Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 AM
DrPartyPanties DrPartyPanties is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: BMW F30
Am I going to regret this?

I'm a first time BMW owner and am very excited about this car.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a new 328i, AW, M-Sport, Tech, Leather, but opted for no sunroof. The reasons: I haven't really used it in over 25 years having found that they're noisy and I'm not one for "the wind in my hair" and I didn't want to spend money on something I'm not going to use. It's in production right now, so I can't change it. That said, I'm more concerned with aesthetics. I don't want it to look like a cheap car!

Anyone out there wish they didn't have one? Anyone regret not getting one that had my same reasons as me? What do you all think of my decision? You can be honest, you won't hurt my feelings!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpartypanties View Post
i'm a first time bmw owner and am very excited about this car.

A couple of weeks ago i ordered a new 328i, aw, m-sport, tech, leather, but opted for no sunroof. The reasons: I haven't really used it in over 25 years having found that they're noisy and i'm not one for "the wind in my hair" and i didn't want to spend money on something i'm not going to use. It's in production right now, so i can't change it. That said, i'm more concerned with aesthetics. I don't want it to look like a cheap car!

Anyone out there wish they didn't have one? Anyone regret not getting one that had my same reasons as me? What do you all think of my decision? You can be honest, you won't hurt my feelings!

bj?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM
DrPartyPanties DrPartyPanties is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: BMW F30
no. The Bear.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM
tmehanna tmehanna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 206
Mein Auto: '12 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPartyPanties View Post
I'm a first time BMW owner and am very excited about this car.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a new 328i, AW, M-Sport, Tech, Leather, but opted for no sunroof. The reasons: I haven't really used it in over 25 years having found that they're noisy and I'm not one for "the wind in my hair" and I didn't want to spend money on something I'm not going to use. It's in production right now, so I can't change it. That said, I'm more concerned with aesthetics. I don't want it to look like a cheap car!

Anyone out there wish they didn't have one? Anyone regret not getting one that had my same reasons as me? What do you all think of my decision? You can be honest, you won't hurt my feelings!
While no sunroof will not make the car look "cheap" as the honor goes to small wheels and lack of chrome or similar accents IMHO, your decision will certainly affect your car's resale value in terms of desirability. Personally, I wouldn't buy any car without a sunroof as just opening the sunroof shade makes the car brighter and feel less claustrophobic, even at night. I've had one noisy sunroof in the past (out of 10 cars) but I am happy to report I don't hear any noise out of my F30's even at three figure speeds.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 AM
CE750Jockey's Avatar
CE750Jockey CE750Jockey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 425
Mein Auto: '13 328xi
I don't think it cheapens it, at all. It's your car. Who cares what others think. The only drawback is when it comes to resale. Most want it, so you'll limit your target audience somewhat. But, if it's a peach, it'll sell. Congrats. Pics when you get it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM
tmehanna tmehanna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 206
Mein Auto: '12 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
It's your car. Who cares what others think. The only drawback is when it comes to resale.
Obviously he does and I would You don't want your bimmer to look like low rent.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM
CE750Jockey's Avatar
CE750Jockey CE750Jockey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 425
Mein Auto: '13 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
Obviously he does and I would You don't want your bimmer to look like low rent.
Here we go again. What if someone went without the Xenons? Is that "low rent" in your book? Why do you care that someone else thinks YOUR car looks "low rent"? Especially if it's a lease and resale value isn't even a consideration.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Leslierc's Avatar
Leslierc Leslierc is online now
Sejanus
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland - USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,377
Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
As long as you're happy and getting what you want with the car is all that should matter.
__________________
2013 Porsche Carrera 4
2011 Panamera 4S; 2012 Mini CooperS convertible;
Prior BMWs: `05 645CiC; `07 650i; `08 M6 convertible; '08 135i; `11 750ix MSport

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:44 AM
tmehanna tmehanna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 206
Mein Auto: '12 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
Here we go again. What if someone went without the Xenons? Is that "low rent" in your book? Why do you care that someone else thinks YOUR car looks "low rent"? Especially if it's a lease and resale value isn't even a consideration.
Yes, no xenons are low rent in my book, is there a lower spec headlights Do you shop at K Mart? I'm only curious
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM
DrPartyPanties DrPartyPanties is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: BMW F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
Yes, no xenons are low rent in my book, is there a lower spec headlights Do you shop at K Mart? I'm only curious
I forgot to mention that I also got the lighting package. Does that help?!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 AM
tmehanna tmehanna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 206
Mein Auto: '12 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPartyPanties View Post
I forgot to mention that I also got the lighting package. Does that help?!
We're at Macy's now
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM
blonyskin blonyskin is offline
Registered User
Location: Meadville,PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Ordered mine back in January. No sunroof. I was so pleased you could get it without one. My wife and I have had one for years and never used them. Why didn't I want it?: When open the sun comes in and it is hard to see, add weight, less head room, they can break, they can rattle, reduces structural integrity and last but not least, they can, and do, leak. No sport sedan should have one. You made a wise decision!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM
tdd tdd is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 230
Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPartyPanties View Post
Anyone out there wish they didn't have one? Anyone regret not getting one that had my same reasons as me? What do you all think of my decision? You can be honest, you won't hurt my feelings!
Except for the convertible I have now, every car I've owned had a sunroof and I, like you, got to the point where I seldom ever opened it. However, whenever I get into a car that doesn't have a sunroof, it feels dark and somewhat cramped. I suppose that stems from being used to having light come in from the top, but I feel it. Just an observation.
__________________
'02 330CiC, electric red, sand leather, sp, pp, steptronic, bi-xenon

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Mojave Mojave is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: 2013 Mojave 328i xDrive
No sunroof is totally fine. Although I love them so much I once got one cut in, after market, into previous non bimmer car I owned. I actually don't use them as much as I'd like, but when I do, I remember how much I love it.

Thinking ahead to resale is all well and good, but you should enjoy what you drive now. Worry about the resale later...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Mojave Mojave is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: 2013 Mojave 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Except for the convertible I have now, every car I've owned had a sunroof and I, like you, got to the point where I seldom ever opened it. However, whenever I get into a car that doesn't have a sunroof, it feels dark and somewhat cramped. I suppose that stems from being used to having light come in from the top, but I feel it. Just an observation.
+1

I feel the same way for some reason as well...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Sharp_Cai Sharp_Cai is offline
Registered User
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 91
Mein Auto: G37S Coupe /13 BMW 335i M
My 2010 BMW 128i is a base model. No power seats, no auto dimming, and of course no Sunroof. I love the car and it still worth 20k after 3 years driving. The reason why I leased a base one is cuz it is my first bimmer, and my friends were keeping telling me their bad exp with BMW, but it turns out the car is great, never had any issues besides broken tailgate light. Ppl pick their pkgs for their own reasons, and you have yours! So be it!
__________________
2013 BMW 335i EBII M Sport / Premium / Tech / Sports Auto / PDC / BC / HK Audio / ----------on the PALMELA
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM
MML007 MML007 is offline
Registered User
Location: Somewhere on Earth
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_cai View Post
my 2010 bmw 128i is a base model. No power seats, no auto dimming, and of course no sunroof. I love the car and it still worth 20k after 3 years driving. The reason why i leased a base one is cuz it is my first bimmer, and my friends were keeping telling me their bad exp with bmw, but it turns out the car is great, never had any issues besides broken tailgate light. Ppl pick their pkgs for their own reasons, and you have yours! So be it!
+1
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-27-2012, 01:11 PM
elistan elistan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Longmont, CO
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 361
Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
I didn't order a sunroof for reasons similar to blonyskin's - extra weight up top, less headroom, one more thing that can break, and more cost. Plus, I have an S2000 and sportbike for top-down days.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,419
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
bj?
Doctor Party Panties? An Egyptian eliteist?

LOL. Give me some credit.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | Dynamic Handling Package | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Ash Grain | Park Assist | Adaptive M | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM
dzaborn dzaborn is offline
Registered User
Location: Jacksonville, FL
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
I didn't order a sunroof for reasons similar to blonyskin's - extra weight up top, less headroom, one more thing that can break, and more cost. Plus, I have an S2000 and sportbike for top-down days.
I have heard many people mention more headroom without a sunroof, but I don't get that? Because of the small trim that goes around the opening?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
While no sunroof will not make the car look "cheap" as the honor goes to small wheels and lack of chrome or similar accents IMHO, your decision will certainly affect your car's resale value in terms of desirability. Personally, I wouldn't buy any car without a sunroof as just opening the sunroof shade makes the car brighter and feel less claustrophobic, even at night. I've had one noisy sunroof in the past (out of 10 cars) but I am happy to report I don't hear any noise out of my F30's even at three figure speeds.

I feel a set o'19" chromed wheels a-comin' on....spinners?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM
DrPartyPanties DrPartyPanties is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: BMW F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I feel a set o'19" chromed wheels a-comin' on....spinners?
Great idea! Post a picture of yours so I know what's hip.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-27-2012, 04:13 PM
328i2013's Avatar
328i2013 328i2013 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Upstate NY
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 496
Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
While no sunroof will not make the car look "cheap" as the honor goes to small wheels and lack of chrome or similar accents IMHO, your decision will certainly affect your car's resale value in terms of desirability. Personally, I wouldn't buy any car without a sunroof as just opening the sunroof shade makes the car brighter and feel less claustrophobic, even at night. I've had one noisy sunroof in the past (out of 10 cars) but I am happy to report I don't hear any noise out of my F30's even at three figure speeds.
Chrome makes ur BMW look like a caddy dude. Nothing cool about it.
__________________

____________________________________
Next Ride: Boxster, Z4 or SLK?
Current Ride: 2013 328i MT
Previous Ride: 2007 Cooper S MT
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is online now
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,462
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPartyPanties View Post
I'm a first time BMW owner and am very excited about this car.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a new 328i, AW, M-Sport, Tech, Leather, but opted for no sunroof. The reasons: I haven't really used it in over 25 years having found that they're noisy and I'm not one for "the wind in my hair" and I didn't want to spend money on something I'm not going to use. It's in production right now, so I can't change it. That said, I'm more concerned with aesthetics. I don't want it to look like a cheap car!

Anyone out there wish they didn't have one? Anyone regret not getting one that had my same reasons as me? What do you all think of my decision? You can be honest, you won't hurt my feelings!
4th BMW. First without a moonroof. Do not miss it at all. Rarely used my last one as it's too damned hot most of the time to open it. Should I track this one it'll be nice to have the extra headroom/helmet-room my other BMWs lacked.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 PM
GVFlyer's Avatar
GVFlyer GVFlyer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 636
Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Sunroof delete is an option on the 335is. I kept mine. There are times when dropping the windows, opening up the roof and cranking up the stereo is just the right thing to do.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms