Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Subaru Forester
Possibly my 1st bimmer

Hi all, this is my first post here.

I'm looking at a 01 330i Auto with 166k on the odo. I have read about the cooling system and auto tranny no reverse problems. I am wondering if there are anything I need to look for.

Here's the ad from the dealer
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/ctd/3325202379.html

I'm going to call them tomorrow and get the VIN so I can check the dealership to see if they have any maintenance record for the car.

Just FYI this will be my first BMW experience. I have been using Subaru for my last few cars. I appreciate any advices!
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2012, 03:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Couple of things: Why is it 2500 under book value, and that's a lot of miles on an auto tranny.
Nothing stands out as bad by looking at the pictures but make sure you go through that car with a fine tooth comb before you touch your wallet.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOK1132 View Post
Couple of things: Why is it 2500 under book value, and that's a lot of miles on an auto tranny.
Nothing stands out as bad by looking at the pictures but make sure you go through that car with a fine tooth comb before you touch your wallet.
I don't know why it's 2500 below book. The dealer was closed when I went looked at it and I totally forgot about writing down the VIN

And ya I know it's a lot for the auto so I'm a bit leery
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Ofcourse can't know for sure...

but my wild guess would be that there's something wrong with ABS/traction control/DSC???

some little ABS sensor issue like what's typical for these cars once in a while

Winter is coming to Alaska and those systems are useful, and maybe dealer doesn't know how to fix easily, so he's wishing to sell it very soon.

Please tell me afterwards if i was right or not.

Last edited by lgr122; 10-09-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Ofcourse can't know for sure...

but my wild guess would be that there's something wrong with ABS/traction control/DSC???

some little ABS sensor issue like what's typical for these cars once in a while

Winter is coming to Alaska and those systems are useful, and maybe dealer doesn't know how to fix easily, so he's wishing to sell it very soon.

Please tell me afterwards if i was right or not.
How do I tell if any of those are wrong? Is there going to be warning light?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentmoy View Post
How do I tell if any of those are wrong? Is there going to be warning light?
Yes, if something is wrong with those systems there will be two yellow warning lights, one for DSC other for ABS.
They use same sensors so, if something is wrong they often show exactly both at the same time.
All of those warning lights can show shortly after starting up, but they should go out.
Those lights which are still on after while are something to worry about.

ABS light bit hidden behind that knob, but that's exactly where they're located and will show you if there's something wrong.
That red one is showing that parking brake is on.

Car runs even if those malfunction, but then driving on slippery surface can be potentially more dangerous.

IF these lights go out shortly after starting engine then i was wrong with my guess and atleast that part is fine with the car.

Last edited by lgr122; 10-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Quietly Learning E46

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOK1132 View Post
and that's a lot of miles on an auto tranny.
car with a fine tooth comb before you touch your wallet.

That's not necessarily an indication that there might be a problem with the tranny.
It has been noted here of tranny well into 300K miles performing fine without any issues.

Do your due diligence and satisfy yourself if it is a good buy.

Good luck
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Man, it is really impossible to tell what to look for. There are many things and some of them are really difficult to know for sure. Even a through inspection may not guarantee things. You may drive the car for thousands of miles w/o a single issue or your dash board lights start coming on one by one within a few weeks.

Buying a used car is always a risk in my opinion. But most of the time it is a risk worth taking. Otherwise nobody would buy a used car.

I am driving my 4th car. None of them were new...