Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Good post, I agree.

BJ
I just framed it on my wall.

Now what have I missed after the above post of BJ?

Last edited by dtc100; 09-30-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
55% of the ATS is domestic. Engine is made in mexico.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
No BMWs listed in the top cars that the auto writers would buy for under $100,000.

"As automotive writers, we're always asked what our favorite cars are or which cars we would buy if we had the money. To answer the latter query, Vanity Fair writer Brett Berk polled 13 scribes to see what they'd pick for under $100,000. An interesting mix of vehicles ensues. Some of the choices stretched the imaginary budget to its max while others went all bang-for-the-buck on us, but what's most surprising about the list is that more than half the cars on it are available with a manual transmission.

Of course cars like the Porsche 911, Ford Mustang and a couple of Mercedes-Benz AMG cars make the cut, but there were also a handful of choices that caught us off guard. Jonny Lieberman of Motor Trend chose the Subaru BRZ, Autoblog weekend editor Alex Nunez would love commuting in a brown Tesla Model S Performance, and Jake Fisher of Consumer Reports picked the Hyundai Veloster... non-turbo!"

Here's the full list of what these 13 auto writers would take home if given a sub-$100,000 car:
Mercedes-Benz E63 Wagon
Audi A7
Mini John Cooper Works Convertible
Porsche 911 Carrera S
Hyundai Veloster
Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid
Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG
Jaguar XF Supercharged
Lotus Evora
Subaru BRZ
Tesla Model S Performance
Ford Mustang Boss 302
Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
Can you post a list of all 13 automotive writers if available? I'm not surprised that the CR reporter chose the least sporty car of the group. Even the Cayenne is sportier than a Veloster.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
55% of the ATS is domestic. Engine is made in mexico.
Knew that already, what else I missed?

Oh that list of cars the journalists picked. Here is an example why they cannot be trusted when it comes to picking a winner in this segment. The entry level luxury sedan segment is supposedly the most demanding of all, has so many entries, must meet so many demands of the drivers and their families all at the same time.

Logic says the winner(s) of this segment should be on that list. I guess we are not as important a demographic as we thought.

Last edited by dtc100; 09-30-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Knew that already, what else I missed?

Oh that list of cars the journalists picked. Here is an example why they cannot be trusted when it comes to picking a winner in this segment. The entry level luxury sedan segment is supposedly the most demanding of all, has so many entries, must meet so many demands of the drivers and their families all at the same time.

Logic says the winner(s) of this segment should be on that list. I guess we are not as important a demographic as we thought.
That' why we need to know all of the voters. No one I know considers CR an enthusiast oriented review magazine, the one magazine I'd even slightly see as enthusiast oriented listed so far is MT and they picked a damn fine car. I've read that some C and D editors own 3 series BMW's. I f these guys were real enthusiasts and could choose a car for $100K, I'd think the Porsche 911 would be the choice of many.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:32 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

All the writers polled already own BMW 3 Series.

If the money fairy came down and dropped $100 grand under your pillow, why go buy something you already have? Live the fantasy, get something different. There's a Ford and a Hyundai on the list, not really sure if the hillbilly vote counts here.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-30-2012, 07:39 PM

The fact those reviewers own 3 series, would that not disqualify them from reviewing other cars against the 3? Any judge faced with similar situation will long have excused him or herself from making the judgment.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
The fact those reviewers own 3 series, would that not disqualify them from reviewing other cars against the 3? Any judge faced with similar situation will long have excused him or herself from making the judgment.
Let me make sure I get this straight:

For months you tell us how the ATS is coming to kick some BMW ass.

For months we tell you that no one is interested in dumping their BMW for a crappy GM with a brand-image problem.

The ATS finally arrives, a big oh-fer in two significant publications head-to-head reviews.

Someone digs up an obscure article about a dozen writers and their personal choices in cars around $100,000.

Now that the Cadillac has failed to crush the BMW 3, it's time for you to support the Ford Mustang Boss 302 and the Hyundai Veloster in your quest to tell F30 drivers that they're stupid.

I get that right?

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
What would you have them drive? They have to drive something and they review cars across the board. It has long been known the car of personal choice for the majority of writers at C&D is the 3er.......you know, non-enthusiast, preppy, yuppies that they are looking for maximum cred with the Camry crowd at Wal*Mart.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-30-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Let me make sure I get this straight:

For months you tell us how the ATS is coming to kick some BMW ass.

For months we tell you that no one is interested in dumping their BMW for a crappy GM with a brand-image problem.

The ATS finally arrives, a big oh-fer in two significant publications head-to-head reviews.

Someone digs up an obscure article about a dozen writers and their personal choices in cars around $100,000.

Now that the Cadillac has failed to crush the BMW 3, it's time for you to support the Ford Mustang Boss 302 and the Hyundai Veloster in your quest to tell F30 drivers that they're stupid.

I get that right?

BJ
You completely lost me.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
What would you have them drive? They have to drive something and they review cars across the board. It has long been known the car of personal choice for the majority of writers at C&D is the 3er.......you know, non-enthusiast, preppy, yuppies that they are looking for maximum cred with the Camry crowd at Wal*Mart.
Ok maybe there is no choice but let them do the reviews, but should there not be a disclaimer, like any stock analyst will know to list his or her holdings at the end of the analysis, if such holdings are relevant.

I know you were being sarcastic, but the issue is real. Just look at how the current F30 owners defend their turf.

That reminds me how the C&D reviewer conducted his test. I don't know if he drives a 3 as his daily driver or not, but he clearly did not like the ATS, he appeared not wanting to be bothered by it. He even complained about the CUE because his large radar detector cord touched the screen and changed the speaker volume. Really? Who dangles a three feet cord down from the rear view mirror?

Of course in the end, he characterized the ATS as another fly swipped away by the new 3 series. Was that necessary? Was he trying to be funny or to make sure we know he could not wait for that video to be over? He sure sounded solemnly when he said it. He did not even try to hide his bias.

BJ would have been a more objective reviewer in that video.

Last edited by dtc100; 09-30-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Can you post a list of all 13 automotive writers if available? I'm not surprised that the CR reporter chose the least sporty car of the group. Even the Cayenne is sportier than a Veloster.
Let me see if this link works for the Vanity Fair article. My previous attempts did not work.

http://www.vanityfair.com/style/stic...to-buy#slide=1

Bingo!

I like this quote: "In California, BMWs are like Bavarian cockroaches, so, no."

Last edited by beden1; 09-30-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Let me see if this link works for the Vanity Fair article. My previous attempts did not work.

Bingo!

FYI, Mr. Sam Smith on slide #12 is also an in-house Roundel magazine columnist (you shall know him if you still have a valid BMWCCA membership) :

Sam Smith, Executive Editor, Road & Track

Current Car: 1989 BMW M3
Car Pick: 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 ($42,995)

"Side-mounted exhaust pipes loud enough to rattle dishes in the next county. A stick for a rear axle-solid, like a pickup truck's, and thus gloriously feisty. A 5.0-liter, 444-hp V8 that spins to a vibrasonic 7,500 rpm. Suspension that works a veritable miracle, performing well on both track and street. Drive one of these things, and you feel like the world's most sophisticated goon. Scratch that: you are the world's most sophisticated goon. I have stripes. Do you have stripes? No? Then get the hell out of the way."

Last edited by bayoucity; 09-30-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
BJ, I sometimes question your taste. However, I'm agreeing with you on 3.0 csi.

There were a number of them at the Sunday in the Park concours portion of the Lime Rock Historics on Labor Day Sunday. The first BMW I ever drove was a friends 2800 CS.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 10-01-2012, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
FYI, Mr. Sam Smith on slide #12 is also an in-house Roundel magazine columnist (you shall know him if you still have a valid BMWCCA membership) :

"Side-mounted exhaust pipes loud enough to rattle dishes in the next county. A stick for a rear axle-solid, like a pickup truck's, and thus gloriously feisty. A 5.0-liter, 444-hp V8 that spins to a vibrasonic 7,500 rpm. Suspension that works a veritable miracle, performing well on both track and street. Drive one of these things, and you feel like the world's most sophisticated goon. Scratch that: you are the world's most sophisticated goon. I have stripes. Do you have stripes? No? Then get the hell out of the way."
Part ofme wants to buy the most obnoxious car I can afford, that would be the Boss
Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Ok maybe there is no choice but let them do the reviews, but should there not be a disclaimer, like any stock analyst will know to list his or her holdings at the end of the analysis, if such holdings are relevant.

I know you were being sarcastic, but the issue is real. Just look at how the current F30 owners defend their turf.

That reminds me how the C&D reviewer conducted his test. I don't know if he drives a 3 as his daily driver or not, but he clearly did not like the ATS, he appeared not wanting to be bothered by it. He even complained about the CUE because his large radar detector cord touched the screen and changed the speaker volume. Really? Who dangles a three feet cord down from the rear view mirror?

Of course in the end, he characterized the ATS as another fly swipped away by the new 3 series. Was that necessary? Was he trying to be funny or to make sure we know he could not wait for that video to be over? He sure sounded solemnly when he said it. He did not even try to hide his bias.

BJ would have been a more objective reviewer in that video.
What C and D review are you referring to?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Bingo!

Thank you. Surprisingly funny and well written takes. If one takes the time to read the article and continues to make it about not owning BMW, then that person needs to get a funny bone and get a real life.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Thank you. Surprisingly funny and well written takes. If one takes the time to read the article and continues to make it about not owning BMW, then that person needs to get a funny bone and get a real life.
The surprising find for me was the Subaru BRZ. I definitely want to test drive one.

A quote from the article: "Most important for us writerly types, you get $90,000-plus Porsche-style handling for right around $28K, with all the proper options ticked."

It also looks like being a automotive journalist is not a road to riches. Most are driving older cars, and it's nice to see how they are just like everyone else, mostly raising young families and having to set their priorities accordingly.

Last edited by beden1; 10-01-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
http://www.insideline.com/cadillac/a...full-test.html

Quote:
That the ATS is not yet capable of bettering the class benchmark in its first generation should surprise no one
Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Another major publication, another Cadillac loss. Read some comments from those who read that article:

Quote:
The only thing the 328i has over the ATS is snob appeal. Look at most of the 3-Series owners; the vast majority could care less about actual performance or driving in general. Rather, they are too busy keeping up with the Jones's.

I really do hate that we as Americans were forced to bail out GM and will probably never buy a GM vehicle because of it.
Quote:
For those discussing MSRP - it's meaningless. Look at 3-series sales - dominated by leases.

Compare the ATS vs. 3-series lease.

Caddy's challenge is getting people to buy an unknown new car (the ATS) for $20-30 less a month than the aggressive lease prices on a 3-series, a well-recognized and beloved model.
The problem with building a Cadillac for enthusiasts is that there aren't enough of them.

BJ

Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
The surprising find for me was the Subaru BRZ. I definitely want to test drive one.

A quote from the article: "Most important for us writerly types, you get $90,000-plus Porsche-style handling for right around $28K, with all the proper options ticked."

It also looks like being a automotive journalist is not a road to riches. Most are driving older cars, and it's nice to see how they are just like everyone else, mostly raising young families and having to set their priorities accordingly.
If that is the case, apparently they spoke of their fantasies, not what best suited their needs, both out of their own passion and for their families.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
If that is the case, apparently they spoke of their fantasies, not what best suited their needs, both out of their own passion and for their families.
I guess you can read the article to determine where you perceive the writers were coming from.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I guess you can read the article to determine where you perceive the writers were coming from.
I can't, I will make the same mistake of taking one of those cars home, only to have to trade it in after a few months. Once is enough. The day will come, I hope.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
This is a more balanced review, it confirms my impression. The ATS is built to have max fun on twisties and at turns. It has faster trap time, stops sooner, pulls more lateral g, and with better steering connection to the front tires. I am more convinced the 3.6L is the only way to go if one considers an ATS primarily for fun and driving dynamics, despite every report saying the 2.0T will be the volume seller.

The 3.6L will have the exhaust note, and the power to compete in this segment. But to do so, the 3.6L needs to have 328i's price.

The minimum MSRP for the most performance optioned ATS 3.6 is $48k. The most performance optioned F30 328i is only $39k, although without many fancy items such as navigation and LSD.

Last edited by dtc100; 10-01-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
No ATS content in this post, simply a summary of the Vanity Fair article, with my own commentary.

Eddie Alterman, Editor in Chief, Car and Driver
Current Car: 1983 Mercedes-Benz 300D
Car Pick: Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG wagon ($98,950)

Brett Berk, Automotive Columnist, Vanity Fair
Current Cars: 2004 BMW 325i Sport, 1972 GMC Suburban 4x4
Car Pick: 2013 Audi A7 Prestige ($75,920)
Specifically mentions 3-series wagon would be #1 if it had been available.

Andrew Del-Colle, Associate Editor, Popular Mechanics
Current Car: None Note: (NYC resident)
Car Pick: Mini John Cooper Works Convertible ($51,723)
$52k?!?!?!?!?!

Hannah Elliott, Staff Reporter, Forbes
Current Car: My grandmother’s Chelsea boots Note: (NYC resident)
Car Pick: 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S ($99,415)

Jake Fisher, Director of Auto Testing, Consumer Reports Cars
Current Cars: Consumer Reports’ test cars
Car Pick: 2013 Hyundai Veloster ($19,450)
Said he's going practical to afford dedicated track car

Justin Hyde, Senior Editor, Motoramic, the Yahoo! Autos blog
Current Car: 2010 Mazda 5
Car Pick: 2013 Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid ($98,970)

Jean Jennings, Editor in Chief, Automobile
Current Car: 2007 Chevrolet Suburban
Car Pick: Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG ($95,900)

Davey Johnson, Senior Online Editor, West Coast, Autoweek
Current Car: 1994 Chevy K1500 Blazer
Car Pick: Jaguar XF Supercharged ($72,225)
"In California, BMWs are like Bavarian cockroaches, so, no." Personally, I don't pay attention to what others are driving when making vehicle choices. YMMV.

Jamie Kitman, New York Bureau Chief, Automobile; Contributor, GQ, Yahoo! Autos, NPR’s Car Talk
Current Cars: An assortment of 30+ vintage European vehicles
Car Pick: Lotus Evora S ($83,745)

Jonny Lieberman, Senior Features Editor, Motor Trend
Current Car: 2001 Subaru WRX Wagon
Car Pick: Subaru BRZ ($27,900)
"Most important for us writerly types, you get $90,000-plus Porsche-style handling for right around $28K."

Alex Nunez, Senior Editor, Autos, ConsumerSearch.com
Current Car: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Car Pick: Tesla Model S Performance ($92,400—before $7,500 federal tax credit)

Hoon.

Tamara Warren, Freelance Automotive Journalist, Forbes, Gotryke, Gearist
Current Cars: 1983 Dodge Diplomat, 1988 Dodge Diplomat, 1965 Dodge Coronet
Car Pick: 2013 Range Rover Evoque ($60,095)