Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540I
Angry Blue/white smoke coming from exaust

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, I have an issue with my used 2003 BMW 540I, it's kind of a long story but to get the proper response, I think that you should know the full story.

A couple of weeks ago, my car were towed for not having the proper decals only a couple of days after my birthday. I got the car from the towing company a couple of days later, it was only a few mile from my home, drove the car home fine without any problems. The next day I drove down to my mom home which is about 30 minutes away from me, when I got to her house, my car was leaking fluids. It turned out to be antifreeze, so I put water back in it and some extra water in bottles for the drive home “first mistake". I got just about all the way home and the car ran hot and I pulled over to add more water but as fast as I put it in it ran out. I finally made it home car smoking and all that. I had to replace the overflow reservoir for the coolant, and the hose that goes from the radiator to the engine. I refilled car with proper coolant and started it to let it run, when I cranked it up, I got blue/white smoke from the exhaust; I thought that might have been from the coolant just being added. I drove the car the next day and still got smoke from the exhaust, but the car was not over heating and the temp gauge stayed in the middle. Then the car started driving very rugged like it was going to shut off at every stop, then the check engine light started flashing as I accelerated the car. I did some searching on the internet and called BMW repair and they told me that the check engine flashing has something to do with the emissions. I took the car in to them and had them do diagnostic and it was found that number 1 coil was not firing, so had that replace along with all the spark plugs. The car is not running rugged any more but I still have blue/white smoke coming from the exhaust. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what could be causing this issue i.e. piston rings, head gasket. If it either of those is it worth spending the money to have it repaired. The car had been running fine with out any issues at all, it does have high mileage 200,000, and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 91 E30
Welcome, I moved your thread to the E39 forum.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 PM

Thank you, sorry for posting in the wrong forum.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
First thing you need to do is find a *competent* shop that is familiar with BMWs. Have them perform a compression/leakdown test to determine if the head gasket is leaking, or the presence of a cracked block or cylinder head. (All of these are "worst case scenarios", but may not apply in your case). But you need to know the extent of the damage, so you can figure out what you want to do next.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 PM

You know, I am just wondering why the bmw mechanic did not do this test, I explained to them exactly what happen and it seems to me that your response should have been there response, do you know how much that test may run? Thank you
Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
It should be an hour, maybe two to determine if you have major damage. Pretty simple actually. They replace the spark plug with a gage and crank the engine. If there is a leak, the gage will not register the proper pressure (compression). They do each cylinder. That's it.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 91 E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond49017 View Post
Thank you, sorry for posting in the wrong forum.
No, you did not post in the wrong forum. I just didn't want your intro to go ignored. No worries.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 PM

ok, if it's determined that there is a leak, what are my option after that i.e. have the heade rebuilt or replace, or the hole engine?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
ok, if it's determined that there is a leak, what are my option after that i.e. have the heade rebuilt or replace, or the hole engine?
Let`s not get ahead of ourselves here, no sense jumping to premature (false) conclusions until you know exactly what`s wrong. I don`t know about V8s, but overheating on 6-cylinder BMWs can have dire consequences, such as head warpage (largely because of it`s greater length), and a strange phenomenon where the aluminum block loses it`s ability to tighten the head bolts to their full torque value. In situations like that, a replacement (salvage yard) engine is usually the best path to take.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-29-2012, 02:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i; 2010 550i
Quote:
the car ran hot and I pulled over to add more water but as fast as I put it in it ran out.
This might be your luck. Generally it is not a great idea to fill cold water into an overheated engine because the big temperature difference might crack the head.