Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2x3-series,1x5-series
F11 Voice control language change?

Hi all,

I've been looking for information on whether the language of the voice control can be changed on F11. Searching on this forum yielded no absolute results, thus I am asking. I have the Voice Control option on my car, and it is currently working fine in German, but I would prefer to have it in English.

Can this be changed with E-SYS? And if yes, can it be changed without a token?
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
I think you can FDL Code KOMBI => SPRACHE = us, but you would need a Token solution to do so.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 09-25-2014, 02:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 F11 528i M-sport
In my F11 the voice control language changes with the chosen language in the settings menu. I bought my car in Germany and all I did was change the language to Dutch in the settings menu. I can communicate in Dutch with my car..:-)

I never had to code this.

Greetings from Holland,

Carlo
Old 09-25-2014, 05:54 AM

Thanks, Carlo and Shawn. I guess I will need to look through all the settings once more to check if the language won't change... Then purchase a token if nothing else helps.

I also bought my car in Germany. It's interesting that someone from Holland would also buy from Germany, as I have previously had the understanding that the cars would be even cheaper in Belgium & Netherlands? At least they seem to import some to Germany and sell to us Eastern-Europeans from there.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:20 AM

I played around with this a little bit more today. I tried changing the language via iDrive -> menu -> settings -> language. Only thing that does change is the display language. I tried Swedish, Polish, German and English, and after each change clicked the voice control button on the steering wheel and tried to say something. Each and every time the voice response from car was in German.

I think it is strange that the settings over iDrive would change the voice control language for some, and not for me. Could it be due to the fact that my car has CIC MID (Navigation Business), and the others would be with CIC HIGH? Or is there some difference between different MYs? Mine is a 2011.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 AM

And what happens when you code KOMBI => SPRACHE?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 09-26-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
And what happens when you code KOMBI => SPRACHE?
I have not been able to check that yet, as I just today had the chance to try via iDrive once more, thus did not buy the Token yet. Just started asking for the price of the token from sellers...
Old 09-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530d xDrive -12
Yes it could be because of the business navi, I think that it has only basic voice recognition for telephone calls. If I remember correctly, you can change language by coding combox.

edit. Yes, it is SPRACHE in CMB_MEDIA, change it to english. There is also SVS_EIN_AUS, if it is aktiv, then you have basic voice recognition. You can also do it by VO-coding, change SALAPA 851 (german) to 853 (english) and VO-code CMB_MEDIA.

Last edited by ap90500; 09-26-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I think you can FDL Code KOMBI => SPRACHE = us, but you would need a Token solution to do so.
If ECE F1x is coded to US English language variant, integrated user manual on CIC will not work in English. Maybe it could be fixed by altering FA and flash/ibadeploy but I don't think it is worth trying.

Last edited by ap90500; 09-26-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:36 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:

car diagnostic tool shop: www.obd2works.com
Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap90500 View Post
Yes it could be because of the business navi, I think that it has only basic voice recognition for telephone calls. If I remember correctly, you can change language by coding combox.

edit. Yes, it is SPRACHE in CMB_MEDIA, change it to english. There is also SVS_EIN_AUS, if it is aktiv, then you have basic voice recognition. You can also do it by VO-coding, change SALAPA 851 (german) to 853 (english) and VO-code CMB_MEDIA.
Cheers! I played around with the voice recognition in German a bit more today, and determined that as you mention, this one is just for controlling the telephone. It's weird, I didn't even know there was such a "poor man's" version of the voice recognition available. Anyway, I guess it's better than nothing so I'll try and code it. Looks like I will need to research a bit more to be able to "translate to newbie" the instructions you gave me, so I will be able to try it some time next week. At this point it's all somewhat cryptic to me as I haven't had the chance to play around with it for anything else than the map update I did, and that didn't involve changing any codings. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:11 PM

Just learn tutorials about FDL and VO coding, then you will understand what I wrote.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:53 AM

I'm a bit confused now. I read the tutorials and it seems somewhat straightforward. Anyway, as I try to "Edit FDL" from the CAFD as per the instructions, I get an error message "No EST file chosen".

That error seems to refer to the soft token. Somebody told me that I do not need a token for VO coding. I even tried those that tokenmaster specifically states are codings that require no token, but I still get this same error message. What is the (probably very simple) thing that I have overlooked?
Old 09-28-2014, 04:57 AM

If you are editing FDL, then you are FDL Coding and not VO Coding:

VO Coding:

DEFINED: VO = Vehicle Order

CONCEPT: VO Code = Coding of all FDL's (100% of the ECU) to predetermined settings based on the Vehicle Order.

PROCESS: Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

You can VO Code using your factory FA, or modified FA as detailed here:

E-Sys - How to change FA in F-series car.pdf:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...6&d=1338725691

FDL Coding:

DEFINED: FDL = Function Data Line

CONCEPT: FDL Code = Coding of individual FDL's in an ECU, overriding the VO Coding.

PROCESS: Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on the ECU CAFD and select Read Coding Data => Expand the CAFD Folder by clicking + symbol => Right-Click on the CAFD file and select Edit => Edit CAFD as desired => Click the Blue Floppy Disc Icon to Save CAFD => Click the green back arrow icon => Right-Click on the CAFD file => Select FDL CODE.

To "Edit CAFD as desired" most cases involves changing an FDL's value using a dropdown box of predefined values as detailed here:

E-Sys - Getting Started Coding.pdf:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...4&d=1338725691

In some FDL Coding instances though, the dropdown box of predefined values does not provide you with the choice you want, in which case you must change the Werte Value directly as detailed here:

E-Sys - How to Change Werte Values.pdf:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1338725691

Old 09-28-2014, 07:58 AM

That clarifies it quite a bit. Thanks for your patience and efforts, Shawn. I admire your willingness to help people with such comprehensive and detailed responses.

Have I now understood correctly, that I can reach the same result with FA-coding as I could with FDL, but it is just a bit more of an inconvenience as it requires all of the ECU to be coded in order to commit one change that I could do quite simply with FDL coding?
Old 09-28-2014, 08:12 AM

No, you are still not understanding it correctly. You can FDL Code everything so long as you know the FDL Codes to change, but you cannot VO Code everything.

FA Coding is simpler as doing so automatically codes 100% of the ECU for you. Rather than having to go and manually change multiple individual FDL's that may be required to enable a function, adding one option code to FA and selecting "Code" will automatically make all the individual FDL's changes for you.

FA Options Codes are limited, and the vast majority of what you will likely want to code must be FDL Coded. There is no FA Option Code for Fold Mirrors, Video-In-Motion, etc., so these things must be FDL Coded.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:22 AM

Oh, ok, I think I finally understand how it works. So, FA editing edits the original options list, which can be either read from the car, or you can load a modified FA list into the E-sys tool. This, then is used to code all ECUs respectively, in order for all of the options of the FA / VO-list to be functional. Thus, custom stuff that would not be available from factory (individual FDL-codes for VIM etc) is always overwritten when the FA is written to the car and car coded with that.

This instructions document you linked:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...6&d=1338725691

Only depicts the process so that you accomplish VO coding via storing the modified FA list to your car, and I understood this is not advisable for multitude of reasons, one being that with E-Sys 3.24.3 you get some error codes when updating VCM & MSM.

Whilst googling for more information, I read this post of yours:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=511

And that leads me to believe that once I just load my modified FA in E-Sys (I just changed SALAPA 851 to 853 and added HO-Wort OMSA to my original FA-list), I Could then just code individual ECUs that need to be coded, on the basis of this modified FA-list, and then be done with it, without storing my modified FA-list to the car.

I guess I'll need to read a bit more about it and then go try it out. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2014, 11:28 AM

Whether you write FA to car or not, is a choice, and I would not say it is always inadvisable. In fact, in instances where an FSC Code has been added, you absolutely should write modified FA to car, else FSC Code will be cancelled by ISTA/P during dealer programming.

Also, you can simply uncheck the Update VCM and Update MSM options in E-Sys to avoid the errors during coding.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Whether you write FA to car or not, is a choice, and I would not say it is always inadvisable. In fact, in instances where an FSC Code has been added, you absolutely should write modified FA to car, else FSC Code will be cancelled by ISTA/P during dealer programming.

Also, you can simply uncheck the Update VCM and Update MSM options in E-Sys to avoid the errors during coding.
OK, thanks once again. I think I will keep the original FA in the car, as neither of the changes I will be putting there, is of essential nature in any shape, plus they would be easily changed again if it was programmed by dealer. This, in this case, is very unlikely for this car, as I own it privately and it is out of warranty already. So, all of the stuff that I won't be doing for it myself, I will be utilising an independent mechanic for it. Hoping there won't be anything so major that it cannot be worked out with these resources, without visiting the palace of the almighty official dealer.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:01 AM

SUCCESS!

The language is now changed, and the voice control works in English, as intended. BIG thanks to ap90500 for providing the insight on what exactly needs to be changed, and another BIG thanks to ShawnSheridan, for offering his vast knowledge to help a newbie in the process of coding.

So, for future reference, this is what I did:
-Read the car's original FA and saved it to a safe place. Made a copy for editing.
-Did the following thanges to the FA:
*Changed SALAPA 851 to 853 (language version German to English)
*Added HO-wort OMSA
-Saved the modified FA with a filename that shows these modifications
-Loaded the modified FA
-Right-clicked and activated the modified FA
-Did the right-click and "code ECU" for the following modules:
*CMB_MEDIA
*FRM
*CAS
*JBBF

However, the auto start-stop wasn't disabled. So, in terms of my coding efforts altogether, this was only a partial success, but for the original scope of this topic it was full success.

Tokenmaster's blog post on vo-coding to disable ASS instructs to add HO-Wort OMSA, and code FEM_BODY module. As my car doesn't have one, I researched and found Shawn's post elsewhere, where he stated that F1x does not have that module, and those functions are carried by the modules FRM, CAS and JBBF.

Googling as I might, and using the search function here, I cannot find more details on how to disable ASS with VO-coding on F1x. Is there perhaps some further modules to code once the HO-wort OMSA has been added, or what could I be doing wrong? Has anybody successfully disabled ASS via VO-coding on an F11?

EDIT:
I looked at the SALAPA-list again in FA editor, and it states in the vehicle profile, under [9]Option_car that there is a [466] 1CC_AUTOMATIC_START_STOP_FUNCTION. Should this option also be deleted from VO, or is the OMSA supposed to override this option somehow?

Last edited by Bemmiporo; 09-29-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:09 AM

I have used OMSA quite many times. It doesn't disable ASS, it activates memory function so ASS remembers last selected position. CAS is correct module to code this on F1x.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
I have used OMSA quite many times. It doesn't disable ASS, it activates memory function so ASS remembers last selected position. CAS is correct module to code this on F1x.
OK, either way would be fine for me, as long I don't need to remember to press a button each time.

I did try it so that I turned off the engine, and locked the doors, and got back in and started the car, but the ASS was back on. Should it have worked right away like this, or is there supposed to be some kind of a delay before this change "takes"?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemmiporo View Post
OK, either way would be fine for me, as long I don't need to remember to press a button each time.

I did try it so that I turned off the engine, and locked the doors, and got back in and started the car, but the ASS was back on. Should it have worked right away like this, or is there supposed to be some kind of a delay before this change "takes"?
It should work immediately. Turn on engine, turn off ASS, turn off engine, turn on engine and ASS should stay off. If you use eco pro, ASS will turn back on. If car has been coded so that it starts on eco pro mode, then the memory function will not work.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
It should work immediately. Turn on engine, turn off ASS, turn off engine, turn on engine and ASS should stay off. If you use eco pro, ASS will turn back on. If car has been coded so that it starts on eco pro mode, then the memory function will not work.
OK, I guess I will need to try and code CAS again and see if it starts to work like that; that is the way I tried previously. I am not familiar with eco pro, but IIRC that only came for MY2012, and my car was built in the spring of 2011, so I believe it doesn't have that.