Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 AM
Token Master

Mein Auto: Coded F30
Lead The Way!

Update: 02/04/2015
BMW Lead The Way! V1.1.6
Fix missing map details for countries with agreement with Google (map details are slightly outdated), i.e., Russia. Fuzzy data will remain fuzzy. Previous version will not show data at all.
Download link: BMW LeadTheWaySetup_1.1.6.msi.pdf (Rename to .msi/remove .pdf)

Update: 02/01/2015
BMW Lead The Way! V1.1.5
Updated to fix Obfuscation bug

Update: 02/01/2015
BMW Lead The Way! V1.1.4
Supports updated Google API, which caused the Longitude data to be unreadable.

Update: 11/23/2014
BMW Lead The Way! V1.1.3 Now supports both CIC and NBT. Thanks to Frogman for testing CIC
Rebuilt map data generation
Moved Directions panel to the right of the search box
"Via" icons are now displayed properly

Download link: Attachment 477694 (Rename to .msi/remove .pdf)

Lead The Way! - A BMW Route Planner using Google Maps JavaScript API V3 mapping and routing engine.

I needed something like this and the only options available is the ad laden Tyre app, or a ConnectedDrive account. Of course, the latter is not something you can just request, so really, Tyre is the only real options (or Google Map + KML to BMW Trip that was released last week -both of which are clunky)

Out of necessity, here comes Lead The Way! Not the best name I can come up with, but whatever

What does it do? It bundles Google Maps and KML to BMW into one nifty app. Powered by Google Maps JS API, it brings a few feature into the app. Here's the list:
  • Address or POI Search with Auto-Complete
  • Step-by-step Directions
  • Street View
  • Current Traffic Condition
  • Current Weather
  • Quick POI Search (Gas, Parking, Airport, BMW Service Center)
  • Highway/Toll Roads Avoidance
  • Up to 10 Stopover/Way points
  • Route Preview

Some screenshots:

POI Search/Itinerary Creation

Step-by-step Directions (Printable with map)

Traffic Condition

Route Preview - my favorite feature

Custom Image (non-replaceable for now)

Note the different icon used by NBT for waypoints

Unfortunately, NBT seems to always ignore non-stopover waypoints. Work around is to add it as itinerary/stopover instead of 'via's.

Also, the output currently does not work with CIC. I'm still looking into it and Frogman is helping me. I don't have CIC so it's kinda hard

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 and a solid internet connection. You must have IE9+ as well. Anything lower and it will be crappy.

I've uploaded 3 attachments. a Zip file (contains the app and supporting files), an MSI (setup/installer) and a PDF (documentation).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW Lead The Way.pdf (1.39 MB, 124 views)

Last edited by TokenMaster; 02-04-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Awesome!

Thanks!

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i (F30)
TokenMaster,

Terrific!!

2014 328i |Premium| Technology| Cold Weather| Harmon Kardon Stereo| Manual|
BMW CCA
Old 10-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Token Master

I was working on a newer version but had to stop. This version has some bugs in waypoint management. Also, doesn't work on CIC. I think CIC doesn't like the encoding used by the app. Anyway, I'll get back into it.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:41 AM

TokenMaster,

I understand; regardless, this is quite useful
Thanks

BMW CCA
Old 11-04-2014, 01:10 PM

TokenMaster,
Just got done using it on a trip. Because I wanted to over ride suggested routings, I selected several way points, using Lead the Way; saved it to a thumb drive and loaded into iDrive.

Other than iDrive telling you each time you reach a way point (because thinks they're destinations ), worked flawlessly

Again, thanks!!!

BMW CCA
Old 11-05-2014, 12:43 AM
Token Master

I think there's a bug in Navigation software. I refuse to acknowledge it as a feature. If you add a waypoint (stop not required), you'll see this in your itinerary with a flag icon and small arrow pointing to the right. If you accept this destination, NBT ignores all these waypoints and proceed to map its own route from start to destination.

You can add each of this waypoint as hard stop, by going through each one, but really, it shouldn't be a hard stop.

I'm sure you already found out that as you are nearing or passing each waypoint, you can skip it and proceed to the next waypoint, but that's like 3 clicks too many.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:57 PM

TokenMaster,

Actually, all I did was save the file with it's waypoints and put on a flash drive. I then imported the trips into Nav system. Yesterday morning, all I did was go to the trip and go to first way point and had it it navigate. The only inconvenience is that the Nav system announced each way point as a destination (and the big dot shows up in HUD), but, I think, because I put the way points on key items (like exit ramps), it continued on the route to the next point.

BTW, I saw what you mean about waypoint management on return trip, for which I used a different route. As I plotted it out in Lead the Way!, I had to move one of the way points; well, unbeknownst to me, it caused my route to circle around -- but no problem because I was familiar enough with the interchange to work through it and then just naviagted to next waypoint.

Regardless, this program is great!!

BMW CCA
Old 11-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Token Master

can't wait to get back to this and fixing issue with CIC
Old 11-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Token Master

BMW Lead the Way! V1.1.3

V1.1.3 now fully supports both CIC and NBT. OP updated with video and download link.

Thanks to Frogman for testing CIC.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenMaster View Post
V1.1.3 now fully supports both CIC and NBT. OP updated with video and download link.

Thanks to Frogman for testing CIC.
Wow, what fantastic tool, and now for CIC!

Definitely a 5 banana salute!

Old 11-24-2014, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
Worth six. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 AM
Token Master

Old 11-25-2014, 05:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sbc55
Mein Auto: F10
Thanks...working great in asia
Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 AM

TokenMaster,

It was great from the get go; but now, as my son used to say, It's more better!!

Thank you very much for your continued contribution to making it a real fun ride with my BMW!!

BMW CCA
Old 11-25-2014, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)
This tool would have been super useful when i was doing the European Delivery in Sept 2013. As easy to use the BMW Navigation system is, it's still a major pain in the behind to force it to go a certain route. I am going to post a link to this in the European Delivery forum. I think this will make many people there who are planning their European Delivery trips very happy.

Just to confirm. After the route has been loaded from the thumb drive, it no longer has to be plugged in? The reason why i asked: For European Delivery, BMWs equipped with navigation are given a thumbdrive loaded with European maps. This thumb drive must be plugged at all time in order to use the navigation system in Europe.

"If you have to put your local license plate over your European Delivery plate (or worse, EU plate purchased over the internet with mismatched numbers), you are trying too hard."
Old 11-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Token Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc55 View Post
Thanks...working great in asia
Cool. NBT or CIC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnic View Post
TokenMaster,

It was great from the get go; but now, as my son used to say, It's more better!!

Thank you very much for your continued contribution to making it a real fun ride with my BMW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post
This tool would have been super useful when i was doing the European Delivery in Sept 2013. As easy to use the BMW Navigation system is, it's still a major pain in the behind to force it to go a certain route. I am going to post a link to this in the European Delivery forum. I think this will make many people there who are planning their European Delivery trips very happy.

Just to confirm. After the route has been loaded from the thumb drive, it no longer has to be plugged in? The reason why i asked: For European Delivery, BMWs equipped with navigation are given a thumbdrive loaded with European maps. This thumb drive must be plugged at all time in order to use the navigation system in Europe.
Once the trip is imported, it is saved to the HDD and you can recall it anytime, and change the waypoints as you reqiure. However, I think importing trips is not enabled by default in the states. I could very well be wrong, but I had to code my NBT to enable this feature.

The routing engine leaves a lot to be desired of, regardless of the route preference chosen. There are quite a few route which just leaves me scratching my head. This tool helped some in my case. Also, it's easier to recall and use trips than it is to find addresses from both my contacts and last destinations.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenMaster View Post
Once the trip is imported, it is saved to the HDD and you can recall it anytime, and change the waypoints as you reqiure. However, I think importing trips is not enabled by default in the states. I could very well be wrong, but I had to code my NBT to enable this feature.
You're right. The import trip from USB feature does not come enabled by default here. I have to code to enable it.

"If you have to put your local license plate over your European Delivery plate (or worse, EU plate purchased over the internet with mismatched numbers), you are trying too hard."
Old 11-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: F15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post
You're right. The import trip from USB feature does not come enabled by default here. I have to code to enable it.

Which module should I code? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:37 AM

I also had to code to get it to work:
HU_NBT> HMI > NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT from nicht_aktiv to aktiv. You'll end up with another option under navigation > enter destination

BMW CCA
Old 11-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 40D M Sport
Absolutely Top Banana

Superb
Old 11-27-2014, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: F15
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnic View Post
I also had to code to get it to work:
HU_NBT> HMI > NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT from nicht_aktiv to aktiv. You'll end up with another option under navigation > enter destination
Old 11-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Token Master

It may be my I-Step but there are a couple of options in there that doesn't do anything yet, but could be very useful, if it is what I think it is. NAVI_DEST_IMPORT and NAVI_MYPOI_IMPORT. And for iCars, EV_IMPORT. Anyone got any of these working?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 328i
Hi TokenMaster

When I use the program it keeps discarding longitude. Do you think it's because I am in the southern hemisphere?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitchie View Post
Hi TokenMaster

When I use the program it keeps discarding longitude. Do you think it's because I am in the southern hemisphere?
I am having same issue as you can see in the picture. It shows Lattitute and Longitute correctly in the picture, but then does not store it in Waypoint setting (note Longitute is 0.000000000). Even if I try to edit it here, it doesn't save it. This make the program useless for my purpose. Any idea how to fix this?