Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-26-2012, 01:50 PM
jgscott987 jgscott987 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 134
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Got Global Software Update, ConnectedDrive menu is gone (UPDATED)

I finally got around to having the Global Software update done on my 2011 528i. It's not perfect, but it has definitely helped the tip-in issue.

Unfortunately when they did the update, they changed something in the system that deleted my ConnectedDrive menu. I can no longer access Pandora, etc through the iDrive.

I'm taking the car in on Friday for them to fix the problem, but I'm concerned that they may shrug their shoulders and say there's nothing they can do. I had to really prod them to get the Global Update done in the first place.

Anyone have any insight I can give the service guy when I take the car in?

Last edited by jgscott987; 10-05-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-26-2012, 02:15 PM
chuck92116's Avatar
chuck92116 chuck92116 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 867
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
So are you saying when you plug in your iPhone, and launch the BMW Connected app on the phone, there is no longer a menu on the screen to access apps?

If you launch the Pandora app, do you see it pop up in the AM, FM menu area?
__________________
2011 535i
2013 VW Golf TDI

Last edited by chuck92116; 09-26-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,880
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
I finally got around to having the Global Software update done on my 2011 528i. It's not perfect, but it has definitely helped the tip-in issue.

Unfortunately when they did the update, they changed something in the system that deleted my ConnectedDrive menu. I can no longer access Pandora, etc through the iDrive.

I'm taking the car in on Friday for them to fix the problem, but I'm concerned that they may shrug their shoulders and say there's nothing they can do. I had to really prod them to get the Global Update done in the first place.

Anyone have any insight I can give the service guy when I take the car in?
If this was your very first firmware update since August of 2011 then this firmware update introduced enabling codes (FSC) for the ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps feature. The enabling codes were not present in your 2011 firmware therefore your BMW Apps disappeared.

Simply tell them to load the damn BMW Apps FSC codes that they forgot to load.

Your dealer should have known about this in the first place as there was a very specific SIB explaining all this, released 9-10 months ago. So you do not have to waste your time going back for them to do it right the second time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2012, 03:43 PM
chuck92116's Avatar
chuck92116 chuck92116 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 867
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If this was your very first firmware update since August of 2011 then this firmware update introduced enabling codes (FSC) for the ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps feature. The enabling codes were not present in your 2011 firmware therefore your BMW Apps disappeared.

Simply tell them to load the damn BMW Apps FSC codes that they forgot to load.

Your dealer should have known about this in the first place as there was a very specific SIB explaining all this, released 9-10 months ago. So you do not have to waste your time going back for them to do it right the second time.
Wow, I had this issue on a BMW like 8 years ago, I guess I should not be surprised the system is still so dumb that basic coding mistakes are still easily made.
__________________
2011 535i
2013 VW Golf TDI
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM
laser's Avatar
laser laser is offline
now driving number eight!
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,172
Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Give me a break .... my dealer ... escalated to BMWNA .... refused the software update for my F10 .... ditched the 535i ....
__________________
Laser

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
___________________________

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,880
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
Wow, I had this issue on a BMW like 8 years ago, I guess I should not be surprised the system is still so dumb that basic coding mistakes are still easily made.
The system is very engineering-focused, not technician-friendly. So unless the tech/shop foreman are constantly reading the latest TIS/SIB and being on top of new things then they will not know exactly what to do and quick.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 PM
jgscott987 jgscott987 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 134
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Update

Took my car in yesterday for what was to be a quick update to add back the ConnectedDrive and BMW Apps.

The tech has now been working on it for two full days, and has been consulting with BMW. I get a call this afternoon that the ConnectedDrive menu is now showing up, but every time they start or try to drive the car it comes up with malfunction warnings and is undriveable. They "put the car to sleep" twice, but it's still throwing error codes.

What the heck have they done to my car??? I'm scared that they're going to permanently screw something up.

For anyone who hasn't gotten the Global Software Update yet, I recommend holding off. It improved the tip-in problem somewhat, but the side effects are a potential nightmare. I guess this is what you get when you have grease monkeys trying to program computers.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I had no issues with the update. You appear to be the first, honestly.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 PM
FBI808 FBI808 is offline
Registered User
Location: OR
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
My update went well also.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 AM
jgscott987 jgscott987 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 134
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
You guys are right- I over-reacted by suggesting folks not get the update. I'm just concerned and frustrated by what's happening to my car.

Has anyone else had issues with the dealer completely screwing up the software in the car?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 PM
mkossler mkossler is offline
Matty K.
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
Same problem happened to me, it's documented in another thread. They had to re-do to the whole SIB to get the BMW Apps / Connected Drive portion to work.

Good luck!
__________________
2011 535i (8/2011 build) Jet Black, Black Dakota leather, Dark Wood, Convenience, Premium 1 & 2, SmartPhone, BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms