Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 AM
xxjamesxx xxjamesxx is offline
Registered User
Location: green bay
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 1994 bmw 530i
changed waterpump/engine wont start

Okkay. I have a 1994 bmw 530i and about 2 months ago the waterpump went out, so the car just sat there tell about yesterday, when I got a new waterpump, I replaced it with a brand new one, and it would not start, it sounds like it wants to start but Doesn't turn over, the starter and fuel pump are working. I. Was told that I might have to reset the engine. But idk.. anybody have any ideal. O and when the waterpump went out it still started....
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Monsignor's Avatar
Monsignor Monsignor is offline
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
Location: Pineapple Under the Sea
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjamesxx View Post
Okkay. I have a 1994 bmw 530i and about 2 months ago the waterpump went out, so the car just sat there tell about yesterday, when I got a new waterpump, I replaced it with a brand new one, and it would not start, it sounds like it wants to start but Doesn't turn over, the starter and fuel pump are working. I. Was told that I might have to reset the engine. But idk.. anybody have any ideal. O and when the waterpump went out it still started....
Reset the engine?! i'd love to know what that means but to me it sounds like its cranking but not firing. This is exactly what happens when the crankshaft position sensor is failed, improperly installed, or not installed at all. double check the CPS to make sure it is installed, if so, check the resistance on it.

And are you sure about the Fuel pump? when you turn the key to accessories, you should hear a light humming coming from the right side of your trunk. if not, check the FP relay as that is where my No-start issue was... Good luck

EDIT: also i see this is your first post. Welcome to the B'fest E34 crew! the happiest forum on the planet
__________________


1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34

Last edited by Monsignor; 06-01-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 AM
1995i540's Avatar
1995i540 1995i540 is offline
Founder @ Maintenr
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 717
Mein Auto: 1995 540I/6
Depleted battery or no gas.
__________________


///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts


Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 PM
xxjamesxx xxjamesxx is offline
Registered User
Location: green bay
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 1994 bmw 530i
I have gas and the I had the battery hooked up to the battery charger.. umm and how do I check the resistant on the crankshaft sensor? And thanx 95 e34
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Monsignor's Avatar
Monsignor Monsignor is offline
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
Location: Pineapple Under the Sea
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
with a multimeter. download a bentley manual for the car. it will tell you how to check the CPS. Although, the voltage in the bentley is a typo, it should be 540 OHM not the 1140+ in the manual...

Find the CPS, its on the front of the car, under the radiator hose on the passenger side pointing down at the harmonic balancer. The wire to it runs from under the intake manifold, along the front near the VANOS and down to the sensor. Unplug at the connection under the intake manifold and thats where you'll check it.
__________________


1995 525iA 250k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi
2014 F-150 0k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-01-2012, 04:03 PM
xxjamesxx xxjamesxx is offline
Registered User
Location: green bay
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 1994 bmw 530i
Allright thanks..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 PM
luckydog's Avatar
luckydog luckydog is offline
Lucky to drive a BMW
Location: Ca
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,356
Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
I think that enough /dirt grease can lodge under the cps to disrupt the pulse of the sensor. Also check that the wire is not damaged. Another idea is possiable that car is flooded.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-01-2012, 11:53 PM
xxjamesxx xxjamesxx is offline
Registered User
Location: green bay
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 1994 bmw 530i
The car was flooded after a few trys, I took the plugs out and cleaned them off. Then let it sat for a couple hrs. And then tryed.. but im jus goin to see. If theres somethng under the cps
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 AM
1995i540's Avatar
1995i540 1995i540 is offline
Founder @ Maintenr
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 717
Mein Auto: 1995 540I/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
I think that enough /dirt grease can lodge under the cps to disrupt the pulse of the sensor. Also check that the wire is not damaged. Another idea is possiable that car is flooded.
Doubt it, there is 0.02mm clearance that would not affect magnetic reader. Just test Ohm and move on.

Try starting the car without MAF, and do fuel DELIVERY and pressure holding test.
__________________


///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts


Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.

Last edited by 1995i540; 06-02-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2012, 11:54 AM
luckydog's Avatar
luckydog luckydog is offline
Lucky to drive a BMW
Location: Ca
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,356
Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995i540 View Post
Doubt it, there is 0.02mm clearance that would not affect magnetic reader. Just test Ohm and move on.

Try starting the car without MAF, and do fuel DELIVERY and pressure holding test.
Oh well mine after removing it was caked at the face of the sensor.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 AM
luckydog's Avatar
luckydog luckydog is offline
Lucky to drive a BMW
Location: Ca
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,356
Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjamesxx View Post
The car was flooded after a few trys, I took the plugs out and cleaned them off. Then let it sat for a couple hrs. And then tryed.. but im jus goin to see. If theres somethng under the cps
Oh excellent nothing serious .You may be in line for a fuel filter soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	327604  

Last edited by luckydog; 06-02-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 PM
1995i540's Avatar
1995i540 1995i540 is offline
Founder @ Maintenr
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 717
Mein Auto: 1995 540I/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
Oh well mine after removing it was caked at the face of the sensor.
Mine too they get really dirty
__________________


///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts


Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
xxjamesxx xxjamesxx is offline
Registered User
Location: green bay
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 1994 bmw 530i
Does the crank shaft need to lined up correctly with the crank shaft sensor? If so I believe thats my problem, and what would I need to do?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36 PM
paperplane94 paperplane94 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 933
Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjamesxx View Post
Does the crank shaft need to lined up correctly with the crank shaft sensor? If so I believe thats my problem, and what would I need to do?
Don't worry about that. As long as its tightly fastened to its bracket.

How is the resistance?




From the bentley, but the information is WRONG.
M50/M60 engines should also have a 540 +- 10% ohm reading.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 AM
xxjamesxx xxjamesxx is offline
Registered User
Location: green bay
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 1994 bmw 530i
I changed my crankshaft sensor and still wont start.. iz there any way to figure out why it wont start?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 AM
paperplane94 paperplane94 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 933
Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
Gotta run through these:
THE DEFINITIVE "NO START" trouble-shoot instructions - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 AM
_Ethrty-Andy_'s Avatar
_Ethrty-Andy_ _Ethrty-Andy_ is offline
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic
Location: Humble New Zealand
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,140
Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post

EDIT: also i see this is your first post. Welcome to the B'fest E34 crew! the happiest forum on the planet
thats bold haha
__________________

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM
TemporarySanity's Avatar
TemporarySanity TemporarySanity is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Linden,MI
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,561
Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
It's not getting ignition if it floods with fuel so the timing could be off. The CPS controls timing but you say you changed it so pull a plug and see if there is spark.
__________________

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 AM
BMWFatherFigure's Avatar
BMWFatherFigure BMWFatherFigure is offline
Old School
Location: Perth, Western Australia
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,614
Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
If you are getting a spark and fuel either the CPS is in the wrong place (same casting used on various models so two mounting points), or plug leads are on wrong plugs or wires on wromg injectors. We've all made these mistakes....once.....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM
ThoreauHD ThoreauHD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 683
Mein Auto: 02/1994 530i 8cylinder
Why have none of you laid off rocket scientists told him to check the fking error codes? Do a stomp test first. Stop flinging feces at a wall like howler monkeys. He's going to go broke before he fixes the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Josh429er Josh429er is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saukville, Wi
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 233
Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoreauHD View Post
Why have none of you laid off rocket scientists told him to check the fking error codes? Do a stomp test first. Stop flinging feces at a wall like howler monkeys. He's going to go broke before he fixes the problem.
That's hilarious, but it probably doesn't have a code. The car hasn't ran at all to know theres an issue. Your advise is as pointless as the ideas you complained about.
__________________
2003 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD CC/SB
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Josh429er Josh429er is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saukville, Wi
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 233
Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
I didn't think it would be a fuel pump. Not saying I know the issue, because i don't. Now when it runs does it miss, does it run crappy, or like a champ? When it dies is like it run worse and worse until it dies, you know gradually die quickly if that makes sense, or does it just die, like BAM It's dead, like you turned the key off. You have to be very specific and detail oriented if you wanna figure it out.

Have you checked plugs after it dies? Are they wet?

Can you prime the fuel system?(hear the pump running on key on accesory)

What's the batteries voltage?
__________________
2003 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD CC/SB
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-30-2012, 01:50 PM
frankies525 frankies525 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: pennsylvaina
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 104
Mein Auto: 1995 525i
battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 E34 View Post
Reset the engine?! i'd love to know what that means but to me it sounds like its cranking but not firing. This is exactly what happens when the crankshaft position sensor is failed, improperly installed, or not installed at all. double check the CPS to make sure it is installed, if so, check the resistance on it.

And are you sure about the Fuel pump? when you turn the key to accessories, you should hear a light humming coming from the right side of your trunk. if not, check the FP relay as that is where my No-start issue was... Good luck

EDIT: also i see this is your first post. Welcome to the B'fest E34 crew! the happiest forum on the planet
disconnect battery
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Big-t34 Big-t34 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: E34 525i 95'
How bout u change the crank sensor?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM
robertobaggio20 robertobaggio20 is offline
Banned
Location: earth
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: car
Fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel pump fuse, crank sensor...these are the likely suspects.

There's also the dme relay, starter, dme, battery.

Methinks the OP is not motivated to get his car on the road...taking too long to get things fixed, such as 2 months for a water pump, and 3 months for a no start issue....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms