Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Holmes View Post
+1. I fall between the top 5% and top 1% and I'm still a ways from plunking down 100 large for a vehicle. I buy my cars used. And even then none of them were 100K when new. I'm sure I could easily qualify for something in that neighborhood based on my income and my expenses but, why? Don't get me wrong I really really really admire a finely engineered piece of machinery. Did I mention that I really like cars? Maybe someday when I'm very comfortably in the 1%. Even then if I'm spending anywhere near 100K on a car, it will probably still be used.
I don't know if it's the same for you, but we don't trust our income to be around forever. We're not union, or doctors, or Feds, or whatever jobs that seem like they have 100% job security.

So unfortunately, no matter how much we have saved, I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable spending $50k, much less $100k on a vehicle, at least until we retire.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
That doesn't sound like Chris' talking...
There's no doubt that some of it is people who can't afford it buying on credit, but with the wealth gap widening greatly, particularly in the last 4 years, I think it may be more than that.

When I was in college, it seemed like only a few cars were priced for the 1%, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche maybe. Nowadays everyone is offering several cars in the $100k range, even BMW.

It's strange.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
they may be priced for the 1%, but the 10% buy them
And there are the peasant/tinkerers like me who buy them when they're well broken in, perhaps around the 200K mile mark.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I don't know if it's the same for you, but we don't trust our income to be around forever. We're not union, or doctors, or Feds, or whatever jobs that seem like they have 100% job security.

So unfortunately, no matter how much we have saved, I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable spending $50k, much less $100k on a vehicle, at least until we retire.
I fall in that same boat. I am also none of the above. Luckily my wife is very conservative financially. She grew up with a family who did very very well. You would never know it by the looking at their cars or where they lived up until a few years back. Consequently we have never bought a house that even came close to what we could afford to spend if we wanted to. They have been nice and in nice neighborhoods but, nothing fancy by any stretch.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
And there are the peasant/tinkerers like me who buy them when they're well broken in, perhaps around the 200K mile mark.
Nothing at all wrong with that. If somebody is good with their hands, they can fix just about anything. I'ved tried to teach my kids that they can drive nice cars if they are willing to turn a wrench once in awhile.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
They are expensive toys.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 10-02-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
There's no doubt that some of it is people who can't afford it buying on credit, but with the wealth gap widening greatly, particularly in the last 4 years, I think it may be more than that.

When I was in college, it seemed like only a few cars were priced for the 1%, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche maybe. Nowadays everyone is offering several cars in the $100k range, even BMW.

It's strange.
When people with median income start to lease or loan new cars that cost 20K MSRP, how hard is it to imagine those who earn 100K-200K to lease or loan one that cost 50K and up without saving up for emergency fund?

Not everybody is fiscally conservative or responsible like you and me.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
When people with median income start to lease or loan new cars that cost 20K MSRP, how hard is it to imagine those who earn 100K-200K to lease or loan one that cost 50K and up without saving up for emergency fund?

Not everybody is fiscally conservative or responsible like you and me.
I'm sure that's true, but the top 5% in household income is $159k. Are there really enough 5 percenters to buy all these $50-100k cars? Especially when you rule out the fiscally conservative ones.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
I'm sure that's true, but the top 5% in household income is $159k. Are there really enough 5 percenters to buy all these $50-100k cars? Especially when you rule out the fiscally conservative ones.
You're talking about 110m households in the US as of 2010, ie 5 million that makes 160K and above, and there're not many options (models) for that group to choose from.

Then you also have to factor in the supercars with extremely limited amounts being scooped up by the riches (the top 0.1%) around the world...

3-series and C-class are the new Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
You're talking about 110m households in the US as of 2010, ie 5 million that makes 160K and above, and there're not many options (models) for that group to choose from.

Then you also have to factor in the supercars with extremely limited amounts being scooped up by the riches (the top 0.1%) around the world...

3-series and C-class are the new Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.
Yeah, maybe it's that simple, the $40k households are buying $30k cars, and the $150k households are buying $60k cars. Median new car price is like $30k now.

I read yesterday that in Europe they are selling new luxury cars as used at big discounts so they can pad new car sales.