Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
2007 X5 Idrive Problems?

I have now owned a 4.8 X5 2007 for about 4 months and have about 2000 miles on it. My car has already been in the shop for over 1 week with Idrive issues which led to the dealer replacing the "CCC" (which I believe is called the Computer Central Control unit which is basically the entire computer for the Idrive) as my idrive screen would freeze at times, not come on at all, etc. I have had the fix now for about 2 months but once again the Idrive has frozen at times where one cannot change the radio station for about 30 seconds, the screen does not come on at all (just twice), at times the rearview camera does not turn on when going in reverse, etc. My question to this forum is whether I have just had bad luck or this is typical for BMW's IDrive system and this is more the norm? Thx
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 X5 35i
Just bad luck.. most people never have a problem with i drive. However, when it craps out it seems to do so spectacularly..
Old 07-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Diver624

Mein Auto: Porsche 911 Turbo
I've had zero problems with mine since new in April.
Porsche 993 Cab.
Porsche 996 Turbo (Ruf 550) gone but not forgotten
Old 07-26-2007, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: X5
idrive broken also

My idrive is frozen all the time also and cannot be fixed. It has been like that since day 1 and the car is 3 months old. NO matter what it keeps happening despite all attempts to fix it. I hear this is a common problem with the new 4.8 X5. It 's too bad because I was a big BMW fan until now. I have no radio, no phone, no CD, no navigation and I paid for all of it. Additionally my BMW assist doesn't work and the car is only 3 months old. Does anyone have any suggestions or does anyone have a success story where the idrive was fixed?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 03 m3/07 x5
my ccc unit went out about a month ago. took it into the dealership and they replaced it. The first replacement unit they installed had the same problem as my burnt out one so they had to order a third unit to install. After about 2 weeks in the dealership, it finally worked.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 S7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajx5 View Post
I have now owned a 4.8 X5 2007 for about 4 months and have about 2000 miles on it. My car has already been in the shop for over 1 week with Idrive issues which led to the dealer replacing the "CCC" (which I believe is called the Computer Central Control unit which is basically the entire computer for the Idrive) as my idrive screen would freeze at times, not come on at all, etc. I have had the fix now for about 2 months but once again the Idrive has frozen at times where one cannot change the radio station for about 30 seconds, the screen does not come on at all (just twice), at times the rearview camera does not turn on when going in reverse, etc. My question to this forum is whether I have just had bad luck or this is typical for BMW's IDrive system and this is more the norm? Thx
We got our X5s about the same time and I have had no issues. My suggestion is to document everything. I know nothing about the CCC but sometimes there is an underlining reason why a part fails that is not found until a replacement part also fails.
This would be your second time back for the same issue which you should keep track of.

Sometimes my display will jump to a screen by itself but it seems OK when reset. You have way more than that going on. Just like sometimes I get air from the center vent and other times not with the same setting. Odd but the X5 is still fun to drive.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 PM

I actually just got it back from being serviced again (this time a BMW field rep was present) and they found out that some of the software was not updated properly when they replaced the CCC a few months back. They supposedly have reprogrammed the car using a different process and claim it should be working without any more issues. I hope they are right as it is great to drive but I am certainly documenting this. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:23 PM

Well I have had the car back for about 2 1/2 weeks since the last repair and at times the Idrive still freezes up (can't change a radio station, change volume, navigation gets stuck, etc.) but is probably a little better than before. Not sure what to do next but I have noticed another aspect that when starting the car sometimes the Idrive "accept" prompt pops up right away and other times it takes 15-30 seconds for the "accept" to pop up. The problem with this is that if you do not wait and just start to drive the radio, navigation, rear camera, etc. does not work until the "accept" prompt appears. Is this "accept" prompt issue inconsistency normal for the idrive?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 4.8 sports pkg
I had the same problem with I Drive freezing and nothing else working. I took it back to the dealer and they did a software update that took 4 days. It works great now (3 months later). The colors and the patterns on the menues changed completely after the software update and the Navigation map looks 100% better with different colors and crispier lines. I took delivery of my SUV at the end of March. As far as the erratic timing of the Accept prompt, it is still there, but I think it is one of the quirks of this car.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: nc, 07 X5 3.0si
My wife's 2007 x5 idrive is twitchy sometimes. It switches between menu screens without anyone touching the control knob.