Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to rcolbya
Mein Auto: 740il & X5
4.4 rings

After having a "smoke problem" last fall "corrected" by a BMW dealer replacing the pvc under waranty, I am now told 11 months later that the rings need replacemtent for $7-$8K. Effect vs. cause?? My after waranty bmw repair shop (28 years going to them) stated that the 4.4 is known for ring problems. He called the head mechanic of the local BMW dealer who concurred. I was told by that BMW head service writer that you have to come in with a specific problem that they address under waranty but will not inform you of any other problems per their contract with BMW America. Any others out there with same problem? Last year I got rid of my 745 with the 4.4 which had to have the secondary pump air inlets unclogged for $5-6K. Same cause - rings.
Advertisement