly in the Hospital Division . Have
Fun with your new Bimmer .
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Actually I find the texts display very useful, easier and safer than checking texts on the phone. I have a shortcut button to show texts with one touch which helps.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermeupscoty View Post
I disagree. My business depends on communicating by email and keeping up with them. I like that I can watch the gray info box on NAV (and most any of the screen options) and tell when I need to check messages. I use a preset button to jump straight to the message inboxes.
I tried the 1-8 shortcut too, but you still need to scroll down to click the message, then scroll some more to hit the 'read' button or the 'advance' button.

Not sure about you guys but I keep my iPhone in the cupholder and it's very easy for me to see who just emailed or texted me from that distance, I don't need to work my way through iDrive to see them.

In the next few months we hope to have full Siri integration which means that with the iPhone in the cupholder or the armrest, you hit a steering wheel button, say "read text" and Siri do the rest. For those that don't realize, you have Siri capability right now, just press + hold the home button, set the phone down, and over the car's speakers/microphone say "what is the weather like this weekend?" and off you go.

BJ

Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered Drooler

Mein Auto: '12 335i, '11 X3
Just remember, using your phone (not via iDrive) while driving violates the law in some states. California this week ruled there's no difference between checking maps and texting on your phone.

Be careful out there.
-mike