Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: Subaru
ARGH (or frustrating dealer experience) and I hate it when I'm an idiot!

I really have to get that "Sucker" tattoo removed from my forehead!

Seriously, I was placing an order for my 2012 X535d w a lot of options and the salesman at the dealership (Northwest BMW in Fife, WA) told me that BMW is no longer allowing orders of X5s in vermillion red and has as of 1-2 weeks ago run out of adaptive drive units for the 35d. So he pushed me into special ordering a car and wouldn't let me order what I wanted, despite the fact that it's available? Not only does that not make sense, but it's stupid, because I'm going to tell my friends who are now either going to not get BMWs or going to get their next BMWs elsewhere.

I'm a USAA customer, and I put in the info to get the USAA discount (which allows you to be spammed by autodealers, but whatever, it's worth the $7500 off the price), and the USAA representative said to me, "No, those options are still available, lets get you in touch with another dealer". So, now that I've placed the order (and $1000 down) I have to go back and either succeed in strong-arming the original dealership into giving me what I wanted (which being pushed into something that I didn't want on a special order car or loose the $1000 on the order in order to get what I want.

I have to say, I thought I'd listened to the good advice I got here (thanks for the good advice everybody!!!) and somehow, in the heat of the moment, I believed the dealer, when I should have walked out and said, "I thought I was going to be able to get vermillion red X5 35d with 2VA, ZPP, ZPS, ZTP, etc. Now I'm going to have to think about it since I couldn't get what I had my heart set on." I hate it when I'm an idiot.

I learn one expensive and irritating lesson a year, I'm guessing this is the one for 2012?
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5M 50d
You can get out of that deal, just confront the dealer that the salesperson lied to you. I have had that where they said I could not have an option only to find out I could, the dealer ordered another car as I would not accept one without the option.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
your deposit is almost CERTAINLY refundable. Rarely are then non-refundale, the document would say so.

WHat week production did they give you?? You might be able to change it.

GL

A
Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 PM

Thanks Ard. Previous Dealer said it was non-refundable. Now competing.winning dealer says that by state law, it has to be refundable until I get the car or something. The car was apparently already in production for someone else and they sidelined it for me. So, they were anticipating it would be done soon... they didn't specify a production week.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyD View Post
Thanks Ard. Previous Dealer said it was non-refundable. Now competing.winning dealer says that by state law, it has to be refundable until I get the car or something. The car was apparently already in production for someone else and they sidelined it for me. So, they were anticipating it would be done soon... they didn't specify a production week.
real bunch of lying scumbags...

did you give them a credit cad for the deposit? Just chargeback with the cc company. dont bother waiting for them to send a check.

Edit- never ASK a salesman ANYTHING*...between ignorance and lying to move you around, it is just too much effort to decide what is true.... No doubt they would SAY it is non refundable, they want you to go forward! There is zero reason for them to be truthful at this point....

PS *except sponsors here...

Last edited by ard; 09-19-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
So that's why they said some options were not available. The order they had in production was probably too late to make changes. They essentially were trying to sell you a car on the lot that you had to wait for.

Move on for sure.

Jay
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: on order: 228i
I would call up BMW NA customer relations and ask for their opinion.

I have a feeling dealers try to talk most people into custom ordering "mainstream" configurations that are easy to sell - in case the customer backs out of the deal. The way BMW works, cars get paid for the moment they are ordered. So if you walk away, the dealer will be stuck with the car.
I figure they sensed that you might be one of those people who is likely to walk away. They wanted to ensure they will be stuck with a car that is easy to move. A red diesel with AD is definitely not an easy one to move off the lot.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
OP, your deposit is absolutely refundable. If the dealer says otherwise, ask them to show you a document that you signed and that says the deposit is not refundable.
2012 X5 35d
2010 X5 35d
2006 330i
Old 09-21-2012, 06:28 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
There ARE situations where a deposit can be non-refundable. Typically this happens if you order Priority One options, a bizarre color combination (think green exterior with red interior) or some really strange combination of options the dealer will have difficulty finding a buyer for if you bail. (E.g. vinyl seats, HUD but no NAV.)

As Ard noted, the contract you signed will specify whether or not the deposit is refundable. So the important question for the OP is: What does your contract say?

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K
2015 X1 28i xDrive Alpine / Black, xLine, ZCW and Ultimate

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 09-21-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:32 PM

Thank you very much everybody for all of the advice/moral support!

The vermillion red/oyster X5 35d with Premium, Tech, cold weather, spare tire, lane departure, etc. is now ordered (and in production), the other one (the X5 35d that "doesn't come in vermillion red or with adaptive drive") is now cancelled, and my deposit has been refunded to my card.

The "you can't have that" salesman's reply? "I was only giving you the information I had at the time." I was nice, I said, "I am not accusing you of malicious intent, I just had to go with the dealership that could get me exactly the car I wanted."

I wonder if he'll learn a lesson out of this.. People are much less likely to back out of a deal if you get them exactly what they want than if you try to push them into either what you want or what you think you could sell if they back out!

Thanks again,
Katy
Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: on order: 228i
Dealers should have learned by now that once a customers smells something ain't right they will just move on to another dealership.
I've had a similar experience where -tbh from the minute I walked in the door- I felt that the sales rep was dishonest. I never talked to him again.
The place I the bought my car from was upfront and transparent from the beginning. They ended up getting my business and I was happy. Simple as that.
(Actually I find it strange that BMW -being a premium brand- doesn't police their dealerships harder.)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: '09 Cayenne "S"
I suspect that if the dealership brings in a strong sales record and is a consistant profit maker for BMW there is less interest in "policing them better". Just my opinion, but with a number of BMW stores within a few miles of each other here in the Bay Area it is easy to "walk" if you feel that something might not be as it is presented. Katy was lucky she had the ability to "walk" and find a BMW store that would work with her request. BTW Quack I love a green car with a red leather interior!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsX5 View Post
(Actually I find it strange that BMW -being a premium brand- doesn't police their dealerships harder.)
Actually this is quite a challenge for BMW.

You have to remember that BMW began with humble beginnings being this funky german company with wierd cars... finding dealers wasnt that easy.

As a result the retail dealer netweork has grown out of a historical setting in which BMW couldnt dictate everything.

Contrast that to Lexus and Infinit, where corpoate can have a hand on EVERYTHING.

Corporate TRIES, and when you have evidence of dealer misconduct, you should let BMWNA know- they can use that as leverage.

A
Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Actually this is quite a challenge for BMW.

You have to remember that BMW began with humble beginnings being this funky german company with wierd cars... finding dealers wasnt that easy.

As a result the retail dealer netweork has grown out of a historical setting in which BMW couldnt dictate everything.

Contrast that to Lexus and Infinit, where corpoate can have a hand on EVERYTHING.

Corporate TRIES, and when you have evidence of dealer misconduct, you should let BMWNA know- they can use that as leverage.

A
Honestly, I don't think that corporate is trying hard enough. The "Lexus" way is better. Selling BMWs, for dealers, should be a privilege and they should be able to loose it due to poor service.

But on the other hand, you could say that BMW is having record sales month after month and even with their poor dealer network, they're selling like hotcakes. The only pro to buying a Lexus product (IMO) is the ass kissing service. If BMW also brought that (+ reliability), they would be unstoppable
Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: German
OP, I honestly believe that not being able to order a red X5 is a bunch of BS. I just saw a X5 this morning with paper plates. It was red, like mine
Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: Ferrari 458
Quote:
Thank you very much everybody for all of the advice/moral support!

The vermillion red/oyster X5 35d with Premium, Tech, cold weather, spare tire, lane departure, etc. is now ordered (and in production), the other one (the X5 35d that "doesn't come in vermillion red or with adaptive drive") is now cancelled, and my deposit has been refunded to my card.

The "you can't have that" salesman's reply? "I was only giving you the information I had at the time." I was nice, I said, "I am not accusing you of malicious intent, I just had to go with the dealership that could get me exactly the car I wanted."

I wonder if he'll learn a lesson out of this.. People are much less likely to back out of a deal if you get them exactly what they want than if you try to push them into either what you want or what you think you could sell if they back out!

Thanks again,
Katy
Was the salesman name Mark at northwest? I walked out at him last year.

Everyone in Seattle area including BMW Bellevue, BMW Seattle are thief try to sell you car at MSRP.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Honestly, I don't think that corporate is trying hard enough. The "Lexus" way is better. Selling BMWs, for dealers, should be a privilege and they should be able to loose it due to poor service.

But on the other hand, you could say that BMW is having record sales month after month and even with their poor dealer network, they're selling like hotcakes. The only pro to buying a Lexus product (IMO) is the ass kissing service. If BMW also brought that (+ reliability), they would be unstoppable
You must live in a remote area where competition isn't high. Around here there are multiple dealerships and they all kiss ass from the minute you walk in. Also, is BMW having record sales month after month? I don't get that impression, Audi? yeah, they're selling at close to MSRP, BMW's are going for invoice +$500 usually, you don't sell at discount if demand is high.

And it's "lose", "loose" means not tight
Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '09 Cayenne "S"
Here too! Audi (and others -- like MB) are selling at or close to sticker and BMW's discounted heavily. Seems as if BMW has more cars to sell than the others so they have to do what is necessary to move them out. However if they are making a profit then more power to them. After all volume does count too!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Not sure why any salesman would want to push a customer towards a certain configuration over another. It's the customers vehicle, not the salespersons. I can understand offering suggestions...but to push them???