Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-26-2012, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Need advice on 2010/2011 328i CPO purchases

I'm looking to buy my first BMW, either a 2010 or 2011 328i, CPO. I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices (Los Angeles area), and would love to get your opinion on them:

Option 1:
Price: $26k
Year: 2010
Mileage: 20k
Warranty: 4 yr/50k warranty ends early 2014, 2 yr/50k CPO ends early 2016
Color: Monaco Blue
Options in addition to value package: leather seats, moon roof, Assist
Time on lot: a couple months

Option 2:
Price: $27k
Year: 2011
Mileage: 28k
Warranty: 4 yr/50k warranty ends mid 2015, 2 yr/50k CPO ends mid 2017; extended maintenance plan to mid 2017
Color: Grey
Options in addition to value package: leather seats, moon roof
Time on lot: just added

My main concern is to minimize cost of ownership for the next 3-4 years I'm gonna drive it, and be able to sell it at the best price. I drove both and they were pretty much identical. How much wiggle room is there in the price, and how useful is that extended maintenance plan on option 2? I've heard some say it's basically just breaks, oil/filter, which might be less than the supposed $2k price of the extended maintenance plan. If useful, what would be a fair price to negotiate for as an addition on option 1 car?

As well, I have read elsewhere CPO can be a rip off? Is it a better idea to buy used then add on an extended warranty (heard it's ~$2k, would love some pointers on this as well)? As well, is it a good idea to get a PPI? Some argue it can uncover issues even on these relatively new vehicles, others say most things are covered under the warranty.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by aznlionheart; 09-27-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54

READ

Those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it.

As it is impossible to answer your questions, above determines where value lies. Good luck with your negotiations!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-27-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlionheart View Post
I'm looking to buy my first BMW, either a 2010 or 2011 328i, CPO. I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices (Los Angeles area), and would love to get your opinion on them:

Option 1:
Price: $26k
Year: 2010
Mileage: 20k
Warranty: 4 yr/50k warranty ends early 2014, 2 yr/50k CPO ends early 2016
Color: Monaco Blue
Options in addition to value package: leather seats, moon roof, Assist
Time on lot: a couple months

Option 2:
Price: $27k
Year: 2011
Mileage: 28k
Warranty: 4 yr/50k warranty ends mid 2015, 2 yr/50k CPO ends mid 2017; extended maintenance plan to mid 2017
Color: Grey
Options in addition to value package: leather seats, moon roof
Time on lot: just added

My main concern is to minimize cost of ownership for the next 3-4 years I'm gonna drive it, and be able to sell it at the best price. I drove both and they were pretty much identical. How much wiggle room is there in the price, and how useful is that extended maintenance plan on option 2? I've heard some say it's basically just breaks, oil/filter, which might be less than the supposed $2k price of the extended maintenance plan. If useful, what would be a fair price to negotiate for as an addition on option 1 car?

As well, I have read elsewhere CPO can be a rip off? Is it a better idea to buy used then add on an extended warranty (heard it's ~$2k, would love some pointers on this as well)? As well, is it a good idea to get a PPI? Some argue it can uncover issues even on these relatively new vehicles, others say most things are covered under the warranty.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
IMO the maintenance plan is not worth the price. If you're serious about the second car try to negotiate removing it. CPO is much more valuable as it's somewhat of a warranty extension. I say somewhat because it doesn't cover everything the standard warranty does.

As for a PPI it's never a bad thing. You're buying a > $20K car so a couple hundred bucks is well worth it. There was a thread where someone purchased a CPO car, SEL illuminated on the way home, and he subsequently learned mice had chewed through some of the wiring. Being this was not a manufacturing defect the repair wasn't covered under warranty (but eventually was covered with a lot of whining all over the place). CPO missed it. PPI could miss it too as it was in an area that wasn't obvious. I've also read other examples where CPO missed other things as well. The point being just because it's CPO doesn't mean it's flawless. CPO doesn't mean a car hasn't been in an accident so don't assume as much.

While we're on the subject of accidents don't assume a clean CarFax means the vehicle has not been involved in an accident. I have seen and read about a number of vehicles with clean CarFax's having been involved in accidents. CarFax and CPO only tell you what they know/discovered...they cannot tell you about things that may have been missed.

PPI should be done by a competent mechanic familiar with BMW's.

As to which you should choose that's a personal decision. You can always attempt to negotiate price. As you've got two similar vehicles you're considering you can play the dealers off one another if they're different. Probably less room to negotiate now on the one recently added to the lot. Don't be afraid to ask...and don't be afraid to be aggressive. But also be realistic...don't be unreasonable.

HTH

Last edited by sunny5280; 09-27-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Thanks for the tips sunny5280!

I was reading that thread CALWATERBOY. What are some signs of previous neglect, short of paint and scratches?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlionheart View Post
Thanks for the tips sunny5280!

I was reading that thread CALWATERBOY. What are some signs of previous neglect, short of paint and scratches?
Here we're looking at a service history - what was done or not done. For cars coming off warranty, check with w/dealer, VIN in hand.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Fungineer

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
The way I see this, you are in the same position as me, having no intentions of keeping it after the warranty expires. Since you plan to drive it 3-4 years, you are inside the warranty period, you do not need to worry about any problems. 2011 is going to worth more than 2010, more than that 1k difference. I would just see if I can get the 2011 down by 1k or even 500 and take that. Is this a coupe or sedan? You definitely want the 2011 coupe. Sedans have no difference in those years.