Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F30
Am I going to regret this?

I'm a first time BMW owner and am very excited about this car.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a new 328i, AW, M-Sport, Tech, Leather, but opted for no sunroof. The reasons: I haven't really used it in over 25 years having found that they're noisy and I'm not one for "the wind in my hair" and I didn't want to spend money on something I'm not going to use. It's in production right now, so I can't change it. That said, I'm more concerned with aesthetics. I don't want it to look like a cheap car!

Anyone out there wish they didn't have one? Anyone regret not getting one that had my same reasons as me? What do you all think of my decision? You can be honest, you won't hurt my feelings!
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpartypanties View Post
i'm a first time bmw owner and am very excited about this car.

A couple of weeks ago i ordered a new 328i, aw, m-sport, tech, leather, but opted for no sunroof. The reasons: I haven't really used it in over 25 years having found that they're noisy and i'm not one for "the wind in my hair" and i didn't want to spend money on something i'm not going to use. It's in production right now, so i can't change it. That said, i'm more concerned with aesthetics. I don't want it to look like a cheap car!

Anyone out there wish they didn't have one? Anyone regret not getting one that had my same reasons as me? What do you all think of my decision? You can be honest, you won't hurt my feelings!

bj?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM

no. The Bear.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: '12 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPartyPanties View Post

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a new 328i, AW, M-Sport, Tech, Leather, but opted for no sunroof. The reasons: I haven't really used it in over 25 years having found that they're noisy and I'm not one for "the wind in my hair" and I didn't want to spend money on something I'm not going to use. It's in production right now, so I can't change it. That said, I'm more concerned with aesthetics. I don't want it to look like a cheap car!

While no sunroof will not make the car look "cheap" as the honor goes to small wheels and lack of chrome or similar accents IMHO, your decision will certainly affect your car's resale value in terms of desirability. Personally, I wouldn't buy any car without a sunroof as just opening the sunroof shade makes the car brighter and feel less claustrophobic, even at night. I've had one noisy sunroof in the past (out of 10 cars) but I am happy to report I don't hear any noise out of my F30's even at three figure speeds.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
I don't think it cheapens it, at all. It's your car. Who cares what others think. The only drawback is when it comes to resale. Most want it, so you'll limit your target audience somewhat. But, if it's a peach, it'll sell. Congrats. Pics when you get it.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
It's your car. Who cares what others think. The only drawback is when it comes to resale.
Obviously he does and I would You don't want your bimmer to look like low rent.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
Obviously he does and I would You don't want your bimmer to look like low rent.
Here we go again. What if someone went without the Xenons? Is that "low rent" in your book? Why do you care that someone else thinks YOUR car looks "low rent"? Especially if it's a lease and resale value isn't even a consideration.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
As long as you're happy and getting what you want with the car is all that should matter.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 09-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
Here we go again. What if someone went without the Xenons? Is that "low rent" in your book? Why do you care that someone else thinks YOUR car looks "low rent"? Especially if it's a lease and resale value isn't even a consideration.
Yes, no xenons are low rent in my book, is there a lower spec headlights Do you shop at K Mart? I'm only curious
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, no xenons are low rent in my book, is there a lower spec headlights Do you shop at K Mart? I'm only curious
I forgot to mention that I also got the lighting package. Does that help?!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I also got the lighting package. Does that help?!
We're at Macy's now
Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Ordered mine back in January. No sunroof. I was so pleased you could get it without one. My wife and I have had one for years and never used them. Why didn't I want it?: When open the sun comes in and it is hard to see, add weight, less head room, they can break, they can rattle, reduces structural integrity and last but not least, they can, and do, leak. No sport sedan should have one. You made a wise decision!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
Quote:
Except for the convertible I have now, every car I've owned had a sunroof and I, like you, got to the point where I seldom ever opened it. However, whenever I get into a car that doesn't have a sunroof, it feels dark and somewhat cramped. I suppose that stems from being used to having light come in from the top, but I feel it. Just an observation.

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Mojave 328i xDrive
No sunroof is totally fine. Although I love them so much I once got one cut in, after market, into previous non bimmer car I owned. I actually don't use them as much as I'd like, but when I do, I remember how much I love it.

Thinking ahead to resale is all well and good, but you should enjoy what you drive now. Worry about the resale later...
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Mojave 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Except for the convertible I have now, every car I've owned had a sunroof and I, like you, got to the point where I seldom ever opened it. However, whenever I get into a car that doesn't have a sunroof, it feels dark and somewhat cramped. I suppose that stems from being used to having light come in from the top, but I feel it. Just an observation.
+1

I feel the same way for some reason as well...
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: G37S Coupe /13 BMW 335i M
My 2010 BMW 128i is a base model. No power seats, no auto dimming, and of course no Sunroof. I love the car and it still worth 20k after 3 years driving. The reason why I leased a base one is cuz it is my first bimmer, and my friends were keeping telling me their bad exp with BMW, but it turns out the car is great, never had any issues besides broken tailgate light. Ppl pick their pkgs for their own reasons, and you have yours! So be it!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_cai View Post
my 2010 bmw 128i is a base model. No power seats, no auto dimming, and of course no sunroof. I love the car and it still worth 20k after 3 years driving. The reason why i leased a base one is cuz it is my first bimmer, and my friends were keeping telling me their bad exp with bmw, but it turns out the car is great, never had any issues besides broken tailgate light. Ppl pick their pkgs for their own reasons, and you have yours! So be it!
+1
Old 09-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
I didn't order a sunroof for reasons similar to blonyskin's - extra weight up top, less headroom, one more thing that can break, and more cost. Plus, I have an S2000 and sportbike for top-down days.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
bj?
Doctor Party Panties? An Egyptian eliteist?

LOL. Give me some credit.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | Dynamic Handling Package | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Ash Grain | Park Assist | Adaptive M | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
I didn't order a sunroof for reasons similar to blonyskin's - extra weight up top, less headroom, one more thing that can break, and more cost. Plus, I have an S2000 and sportbike for top-down days.
I have heard many people mention more headroom without a sunroof, but I don't get that? Because of the small trim that goes around the opening?
Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
While no sunroof will not make the car look "cheap" as the honor goes to small wheels and lack of chrome or similar accents IMHO, your decision will certainly affect your car's resale value in terms of desirability. Personally, I wouldn't buy any car without a sunroof as just opening the sunroof shade makes the car brighter and feel less claustrophobic, even at night. I've had one noisy sunroof in the past (out of 10 cars) but I am happy to report I don't hear any noise out of my F30's even at three figure speeds.

I feel a set o'19" chromed wheels a-comin' on....spinners?
Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I feel a set o'19" chromed wheels a-comin' on....spinners?
Great idea! Post a picture of yours so I know what's hip.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Quote:
Chrome makes ur BMW look like a caddy dude. Nothing cool about it.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:

4th BMW. First without a moonroof. Do not miss it at all. Rarely used my last one as it's too damned hot most of the time to open it. Should I track this one it'll be nice to have the extra headroom/helmet-room my other BMWs lacked.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Sunroof delete is an option on the 335is. I kept mine. There are times when dropping the windows, opening up the roof and cranking up the stereo is just the right thing to do.