Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i
Battery replacement time

Well seems like I need to get my battery replaced. When I start my car the past day or two it sounds like it's slow to turn over. I was cleaning the interior last weekend and the battery drained in about 15 mins with the radio on and the car off. I jumped it properly and drove it to west palm so it charged up and had no issues but over the week it slowly drained due to me not driving it far/often. The battery warning is present on the iDrive and the indicator on the battery is black which by the label says the gel has almost no charge. It's not yellow which states it needs to be replaced but I have an appointment tomorrow at 9am to get it replaced.

I called one dealer and they said it the battery was only covered for 2 years and it would be $300 to replace. I called up the next one down the street and they said it was covered (I'm still under factory for a couple months). Anyone know for sure if it's covered under the factory warranty?

2006 650i - SMG - Alpine White / Chateau
Mods: OEM style 249 19" rims, H&R 10mm front spacers and 12mm rear spacers, KW v3 coilovers, Magnaflow exhaust (x-pipe, mufflers, resonator delete), RPi scoop, BMC filter (charcoal delete), LED angel eyes, 30% tint, OEM iPod interface, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black kidney grill
Ads by Google
Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: RR Sport SC, GL450
yes it is covered under factory

2012 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes GL450

2010 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 HP SC

2006 Black Sapphire Metallic 650i 6MT SOLD

2008 White Diamond Tricoat Cadillac Escalade SOLD
Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZinMJ3 View Post
yes it is covered under factory
There seem to be a few threads in this forum that may indicate otherwise, in cases where the owner has a "driving profile" that shows an excessive number of short trips in the car. This is what my dealer told me when I was experiencing some low battery issues a couple of months back. In those cases they told me it would NOT be covered under warranty, and when I called BMWNA they pretty much said the same thing.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: fun cars
I imagine they would have a very difficult time defending that if it isn't in the warranty as "blah blah blah, you have to have an average driving leg of X distance/time to preserve the battery warranty." I'd ask them to show you where that language is in the warranty.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Sandlapper

Mein Auto: '13 650GC, '14 M6 coupe
I have an 08 650i and also had the same battery condition problem as yours. Local dealer replaced the OEM battery under warranty but advised I get a BMW battery charger to keep it from discharging during periods of inactivity (week at a time, etc). I took the advice and use the charger if I'm not driving the car much. I also have a voltage meter which I use to see if the voltage drops to levels below what is recommended. A little bit of a hassle but this solution is working well for me.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 AM

So everything went smoothly. I went to Vista BMW in Pompano Beach. My service advisor was Pete so any local guys I would reccomend him. I went in and told them my issues and he took care of me. Battery was replaced no questions asked and they also changed the oil since it was due in 1,900 miles. The tech working on my loved it other than he complained about it being so low :P he had to use a jack instead of the lift. He asked me before he was done if i wanted it washed since he prob knew I would say no. Would have walked out with no charge but I made a trip the the parts department and bought a couple things. I got the all weather trunk mat and cargo net. I also got a quart of oil and the case for it. It has some wipes and paper funnels to add it without making a mess. It also has velco on the back of the case so you just stick it to the side inside the trunk. Good thing to have since our cars eat oil.

Mods: OEM style 249 19" rims, H&R 10mm front spacers and 12mm rear spacers, KW v3 coilovers, Magnaflow exhaust (x-pipe, mufflers, resonator delete), RPi scoop, BMC filter (charcoal delete), LED angel eyes, 30% tint, OEM iPod interface, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black kidney grill
Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Greg

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci convertible
Does the battery have to be replaced at the dealer? My car had the battery replaced in May (before I bought the car) and the dealer told me BMW was the only one that could change the battery due to sensors having to be powered up after replacement. Sounds kinda strange but this is my first bimmer.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGMc View Post
Does the battery have to be replaced at the dealer? My car had the battery replaced in May (before I bought the car) and the dealer told me BMW was the only one that could change the battery due to sensors having to be powered up after replacement. Sounds kinda strange but this is my first bimmer.
You can change it yourself. You might trip a check engine or alert if any systems don't start up properly once they regain power. The tech doing my battery had a hard time getting rid of a code. He has to keep resetting it and now it's fine. I don't know the exact procedure to reset everything but I believe you can do it yourself.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM

If changed by the dealer they will "register" the battery using some type of device that syncs up the battery to the car's internal computer. If the battery is not registered then I believe there's a chance for bogus battery alerts to occur...at least that's what I can gather from reading other posts on this topic.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
If changed by the dealer they will "register" the battery using some type of device that syncs up the battery to the car's internal computer. If the battery is not registered then I believe there's a chance for bogus battery alerts to occur...at least that's what I can gather from reading other posts on this topic.
Not sure if that is a specific process only BMW does or if it just happens with the regular reset clearing of the codes. There is a cable that links the battery diagnostic to the onboard system. It would be interesting to find out the process.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
I just went to Sears and paid $180 for a better quality battery installed. Haven't had any issues at all.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Did you attempt to have the battery registered? If you haven't done so already please take a look at this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=356897

One of the "experts" there claims that the battery must be registered and must either be OEM or a spiral-cell type.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Thanks for the link. I've had this battery for 9 months without any warning messages or other signs of problems. So I think I'll just leave sleeping dogs lie.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:23 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
yea, its covered under factory warranty

BMW CREE LED ANGEL EYES ALL BMW MODELS MTEC V3 V4 DTEC V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 NO ERROR
BMW ACCESSORIES and PARTS
BMW LED INTERIOR KITS
please PM/Email us for member discount/combo pricing
info@e92-lighting.com "e90post5" for 5% off as the promo code
Old 12-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Did you attempt to have the battery registered? If you haven't done so already please take a look at this thread:

One of the "experts" there claims that the battery must be registered and must either be OEM or a spiral-cell type.
TIS says that you have to register the battery after each replacement. On the 7's, the power module will continue to use old seasonal values and temporal values for evaluating the battery if it's not registered. I'd have to look up the documents on the 6, but it's likely for the same reasons.

For reference, the E63/E64's (6's) take the same battery as the E65/E66 (7's), a type 49 AGM (absorbent glass mat).
Example of an appropriate battery --> here.

Battery registration can be done using INPA or DIS.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 12-29-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Very informative and good information. Thanks NWS Alpine!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 01-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i & 2006 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
I have an 08 650i and also had the same battery condition problem as yours. Local dealer replaced the OEM battery under warranty but advised I get a BMW battery charger to keep it from discharging during periods of inactivity (week at a time, etc). I took the advice and use the charger if I'm not driving the car much. I also have a voltage meter which I use to see if the voltage drops to levels below what is recommended. A little bit of a hassle but this solution is working well for me.
What is the recommended voltage level ?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:54 PM

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=423610

I was told that the battery is a special battery and must be the right one or you will get all sorts of false alerts in the iDrive system, it has to be a minimum 900CCA (Cold Cranking Amps).
The dealer gave me a load of BS about the batteries being on back order and there weren't any in the country, I called another dealership and they had two in stock, I called my dealership back and told them and they said they "weren't allowed" to go get it, I called BMWNA and the next day my car was ready!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Sandlapper

Mein Auto: '13 650GC, '14 M6 coupe
battery charge level

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokmeipai View Post
What is the recommended voltage level ?
Shouldn't drop below 50%. Here are the percentage charges for the 650 battery.
Open Circuit Voltage-State of Battery Charge

OCV
(State of Charge)

12.65 volts
100%

12.45 volts
75%

12.24 volts
50%

12.06 volts
25%

11.89 volts
Discharged
Old 01-18-2010, 02:02 PM

This thread also has some very useful information:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=356897&page=2
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Grpre95

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i
How can you check on the battery if its almost dead....does it show on the battery itelf. BTW 650I BMW has a a standard 850CCA
Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grpre95 View Post
How can you check on the battery if its almost dead....does it show on the battery itelf. BTW 650I BMW has a a standard 850CCA
The quickie way is to check the "magic eye" little window on top of the battery. If it's black the battery is probably near the end of it's life.

To be sure, you should take it to the nearest Pep Boys/Auto Zone and have it load tested - they do it for free.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Grpre95

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
The quickie way is to check the "magic eye" little window on top of the battery. If it's black the battery is probably near the end of it's life.

To be sure, you should take it to the nearest Pep Boys/Auto Zone and have it load tested - they do it for free.
I would if I could get the car started.....i need to jump started....the battery is dead
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grpre95 View Post
I would if I could get the car started.....i need to jump started....the battery is dead
I would pull out the battery and bring it in to the store, it takes about 5 min to remove.

Have you tried trickle charging it?
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater