Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Stelvio Stelvio is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 335i
'12 335i "Last User Mode" Update in SoCal?

Hi everyone, particularly in the LA area. I have been hassling and hammering at the dealer my car came from since the first week in August to get the "MSA II" update that installs the "Last User Mode" update into the car. The run-around has been staggering, but finally there was word that a "major update" for the car was available and I was going to be one of the first to get it. I asked repeatedly about the "Last User Mode" being included in the update, and was told just as repeatedly that BMW never shares with dealer Shop Foremen or anyone else what exactly the software update is designed to address or includes. I asked how then does anyone know what is or what isn't in the car, and I never got an answer; "We're sorry but BMW doesn't tell us either so therefore we can't tell you".

They did the "major update" last week, and the Auto Stop-Start still functions as originally described in the owner's manual: regardless of whether or not you disable the system at start-up, the next time the car is started the system is active. The "update" also reintroduced a problem the dealer did fix back in June when I received the car: the iDrive was incapable of changing/adjusting the brightness or position of the Heads-Up Display on the windshield. Now that I have the "latest software', the iDrive can make those Heads-Up Display adjustments about half the time. The other half, the highlighted "Brightness Bar" just sits there in highlighted red while I spin the iDrive knob (I guess this is progress; in June it never worked at all). After this "latest and greatest" update, I still have a car that defaults to MSA being "on" after restarting the car, and the reintroduction of the gremlin in the Heads-Up display. And when I ask why I didn't receive what I specifically asked for in the update (LUM), I'm told I "currently have the latest software available for your car" and that's that. The implication is that if "Last User Mode" wasn't in the "Latest Update", then you don't get it.

So - is there anyone out there in the LA area that has successfully received the "Last User Mode" update from a dealer? Anyone found a dealer that even acknowledges "Last User Mode" exists? I'm out of time and patience with this notion that the "BMW God" up there somewhere next to Zeus can't be questioned, bothered or forced to acknowledge information like that covering "SI B12 15 12" as posted here on Bimmerfest. I honestly didn't expect this car to be like owning a '90's Windows PC" after three flawless years in a leased '09 135i - but so far, I'm afraid it is. And how's Microsoft doing these days compared to their competitors?

Thanks to everyone and anyone who can help on this - Cheers
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM
shutterlife shutterlife is offline
Registered User
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: S2000
Sorry to hear about your hassles. I got the last user setting done on delivery. I emailed them the service bulletin and wasn't even asked twice about it. In the end the setting works as its suppose to. Remembering my last setting.

Had mine done at Crevier BMW. Hope you have better luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Stelvio Stelvio is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 335i
Thanks so much - I'll hope it's that smooth twice. Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 PM
jlukja jlukja is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 758
Mein Auto: '13 328i
There are a number of dealers in SoCal. Perhaps you can try another dealer?
__________________
MY2013 328i, N26 / 300 / 4CG / KCDF / 2DW / 205 / ZDH / 302 / 3DZ / 403 / 494
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Stelvio Stelvio is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 335i
I called the dealer closest to me first, and they flatly said they were aware of the coding to "Last User Mode", but that they "don't and won't do it". I asked if they'd like to tell me why, and they said "no". So I said "seriously? You won't do an upgrade to something that newer cars are coming with anyway?" "no". Followed, by, "Good Bye". The car went into Crevier BMW for the upgrade this morning, and the writing-up of the car went super-smooth as shutterlife said it would. Trouble is, after five hours the car "didn't take it well" so it stays the night. That doesn't surprise me, considering what a POS the MSA has been in my car since Morning One. Tomorrow is another day.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,136
Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelvio View Post
I called the dealer closest to me first, and they flatly said they were aware of the coding to "Last User Mode", but that they "don't and won't do it". I asked if they'd like to tell me why, and they said "no". So I said "seriously? You won't do an upgrade to something that newer cars are coming with anyway?" "no". Followed, by, "Good Bye". The car went into Crevier BMW for the upgrade this morning, and the writing-up of the car went super-smooth as shutterlife said it would. Trouble is, after five hours the car "didn't take it well" so it stays the night. That doesn't surprise me, considering what a POS the MSA has been in my car since Morning One. Tomorrow is another day.
Would you feel it's appropriate to divulge who the dealer you went to first? I would certainly not want to take my car there based on their customer service. Hopefully it's not one close to where I live as well.
__________________
Dan
'03 325i OrBlu, MT, PP, SP
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite, AT, SP, CP
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2012, 02:28 AM
live4wknds live4wknds is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by anddown View Post
would you feel it's appropriate to divulge who the dealer you went to first? I would certainly not want to take my car there based on their customer service. Hopefully it's not one close to where i live as well.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM
jlukja jlukja is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 758
Mein Auto: '13 328i
+2
__________________
MY2013 328i, N26 / 300 / 4CG / KCDF / 2DW / 205 / ZDH / 302 / 3DZ / 403 / 494
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM
FrogmanF30's Avatar
FrogmanF30 FrogmanF30 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 409
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
+3

If you don't want to name them, then how about the GPS coordinates!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Stelvio Stelvio is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 335i
OK - Back from Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, the proud recipient of the MSA II up-grade to "Last User Mode"' finally. They were superb, calm, gracious and even had a small stack of printed-out copies of the BMW Service Bulletin covering MSA II - the very same one I saw initially on Bimmerfest almost two months ago. For some reason, the car took the update in minutes this morning where it wasn't too interested most of yesterday. But I have it, and it works, and life is good.

Regarding the other dealers, seeing as this is a "service business" if there ever was one (they even have signs pointing you to the department), any dealer who responds any differently or less immediately than Crevier BMW did doesn't seem to get that part. My first salesman at my computer reseller was always as good as gold whenever my Visa card was peeking out of the wallet, but to help me through the inevitable rough stuff a year down the road was something not forthcoming without a lot of hassle. Hence, new salesman. And in the age of the internet, it seems to me that any and every dealer or seller of anything would be wise to remember that we can and do all find each other when we have problems that do or don't get fixed, and we take notes. How you're willing to respond to any given customer, is how you're willing to respond to them all. And if you're proud to do it once, you might as well be proud to do it a thousand times - because in the day of the internet, you just did.

The dealer that is closest to me as the crow flies, is Savage in Ontario. They simply said "we know about MSA II, but we don't and we won't do it". It might have been a bad day for that particular guy, but he's the one that took the job in the "service dept". He should have taken an additional breath if he was having a bad day, because he'll never see me there after that. The original dealer that just didn't acknowledge the update's existence, treat it as an important thing to potential owners or my having sent them the copies of the BMW service bulletin for close to 8 weeks, was Bob Smith in Calabasas. They did install what were in fact the "latest software updates", but told me that if after getting the latest software I still didn't have this "Last User thing", they didn't know what to tell me (for the record, "Last User" has nothing to do with any "latest software update" - if a customer wants it, the dealer just emails BMW and gets a "code" or "license" to download and install that specific function only). I sent my salesman, the service writer and the service manager a firm but fair email covering all the calls and emails I'd made about "Last User" since early August, new copies of the official service bulletin from BMW and asked for a response or communication on where I should go from there - and after four days, nothing back from anyone there either. Then along came shutterlife from Bimmerfest suggesting Crevier, and Bob's Your Uncle (thank you shutterlife; you are a gentleman and a scholar). With the other dealers, I don't get it. Maybe some of these people have just already met all the people worth meeting.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Stelvio Stelvio is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 335i
HI shutterlife - just wanted to thank you for the Crevier recommendation; LUM was done and the experience there was superb. It's Our Place now - thanks so much. Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-30-2012, 01:00 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,983
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelvio View Post
OK - Back from Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, the proud recipient of the MSA II up-grade to "Last User Mode"' finally. They were superb, calm, gracious and even had a small stack of printed-out copies of the BMW Service Bulletin covering MSA II - the very same one I saw initially on Bimmerfest almost two months ago. For some reason, the car took the update in minutes this morning where it wasn't too interested most of yesterday. But I have it, and it works, and life is good.

Regarding the other dealers, seeing as this is a "service business" if there ever was one (they even have signs pointing you to the department), any dealer who responds any differently or less immediately than Crevier BMW did doesn't seem to get that part. My first salesman at my computer reseller was always as good as gold whenever my Visa card was peeking out of the wallet, but to help me through the inevitable rough stuff a year down the road was something not forthcoming without a lot of hassle. Hence, new salesman. And in the age of the internet, it seems to me that any and every dealer or seller of anything would be wise to remember that we can and do all find each other when we have problems that do or don't get fixed, and we take notes. How you're willing to respond to any given customer, is how you're willing to respond to them all. And if you're proud to do it once, you might as well be proud to do it a thousand times - because in the day of the internet, you just did.

The dealer that is closest to me as the crow flies, is Savage in Ontario. They simply said "we know about MSA II, but we don't and we won't do it". It might have been a bad day for that particular guy, but he's the one that took the job in the "service dept". He should have taken an additional breath if he was having a bad day, because he'll never see me there after that. The original dealer that just didn't acknowledge the update's existence, treat it as an important thing to potential owners or my having sent them the copies of the BMW service bulletin for close to 8 weeks, was Bob Smith in Calabasas. They did install what were in fact the "latest software updates", but told me that if after getting the latest software I still didn't have this "Last User thing", they didn't know what to tell me (for the record, "Last User" has nothing to do with any "latest software update" - if a customer wants it, the dealer just emails BMW and gets a "code" or "license" to download and install that specific function only). I sent my salesman, the service writer and the service manager a firm but fair email covering all the calls and emails I'd made about "Last User" since early August, new copies of the official service bulletin from BMW and asked for a response or communication on where I should go from there - and after four days, nothing back from anyone there either. Then along came shutterlife from Bimmerfest suggesting Crevier, and Bob's Your Uncle (thank you shutterlife; you are a gentleman and a scholar). With the other dealers, I don't get it. Maybe some of these people have just already met all the people worth meeting.
Thanks for posting.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 PM
ehchan ehchan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 132
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Crevier really is one of the best service depts in SoCal. Lots of loaners, and efficient processes.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Stelvio Stelvio is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 335i
Certainly seems to be - they said they were as close as you could probably get to a "Factory Shop", and at the bottom of the satisfaction survey they email to you after the service apt, there is an option to be contacted by BMW of North America about any issues; never seen that from any other dealer. Done Deal from now on, and they are a Dinan Shop as well. Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-30-2012, 02:04 PM
GirlLuvMyBMW640 GirlLuvMyBMW640 is offline
BeachBitch
Location: In a Galaxy Far Far Away
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 2013 640i Gran Coupe
Reason 5684 I don't live in So Cal. My dealer up here Nor Cal made me an appointment and had it done in a day. Even provide me a loaner car. Seems odd but I would suggest you elevate it to BMW NA.
__________________
Forget your Past but don't let it stop you. Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

My Car:

1994 E36 Convertible (Inherited from my Loving Father)

2013 640i Gran Coupe
Carbon Black Metallic
Ivory White Nappa
Everything but B&O, Night Vision and Active Cruise Control.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-30-2012, 02:58 PM
shutterlife shutterlife is offline
Registered User
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: S2000
Glad to hear it worked out for you at Crevier
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,136
Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Darn, would love to use Crevier but they are a good hour's drive away. The closest ones are Savage and Riverside, so will have to see what happens with the re-coding. Now that the car is broken in at 1200+ miles, the ASS seems to be less abrupt upon re-start and the wife seems to be ok with it (it's her daily driver).

Thanks for your informative write-up .
__________________
Dan
'03 325i OrBlu, MT, PP, SP
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite, AT, SP, CP
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-30-2012, 06:57 PM
SD330i SD330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, Ca.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 724
Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Crevier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterlife View Post
Glad to hear it worked out for you at Crevier
Glad to hear Crevier did a good Job. I understand they were recently sold to Penske Auto Group , which also Own BMW of San Diego. We have always had great Sales and Service there. Pat Springer is an excellent CA. He has handled our last 3 Leases. When we get back from our PCD , we will look into that fix. Thanks again. Happy Motoring When we lived in The OC, Crevier always had an excellent Reputation. My wife knew Mr. Crevier from Chamber of Commerce Business. Nice Familly Dealership. So few of those around anymore !!
__________________
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 PM
ehchan ehchan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 132
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Well, technically, they aren't a family dealership anymore as they are now part of Penske's empire. But it doesn't seem to have affected anything so far. A bright star in a dearth of bad socal dealers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post
Glad to hear Crevier did a good Job. I understand they were recently sold to Penske Auto Group , which also Own BMW of San Diego. We have always had great Sales and Service there. Pat Springer is an excellent CA. He has handled our last 3 Leases. When we get back from our PCD , we will look into that fix. Thanks again. Happy Motoring When we lived in The OC, Crevier always had an excellent Reputation. My wife knew Mr. Crevier from Chamber of Commerce Business. Nice Familly Dealership. So few of those around anymore !!


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-30-2012, 09:59 PM
ChrisF01's Avatar
ChrisF01 ChrisF01 is offline
Gib mir Feurschutz!
Location: SoCal (West LA & IE), Detuschland
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,081
Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Darn, would love to use Crevier but they are a good hour's drive away. The closest ones are Savage and Riverside, so will have to see what happens with the re-coding. Now that the car is broken in at 1200+ miles, the ASS seems to be less abrupt upon re-start and the wife seems to be ok with it (it's her daily driver).

Thanks for your informative write-up .
I had a some issues with my F02, and Riverside was great about it, they kept me informed each leg of the processes, and didnt feel like a hassle to get a loaner.

I'd recommend them, I certainly would buy another car from them as well.
__________________

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,136
Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF02 View Post
I had a some issues with my F02, and Riverside was great about it, they kept me informed each leg of the processes, and didnt feel like a hassle to get a loaner.

I'd recommend them, I certainly would buy another car from them as well.
Yup, have been going to Riverside for some years now. They used to provide bimmers for loaners but last couple of times, it was through a car rental company. Maybe they've changed recently? . One plus is that the husband of my personal assistant is a master mechanic at the dealership so I can trust whatever he does with the car.
__________________
Dan
'03 325i OrBlu, MT, PP, SP
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite, AT, SP, CP
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms