Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: 06 330i
what the hell is going on my with car

i have a 06 330i that i bought about 2 months ago. within the first month i had to replace the water pump that went bad. just last week i was on the interstate coming home and everything in the car glitched for a split second. scared the hell outta me. anyways everything came back on right away and i got off at the next exit. when i was pulling over i smelled something that smelled like something was burning. so i drove it home kus i had no other choice. the next monring i was headed to work and and got a block down the road and the car was shaking bad. i pulled over and turned it off. i went to start it again and the car took a little bit to start. when i started i went to give it some gas and it would barley move. 5mph tops. so i parked the car had a tow truck take it to the bmw service center and they ran some test on it. they checked to compression and that was fine. they think my timing is off but there not sure. so just for them to check its 800$. does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? anything would be appreciated

thanks
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
I am no expert on BMW's but sounds nothing like a timing issue. I would look for the cause of the smell you had and then work from that onwards. Could be that you have a bad short thats screwing with your electrical system
Old 10-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejordan12 View Post
i have a 06 330i that i bought about 2 months ago. within the first month i had to replace the water pump that went bad. just last week i was on the interstate coming home and everything in the car glitched for a split second. scared the hell outta me. anyways everything came back on right away and i got off at the next exit. when i was pulling over i smelled something that smelled like something was burning. so i drove it home kus i had no other choice. the next monring i was headed to work and and got a block down the road and the car was shaking bad. i pulled over and turned it off. i went to start it again and the car took a little bit to start. when i started i went to give it some gas and it would barley move. 5mph tops. so i parked the car had a tow truck take it to the bmw service center and they ran some test on it. they checked to compression and that was fine. they think my timing is off but there not sure. so just for them to check its 800$. does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? anything would be appreciated

thanks

I have a 2007 328xi... I purchased it off a lease at roughly 54k miles. One day shortly after taking ownership, I was cruising down the highway at roughly 70mph and everything glitched like you just said. Scared the bejesus out of me. It turned out to be a Vanos problem. There's actually a SIB out for "dirty vanos" issues where they sometimes "stick". I have no idea what the vanos does or how it works... All I know is they cleaned it out, and it hasn't happened in 56k additional miles... (they didn't replace it, they simply cleaned it).

It threw a code so the dealer quickly knew what was wrong.

//Brew..

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 AM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
$800 just to check and diagnose the problem?? Find an indy or another dealership.

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: Many
I agree with attempting to find the source of the smell. It sounds like something might have shorted out. I don't understand them wanting to check the timing either.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by twhisten View Post
$800 just to check and diagnose the problem?? Find an indy or another dealership.
An expensive & sophisticated system to diagnose the problem, with highly trained operators.

Or, in other words, cable & laptop for codes.

Try this.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
An expensive & sophisticated system to diagnose the problem, with highly trained operators.

Or, in other words, cable & laptop for codes.
For $800, I hope he gets to keep that laptop then.