Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
The latest and greatest V8 powered M3!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: M3
08 M3 Maintenance

I'm new to this forum and was looking for some info on 08 M3 maintenance and general info before I purchase one. I found an 08 M3 6spd with 15K miles for 45K (no CF roof). Link is below:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...28290666&Log=0

Pretty much looking to see what i should expect in terms of maintenance cost (dealer vs local euro car shop), any recalls, and general input on what you think of the the car overall.

Originally, I was thinking of purchasing an 07-09 M6 with similar mileage and price range so any input on the topic is welcome as well.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you all.
Ads by Google
Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
M cars t

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 09-29-2012, 05:27 PM
BMW master tech

Need to consider that engine requires special M oil and is very expensive besides that nothing special. There's been some problems with crankshaft, idle control valve,valve springs, ignition coil ground circuits but nothing to worry about. If you choose to go to euro shop not desl

Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 PM
BMW master tech

,^^^euro shop make sure it has an ex dealer t

Old 09-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoli View Post
I'm new to this forum and was looking for some info on 08 M3 maintenance and general info before I purchase one. I found an 08 M3 6spd with 15K miles for 45K (no CF roof). Link is below:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...28290666&Log=0

Pretty much looking to see what i should expect in terms of maintenance cost (dealer vs local euro car shop), any recalls, and general input on what you think of the the car overall.

Originally, I was thinking of purchasing an 07-09 M6 with similar mileage and price range so any input on the topic is welcome as well.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you all.
Welcome. Price seems optimistic for an out of warranty 08 coupe, even with 14K miles.

Carfax doesn't indicate anything service related. Do you know if the 1,200 mile service was completed?

Early models had issues with the idle control valve. Might be an idea to ask if this was replaced. Otherwise, these NA V8s seem to be relatively trouble free.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Thanks for getting back to me. I am not sure if the 1200 mile service was completed or the idle control valve. Would you have an idea of the cost to have these done? Glad to hear that there are not too many issues, makes me feel more comfortable moving forward especially since it is out of warranty.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
A recent post on another forum reporting an idle control valve replacement under extended warranty totaled $3,854.

This person had a small deductible.

Be an excellent idea to get an extended warranty if that is important to you.

You sure you can't spring to an 09? There was a huge leap in idrive capability with the Life Cycle Impulse changes introduced that year.

I paid $48.9K for my 22k mile '09 in Feb, for example.

- J.C. Watts Jr.