Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 750i
Love my 750i but a few things I like better in my Corvette

Love my 750i but there are a few things I like better in my Corvette. Though minor, a few electronic features in the Corvette are superior and causing a bit of frustration with the new 750i.

In the Corvette, I push the start button to turn off the engine (just like the BMW). When I open the door and exit, the radio\entertainment system turns off, I close the door and walk away and the doors automatically lock after a few seconds.

With the BMW, my wife and I find ourselves doing the same routine that has been ingrained over the last three years with the Corvette. Worst case is the radio stays on (unless I press the start button twice), but more importantly the car remains unlocked. It seems superfluous to hold the door handle an extra second for it to lock. Why isn't this automatic like the Corvette?.

Other small issues: Why is the door lock and unlock switch in the middle of the dash? Is far more convenient to have that switch on each door. Also, it is my opinion that the cabin trunk release switch placement is very poor and inconvenient.

Other than that, it is a fantastic automobile!
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Active Hybrid 7
I no longer find issue with the push 2x to turn off engine and radio. Think of it like this: 1 push is ACC and 2 pushes is off!

When the door is locked, it still bugs me with the 2 door pulls to open the door. I think Porsche and Range Rover do this as well, and Rolls Royce has it too.

I finally got used to the door lock button being in the middle of the dash, and then Rolls Royce & BMW go and put it between the seats in my new Ghost!

Sadly & stupidly, the trunk release in the Rolls Royce is the SAME as the 7 Series. Hate it, and so unergonomic!

I do like that the 2009-2013 7 Series, has the joy stick gear selector, where a gear selector or stick shift should be. The Rolls Royce has it where the last 7 Series had it (2002-2008)....on the right side of the steering wheel, next to the windshield wipers. Today at Trader Joes, I was trying to park my USS Missiouri, LOL,.....and I hit the wiper stalk, instead of the gear shift selector. Shot washer fluid all over my flawlessly clean car, and then could not get the wipers off. I looked like a total a**.

NO car is perfect. I've been switching cars every 6 months to 18 months for almost 15 years....and every Make and Model does something brilliantly, and many things stupidly. I think of all the makes and models, my Supercharged Range Rover, my three 7 Series and the RR Ghost are the best. Had lots and lots of issues with 3/5 of our X5s, but I still love the X5! Great mixing of car and SUV!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
I have come to like the radio continuation when I turn off the BMW. I sit in the car with my dog and listen as i wait for my wife (shop).
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 10-06-2012, 03:24 PM
CABimmerNation

Mein Auto: 2010 750i M Sport
chrischeung pointed out that after pressing it only once, killing the engine but nothing else, as you walk away from the car when you arm the alarm, it kills everything else. The car stereo kind of plays you out as you gather your things out of it and walk away. It's nice.
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch100 View Post

When the door is locked, it still bugs me with the 2 door pulls to open the door. I think Porsche and Range Rover do this as well, and Rolls Royce has it too.
I think you can change that with PROGMAN.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPAULY View Post
I think you can change that with PROGMAN.
What is Progman?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Rick View Post
What is Progman?
Part of the BMW dealership tools suite - I have them all loaded on a laptop to service my car. I'll try to check tomorrow but I think that option can be changed.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 PM

Check and see if locking the doors automatically as you walk away from the car is an option.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Rick View Post
Check and see if locking the doors automatically as you walk away from the car is an option.
Might be for comfort access, but I do not have that option.