Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: F11 soon
Bluetooth Problem

Dear Forum-Members,

I have in my F11 (MY 07/2012) Navigation Prof. (609) and since the "BT hands-free-equipment with USB-Interface" is standard in the F11, I missed to order "BT hands-free-equipment with USB-interface incl. BMW Assist (6NL)".

As a matter of fact it seems that this was a mistake.

The problem is that my Iphone 4S does neither connect Audio nor Data via Bluetooth. Ordinary Phone-calls are working perfect via Bluetooth.

This means playing songs via Bluetooth does not work and trying to connect via the cell-phone to the Internet (like described from members: Coding INTERNET_BROWSER) does not work either because of no Data-connection to the Iphone.

I found some settings in the CAF of HUC_CIC (BT_DATA or BT_AUDIO) but I'm not sure if it works.

On the other side I don't think there is special hardware for this rather than only coding.

Therefore my question:

Is there somebody in the forum which owns a car with similar built-date and working BT-conncection to Phone/Audio/Data ??? If yes, I would be grateful to receive the HU_CIC-CAF to compare with my settings !!!

My dealer pretends that there is nothing I could do now and I have to live with this situation.

Thanks,
F11-Newbie

P.S. It is important to get it work since my Iphone 4S in addition is not recognized via the original USB-cable ==> I can't use my songs on the Iphone in my BMW currently !!!
Ads by Google
Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
What is the Bluetooth Option Code your car does have?

Since you have a 0712 build, I assume you have 6VC Combox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F11-Newbie View Post
Dear Forum-Members,

I have in my F11 (MY 07/2012) Navigation Prof. (609) and since the "BT hands-free-equipment with USB-Interface" is standard in the F11, I missed to order "BT hands-free-equipment with USB-interface incl. BMW Assist (6NL)".

As a matter of fact it seems that this was a mistake.

The problem is that my Iphone 4S does neither connect Audio nor Data via Bluetooth. Ordinary Phone-calls are working perfect via Bluetooth.

This means playing songs via Bluetooth does not work and trying to connect via the cell-phone to the Internet (like described from members: Coding INTERNET_BROWSER) does not work either because of no Data-connection to the Iphone.

I found some settings in the CAF of HUC_CIC (BT_DATA or BT_AUDIO) but I'm not sure if it works.

On the other side I don't think there is special hardware for this rather than only coding.

Therefore my question:

Is there somebody in the forum which owns a car with similar built-date and working BT-conncection to Phone/Audio/Data ??? If yes, I would be grateful to receive the HU_CIC-CAF to compare with my settings !!!

My dealer pretends that there is nothing I could do now and I have to live with this situation.

Thanks,
F11-Newbie

P.S. It is important to get it work since my Iphone 4S in addition is not recognized via the original USB-cable ==> I can't use my songs on the Iphone in my BMW currently !!!

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
What is the Bluetooth Option Code your car does have?

Since you have a 0712 build, I assume you have 6VC Combox?
Hello Shawn,
BMWVin.com says that I have
6NH Hands-free with USB interface
6VA CIC-Zusteuerung
609 Navigation system Professional

I don't know what the BT option code is.

BTW: Neither Iphone nor Ipod ins recognized via USB as well

Thanks for every hint !!!

Regards,

F11-Newbie
Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Hello Shawn,
BMWVin.com says that I have
6NH Hands-free with USB interface
6VA CIC-Zusteuerung
609 Navigation system Professional

I don't know what the BT option code is.

BTW: Neither Iphone nor Ipod ins recognized via USB as well

Thanks for every hint !!!

Regards,

F11-Newbie
You have 6NH, which as sold, does not support Bluetooth Profile A2DP - Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (Bluetooth Streaming Audio). By the book, you need 6NK or 6NL:

Option Code: 6NH - Handsfree with USB interface

This Bluetooth option is standard in some regions like North-America, UK and the Netherlands.

Support for Bluetooth HSP (Headset Profile)
Support for Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network) (or is it DUN?)
Support for Bluetooth PBA for addressbook sharing with supported devices
Up to 4 devices can be paired, but only one device can be active.
Includes a USB port in the center armrest

Option Code: 6NK - GSM preperation with USB and Bluetooth connectivity

Features in addition to Basic Handsfree;

Support for Bluetooth A2DP Profile support for Audio streaming over Bluetooth
Support for Bluetooth MAP Profile support for SMS support for supported devices
2 active bluetooth devices simultaneous
Support for Apple Album Flow (USB connected)
Support for a optional device cradle in the armrest
Voice Control
This Bluetooth option supports two active devices similtanious. If both devices are phones, incomming calls from either active device will come through, but outgoing calls will be on the primary device. Primary and Secondary can be switched around to make outgoing calls on the secondary device. Alternatively one device could be a phone and the other a dedicated audio player, streaming music.

Option Code: 6NL - BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB

This is the same a Option 6NK, but adds support for BMW Assist.

That said, I believe you can enable A2DP on your 6NH. I would change my VO from 6NH to 6NK, and Code HU_CIC, and CMB_MEDIA assuming it too exists in your SVT.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 10-14-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Bellow are the 6xx options on my car with which I get the bluetooth streaming from my phone and also the phonebook with images on the iDrive screen. But not with an iPhone though. I have an Android 2.3 running on a HTC Desire (GSM).

Shawn, I think he needs to have the 6VC also, right ?

6AA BMW TELESERVICES / BMW TeleServices
6AB STEUERUNG TELESERVICES / Control, Teleservices
6FL USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE / USB audio interface
6VC STEUERUNG COMBOX / Control, Combox
2011 F10 535i xDrive MY 01/2011 Sophisto Grey/Black
Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gicamuci View Post
Bellow are the 6xx options on my car with which I get the bluetooth streaming from my phone and also the phonebook with images on the iDrive screen. But not with an iPhone though. I have an Android 2.3 running on a HTC Desire (GSM).

Shawn, I think he needs to have the 6VC also, right ?

6AA BMW TELESERVICES / BMW TeleServices
6AB STEUERUNG TELESERVICES / Control, Teleservices
6FL USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE / USB audio interface
6VC STEUERUNG COMBOX / Control, Combox
You didn't list your Bluetooth option.

As for Combox, I am pretty sure on the new 2013's, 6VC is not a separate option code, rather it is built in to 6NH / 6NK / 6NL, but in E-Sys, there will still be a CMB_MEDIA ECU, at least where there is HU_CIC. With HU_NBT though it seems not.

At this point though, I am still trying to understand how Combox fits in with each new 2013 Chassis and the new 6NH / 6NK / 6NL option codes.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Maybe this one. It is the only one option I have with reference to phone/bluetooth.

639 KOMPLETTVORB. HANDY USA, CDN / Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA, CDN
2011 F10 535i xDrive MY 01/2011 Sophisto Grey/Black
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gicamuci View Post
Maybe this one. It is the only one option I have with reference to phone/bluetooth.

639 KOMPLETTVORB. HANDY USA, CDN / Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA, CDN
639 in North America, or 633 in Europe, with 6VC and 6FL is how it was. I think now this is all wrapped up together in 6NL.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
You have 6NH, which as sold, does not support Bluetooth Profile A2DP - Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (Bluetooth Streaming Audio). By the book, you need 6NK or 6NL:

Option Code: 6NH - Handsfree with USB interface

This Bluetooth option is standard in some regions like North-America, UK and the Netherlands.

Support for Bluetooth HSP (Headset Profile)
Support for Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network) (or is it DUN?)
Support for Bluetooth PBA for addressbook sharing with supported devices
Up to 4 devices can be paired, but only one device can be active.
Includes a USB port in the center armrest

Option Code: 6NK - GSM preperation with USB and Bluetooth connectivity

Features in addition to Basic Handsfree;

Support for Bluetooth A2DP Profile support for Audio streaming over Bluetooth
Support for Bluetooth MAP Profile support for SMS support for supported devices
2 active bluetooth devices simultaneous
Support for Apple Album Flow (USB connected)
Support for a optional device cradle in the armrest
Voice Control
This Bluetooth option supports two active devices similtanious. If both devices are phones, incomming calls from either active device will come through, but outgoing calls will be on the primary device. Primary and Secondary can be switched around to make outgoing calls on the secondary device. Alternatively one device could be a phone and the other a dedicated audio player, streaming music.

Option Code: 6NL - BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB

This is the same a Option 6NK, but adds support for BMW Assist.

That said, I believe you can enable A2DP on your 6NH. I would change my VO from 6NH to 6NK, and Code HU_CIC, and CMB_MEDIA assuming it too exists in your SVT.
Hello Shawn,
thanks for the insides.

I know how to change the VO (thanks to "... Getting Started ... - Part 3.pdf") but I have no clue what to change in HU_CIC and Combox_Media in order to get Audio and Internet via BT.
I have these CAF's:
CAFD_000000F9_007_003_111
CAFD_000005B6_004_002_110

Ans idea ???

Thanks,
F11-Newbie
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Hello Shawn,
thanks for the insides.

I know how to change the VO (thanks to "... Getting Started ... - Part 3.pdf") but I have no clue what to change in HU_CIC and Combox_Media in order to get Audio and Internet via BT.
I have these CAF's:
CAFD_000000F9_007_003_111
CAFD_000005B6_004_002_110

Ans idea ???

Thanks,
F11-Newbie
As I wrote above:

"I would change my VO from 6NH to 6NK, and Code HU_CIC, and CMB_MEDIA assuming it too exists in your SVT"

In this case, you VO Code HU_CIC and CMB_MEDIA, which is the same process as FDL Coding, except you highlight the ECU itself, not the underlying CAFD entry, right-click on it, and select CODE (NOT FDL Code).

When you do this, it will code the entire ECU to support all options in the VO, so you do not have to manually FDL Code, each and every required parameter needed to support an option.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
As I wrote above:

"I would change my VO from 6NH to 6NK, and Code HU_CIC, and CMB_MEDIA assuming it too exists in your SVT"

In this case, you VO Code HU_CIC and CMB_MEDIA, which is the same process as FDL Coding, except you highlight the ECU itself, not the underlying CAFD entry, right-click on it, and select CODE (NOT FDL Code).

When you do this, it will code the entire ECU to support all options in the VO, so you do not have to manually FDL Code, each and every required parameter needed to support an option.
Understood. Didn't know this Feature. I'll give it a try !!!
Thanks !!!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sedan
I'm trying to do the same thing with the same equipment in my 2012 F30. I have 6NH. I was able to enable BMW Live and Internet appear in the menu, but it says I need to enable bluetooth for data transfer. I activated everything I could find while coding that referenced bluetooth profiles, browser, online, and internet (except for Assist). If you find out, let me know! Haven't tried VO coding, so let us know how it goes! Thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleye3000 View Post
I'm trying to do the same thing with the same equipment in my 2012 F30. I have 6NH. I was able to enable BMW Live and Internet appear in the menu, but it says I need to enable bluetooth for data transfer. I activated everything I could find while coding that referenced bluetooth profiles, browser, online, and internet (except for Assist). If you find out, let me know! Haven't tried VO coding, so let us know how it goes! Thanks.
Why haven't you tried the VO Coding?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sedan
Haven't had the time yet... :P
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleye3000 View Post
Haven't had the time yet... :P
No time like the present.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: F25
Hey all...has anyone had any luck converting their 6NH to a 6NK? We just took delivery on our 2013 X3 (F25) yesterday and discovered that Bluetooth audio streaming was not included. The phone works fine since it is 6NH (VIN last 7 = 0A25555).

Unfortunately I'm not sure what you guys are referring to in terms of how to reprogram this. Do I need some device to plug into the car? Do I need some software? I sort of need someone to explain it to me like I'm five years old, haha. This is my first BMW, and I'm not super knowledgeable about cars. Help!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedor View Post
Hey all...has anyone had any luck converting their 6NH to a 6NK? We just took delivery on our 2013 X3 (F25) yesterday and discovered that Bluetooth audio streaming was not included. The phone works fine since it is 6NH (VIN last 7 = 0A25555).

Unfortunately I'm not sure what you guys are referring to in terms of how to reprogram this. Do I need some device to plug into the car? Do I need some software? I sort of need someone to explain it to me like I'm five years old, haha. This is my first BMW, and I'm not super knowledgeable about cars. Help!!!
I don't think it can be converted to 6NL/6NK 100%, as these options include the Combox, whereas 6NH is built into the Head Unit; however, I am pretty sure you can at least enable A2DP Profile support for Audio streaming over Bluetooth.

You need 3 things to code; an ENET Cable, E-SYS, and PSdZData.

For your F25, you should read this thread:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715297

Old 10-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Thanks Shawn. I found this thread via google prior to registering and reading the Stickys. Sorry about that. My wife really wants the full 6NK functionality. I have a conversation going with a guy from bimmerretrofit.com via email. He will sell me the Combox media and code it for me via the Internet for $650, which seems steep given that was the price for 6NL at production (including BMW Assist as well).

I'm thinking of PMing the guy in Dayton (per the Sticky thread) and asking for help. I don't know if I'd be able to install the Combox myself or if that would require a dealer (more $$$). So frustrated...
Old 10-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks Shawn. I found this thread via google prior to registering and reading the Stickys. Sorry about that. My wife really wants the full 6NK functionality. I have a conversation going with a guy from bimmerretrofit.com via email. He will sell me the Combox media and code it for me via the Internet for $650, which seems steep given that was the price for 6NL at production (including BMW Assist as well).

I'm thinking of PMing the guy in Dayton (per the Sticky thread) and asking for help. I don't know if I'd be able to install the Combox myself or if that would require a dealer (more $$$). So frustrated...
Unfortunately, anything after market is more than factory. You are probably talking with Alex at BR, and they are experts at this stuff, but not cheap. He could also sell you a Combox Telematics (for BMW Assist) instead of Combox Media just so you know, but I think it's around $200 more. Who in Dayton are you referring to, ImSW1 (Sean)?

Old 10-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Yeah (re: Sean) and yes (re: Alex). I'm in Columbus, which is about an hour away. I'm not worried about Assist to be honest, so I'd be fine with the Media. I wonder if my dealer can just order the part, and I can work with Sean to install / program.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah (re: Sean) and yes (re: Alex). I'm in Columbus, which is about an hour away. I'm not worried about Assist to be honest, so I'd be fine with the Media. I wonder if my dealer can just order the part, and I can work with Sean to install / program.
You can't go wrong with either of them.

Just an FYI, you can nab a Combox Media off eBay for around $300:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 PM

Ooh that could save a bit...I think the kits come with a cable though. Any idea what else I need (cable, bracket, etc)? I'm not able to find any instructions online for the physical installation.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 AM

I think I have some massive karma on my side. I visited my dealer this morning and they agreed to cancel the sale, add my custom build to their inventory, and reorder the car with the options I wanted.

Thank you for your help, anyway, man!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Ooh that could save a bit...I think the kits come with a cable though. Any idea what else I need (cable, bracket, etc)? I'm not able to find any instructions online for the physical installation.
I am not sure what exactly is needed on your F25.

On older cars, typically the Combox would replace the TCU (Assist/Bluetooth) and/or MULF-Hi (USB/iPod adapter) modules. This would involve:
  • Disconnecting the plugs from MULF and the TCU modules.
  • Terminating the MOST connector to the MULF with termination adapter (part of retrofit kit).
  • Connecting PnP retrofit harness (26 Pin x 52 Pin) to the existing car harness MULF and TCU connectors (part of retrofit kit).
  • Remove the USB HSD connector from the MULF module and move over to the Combox.
  • Remove the Bluetooth Fakra connector from the TCU module and move over to the Combox.
  • Code the car for 6VC
With 6NH, I do not think there are separate TCU / MULF modules, as I think they are built into the CIC. If that is the case, I would still expect some sort of wiring harness is needed to tap into the CIC instead, and the USB HSD and Bluetooth Fakra connections to be moved from the CIC to the Combox.

I am not sure on the Combox bracket.

If you look here for the F10, you will see a Combox bracket listed, Item 65159174271:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=84&fg=10&hl=4

For the F25 though, it is not shown, although I imagine it would be needed too:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...30&hg=84&fg=10

I would ask Alex for BR's installation instructions in advance so you can know if you are comfortable installing it yourself, or if you will have to plan on utilizing and paying for a shop to do it.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I think I have some massive karma on my side. I visited my dealer this morning and they agreed to cancel the sale, add my custom build to their inventory, and reorder the car with the options I wanted.

Thank you for your help, anyway, man!!!
Very good. Going OEM is a much better solution. I would also make sure you are getting 6NF and 6NR, as retrofitting them later will prove equally difficult.