Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
2012 550 throttle "tip in" question

I have now had my car for six months and have 8,000 miles on it. By far my biggest bitch with the car is the total inability to drive the car smoothly. About 75% of the issue is pulling away from a dead stop. With all the talk of the delay on the 535 in particular, I thought my issue was related.

Over the past month or so I think I've concluded what the problem is, and I have not seen this addressed on the forum. What I think is happening is that the car is starting in second gear, and if you keep a very light throttle it stays in second until the upshift to third. BUT, if you are trying to accelerate a little harder - and by this I mean like maybe 25% or more throttle (in other words, still not a lot) the car downshifts to first and you get a jolt of acceleration that is much more than you wanted, and is not smooth at all.

I came to this conclusion when a friend of mine told me that his previous generation 550 did it as well (yeah, I still don't remember all the series numbers and letters!). He told me it was smoother if he put it in sport mode pulling away from a stop. I have tried it a number of times now and he's right - my car will accelerate smoothly if I start in sport mode. I am now convinced that it's because it is now starting out in first gear instead of starting in second and then downshifting. If I sit at a stop in "normal" mode, then while still sitting still with my foot on the brake I pull the lever over to "sport" mode I can actually feel the car shift down.

Questions....is this what is happening? Maybe it's a known function and I just have not read about it. Second, are others having the same reaction to it not being smooth? Third, is there any way to code it to start in first if in normal mode?

Thanks!

P.S. my friend I referred to drove my car and said he could not believe how bad it was, and he will not buy another BMW unless they fix this issue. He has had a number of BMWs for he and his wife. He now has a CLS M-B and his wife drives a E550 M-B. BMW needs to realize that people are not buying their cars any more just because of this sort of issue.
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
It's definitely the transmission Jim. If you start in Sport, it will start in first and the issue is gone.

I've tried many things to fix this but none have worked so fars.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I'm not sure if you have an actual problem, aren't autos supposed to downshift if they aren't in the rev range to meet your throttle input? That's how it worked in my previous Benzs. Are you saying this is unpredictable based upon your throttle input?

You can program Sport mode via iDrive to start the car in 1st gear, but I find starting a 550 in 1st a little too aggressive to use in normal traffic.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I'm not sure if you have an actual problem, aren't autos supposed to downshift if they aren't in the rev range to meet your throttle input? That's how it worked in my previous Benzs. Are you saying this is unpredictable based upon your throttle input?

You can program Sport mode via iDrive to start the car in 1st gear, but I find starting a 550 in 1st a little too aggressive to use in normal traffic.
I'm not sure how to address your response. Of course they are supposed to downshift as needed. But the car is starting in second gear and the transition back to first happens even at very moderate throttle openings and it causes for a very sudden transition that makes for a jerky experience. It's hard to explain I know, but I have never owned a car that is even remotely as hard to drive smoothly. It's not that it's unpredictable, it's that if you want to pull away at anything more than a slow crawl you are going to get a little acceleration followed by a jolt of way too much acceleration that is like turning a light switch on as opposed to a dimmer that brings the light on in a nice gradual manner.

When my friend drove it, he got out and said he nearly ran into the back of the car in front of him because of it.

I know you can program the car to sport mode - I don't want sport mode in normal driving. BTW, I do not find starting in first gear to be too aggressive at all. I find it makes for a smooth start that I'm looking for. But I don't want to have to constantly be going back and forth from sport to non-sport mode as I drive down a road with a lot of traffic signals. Sport mode is not smooth either if you leave it there. It holds too low of a gear and when you take you foot off the brake the engine braking is too pronounced and makes for just the opposite problem - not smooth either.

It would be easier to turn the car back in and go back to a Lexus or Audi than for people to keep making excuses for why BMW's have stupid quirks. As much as I love the car in many ways, I cannot see buying another BMW and putting up with so many stupid quirks when there are other cars that are damn good cars that don't have them.

But if someone had a fix for this stuff, I would probably never buy anything other than a BMW. That's why I'm asking here on the forum.

Last edited by jjsC6; 10-01-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
jjsC6, I assume you try to reset the transmssion already doing that start button and gas pedal dance. My 535i did the same thing, very rough when I want fast accelaration from a stop. After the reset 2 months ago, its been pretty smooth, once a long while, I still get a rough start, but for the most part, I am happy with it.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I'm not sure how to address your response. Of course they are supposed to downshift as needed. But the car is starting in second gear and the transition back to first happens even at very moderate throttle openings and it causes for a very sudden transition that makes for a jerky experience. It's hard to explain I know, but I have never owned a car that is even remotely as hard to drive smoothly. It's not that it's unpredictable, it's that if you want to pull away at anything more than a slow crawl you are going to get a little acceleration followed by a jolt of way too much acceleration that is like turning a light switch on as opposed to a dimmer that brings the light on in a nice gradual manner.

When my friend drove it, he got out and said he nearly ran into the back of the car in front of him because of it.

I know you can program the car to sport mode - I don't want sport mode in normal driving. BTW, I do not find starting in first gear to be too aggressive at all. I find it makes for a smooth start that I'm looking for. But I don't want to have to constantly be going back and forth from sport to non-sport mode as I drive down a road with a lot of traffic signals. Sport mode is not smooth either if you leave it there. It holds too low of a gear and when you take you foot off the brake the engine braking is too pronounced and makes for just the opposite problem - not smooth either.

It would be easier to turn the car back in and go back to a Lexus or Audi than for people to keep making excuses for why BMW's have stupid quirks. As much as I love the car in many ways, I cannot see buying another BMW and putting up with so many stupid quirks when there are other cars that are damn good cars that don't have them.

But if someone had a fix for this stuff, I would probably never buy anything other than a BMW. That's why I'm asking here on the forum.
Okay, my Bimmers behave no differently than my Benzs, so the launches are smooth with zero unpredictability. Driving in stop-n-go traffic with 5' spacing isn't a problem. The only jerkiness in acceleration that I ever experienced is when I was driving indecisively (e.g. rolling gently up to 10-15mph and then nailing it will cause an unpleasant downshift). In general when I have open road ahead of me, I leave the light in second gear and accelerate twice as fast a everyone else and never have a downshift to first. Based upon yours and your friend's observations, I would suggest you have it checked out by your service department.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix msport
I don't exactly have the same issue from a stop, I can tell it is in second when accelerating though. You are correct that in sport mode it does start from first and holds the gears quite a bit- definitely makes for a less than smooth drive.

Letting off the gas and lightly touching the brakes slows the car then it feels like another set of brakes kicks in and the car slows much quicker, that took some getting used to for sure.

My biggest grumble is when lightly accelerating at around 40-45 mph, the tack is only at about 1100 rpm and instead of downshifting, it stays in gear and feels like it is bogging down. Of course I can make it kick down a gear, but it doesn't want to do it all on it's own.

If I had to guess, BMW has taken some liberties trying to get the most efficiency out of the 550. For me, it is sport mode and a jerky but fun drive. In comfort mode, I find that I notice the problems with ultra low RPMs being kept (only in town under 50 mph) and that makes for a rough ride. I'll have to look into the Transmission reset procedure.

Doesn't really help with your issue from a stop, perhaps a trip to the service dept would be warranted, just know this is a quirky car.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 AM

Here's the problem with the issue: not ever car experiences it. If you have never experienced it, you just can't understand what we are talking about. Jim hit the nail on the head when he said he's never driven a car that's so difficult to drive smoothly. That's exactly how I feel driving this car....like a 16 year old driving his first manual transmission. That's more what it feels like. Like you're letting the clutch out sloooooowly, you're creeping forward, then you get nervous and just dump it. BANG, your'e off. Nothing, nothing, nothing....THUMP.

It's very annoying.

I was just without my car for a week. When I got it again, my wife and I were driving. I pulled away from a light and got the jerky tip in. She said "I did not miss THAT".

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-01-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
jjsC6, I assume you try to reset the transmssion already doing that start button and gas pedal dance. My 535i did the same thing, very rough when I want fast accelaration from a stop. After the reset 2 months ago, its been pretty smooth, once a long while, I still get a rough start, but for the most part, I am happy with it.
I have not. I read too many people say they tried it and either didn't feel a difference, or they did but it came back. I'm willing on trying it though. I need to go back and look up the sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Okay, my Bimmers behave no differently than my Benzs, so the launches are smooth with zero unpredictability. Driving in stop-n-go traffic with 5' spacing isn't a problem. The only jerkiness in acceleration that I ever experienced is when I was driving indecisively (e.g. rolling gently up to 10-15mph and then nailing it will cause an unpleasant downshift). In general when I have open road ahead of me, I leave the light in second gear and accelerate twice as fast a everyone else and never have a downshift to first. Based upon yours and your friend's observations, I would suggest you have it checked out by your service department.
I have had the dealer check it out. They said it drives fine. I even had the GM who I have become friends with and the zone rep who happened to be there check to see if there were any ECU updates for the car - there were not.

BTW, I'm curious as to whether your Dinan tune has made yours smoother. I guess I won't know unless I drive one. An expensive "fix" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skohler View Post
I don't exactly have the same issue from a stop, I can tell it is in second when accelerating though. You are correct that in sport mode it does start from first and holds the gears quite a bit- definitely makes for a less than smooth drive.

Letting off the gas and lightly touching the brakes slows the car then it feels like another set of brakes kicks in and the car slows much quicker, that took some getting used to for sure.

My biggest grumble is when lightly accelerating at around 40-45 mph, the tack is only at about 1100 rpm and instead of downshifting, it stays in gear and feels like it is bogging down. Of course I can make it kick down a gear, but it doesn't want to do it all on it's own.

If I had to guess, BMW has taken some liberties trying to get the most efficiency out of the 550. For me, it is sport mode and a jerky but fun drive. In comfort mode, I find that I notice the problems with ultra low RPMs being kept (only in town under 50 mph) and that makes for a rough ride. I'll have to look into the Transmission reset procedure.

Doesn't really help with your issue from a stop, perhaps a trip to the service dept would be warranted, just know this is a quirky car.
Agree with your analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Here's the problem with the issue: not ever car experiences it. If you have never experienced it, you just can't understand what we are talking about. Jim hit the nail on the head when he said he's never driven a car that's so difficult to drive smoothly. That's exactly how I feel driving this car....like a 16 year old driving his first manual transmission. That's more what it feels like. Like you're letting the clutch out sloooooowly, you're creeping forward, then you get nervous and just dump it. BANG, your'e off. Nothing, nothing, nothing....THUMP.

It's very annoying.

I was just without my car for a week. When I got it again, my wife and I were driving. I pulled away from a light and got the jerky tip in. She said "I did not miss THAT".
Correct!

Based upon all that I have heard, I think that we have to live with most of their quirks, but that's why I'm asking the questions. I appreciate all the input. I think I'm going to ask the dealer to let me drive another one he has on the lot and see if it's the same or not. May go down there today or tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I have not. I read too many people say they tried it and either didn't feel a difference, or they did but it came back. I'm willing on trying it though. I need to go back and look up the sequence.

I have had the dealer check it out. They said it drives fine. I even had the GM who I have become friends with and the zone rep who happened to be there check to see if there were any ECU updates for the car - there were not.

BTW, I'm curious as to whether your Dinan tune has made yours smoother. I guess I won't know unless I drive one. An expensive "fix" though.

Agree with your analysis.

Correct!

Based upon all that I have heard, I think that we have to live with most of their quirks, but that's why I'm asking the questions. I appreciate all the input. I think I'm going to ask the dealer to let me drive another one he has on the lot and see if it's the same or not. May go down there today or tomorrow.
The problem is, as you've discovered, it's not consistent. Whenever my car has been in for service and the computer has been reset, it's been smooth as silk for a while. Also, sometimes the throttle reset works, sometimes not. Either way, it comes and goes, which is even more annoying.

Chances are the one on the lot won't do it.

Have them reset all your adaptive values. That will cure it for a while.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
The problem is, as you've discovered, it's not consistent. Whenever my car has been in for service and the computer has been reset, it's been smooth as silk for a while. Also, sometimes the throttle reset works, sometimes not. Either way, it comes and goes, which is even more annoying.

Chances are the one on the lot won't do it.

Have them reset all your adaptive values. That will cure it for a while.
That will be interesting. How do they reset them, and will it effect my coding? I really don't want them screwing with anything that kills the coding I had done.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. I don't think it should affect coding but you never know.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
1) Press the Start button once to turn on power. Do not press the brake pedal and do not start the engine.
2) Press the accelerator down to the floor for 20 seconds.
3) Press the Start button again to turn the power off.
4) Now remove your foot from the accelerator.
5) Wait TWO minutes and start up the vehicle like normal
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
1) Press the Start button once to turn on power. Do not press the brake pedal and do not start the engine.
2) Press the accelerator down to the floor for 20 seconds.
3) Press the Start button again to turn the power off.
4) Now remove your foot from the accelerator.
5) Wait TWO minutes and start up the vehicle like normal
Thanks, will try it tomorrow if I have time.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by skohler View Post

While I don't have a 550, but yes, I'm really getting annoyed by the way the car responds to the gas pedal in normal mode. Like you said, I have no problem when it is starting from a dead stop (it could be better though).

It is really bad when the car is moving at low rpms (thanks to the 8spd transmission). When there is a sudden need to accelerate (to overtake), it is very reluctant to downshift, even when you floor it. And when it does, it either comes late, or it just downshifts just ONE gear (which does nothing essentially, due to the close ratios of the 8spd transmission). If you keep pressing, it will then downshift another gear.

The good thing is that the car adapts to your style, so after a few frustrating jabs at the gas pedal to get it to downshift quick, it behaves differently. It is more willing to downshift, but it then holds the rpm longer before the next shift, even if you let go of the gas pedal. And after a while, it "forgets" and refuses to downshift again.

Yes, switching to Sports mode helps, but normal mode should not be that bad.

I did a test myself to test whether this is caused by the throttle/gas pedal response, or is it the transmission. So I get to a a good cruising speed around 30mph and I use the pedal shifter to keep the car in gear, to hold the engine about 4K RPMs. I then take quick repeated small presses on the gas pedal. When I do it slowly, the RPMs matches my foot action and I can get the car to buck. But to my surprise, when I did it slightly quicker, the engine no longer responds to my action and the RPM holds steady. The car moves smoothly as if my foot is holding the gas pedal position constant!

So I guess this is part of the drawbacks with an electronic throttle vs cable? Maybe the ECU is not sampling the throttle position frequently enough, hence a lag in the throttle response? And of course since the transmission responds based on the throttle, so that gets affected too.

Doing the transmission reset procedure helps, but the lag will come back in a week.

Last edited by douggie; 10-15-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
I never drive my car in comfort modes because the car feels like its meant for a grandpa to drive. Doesn't want to downshift and too quick to upshift. Throttle response is also massively delayed along with floaty suspension. Once the car is in sport mode all those goes away immediately and it drives like a BMW should.

I believe most bmws start in 2nd gear in normal modes now. My buddies 07 335 does the same unless he's in sport mode.

Although i prefer driving my car in only sport mode my car does NOT exhibit this jerkyness when taking off. Not sure if Bmw did something to the 2013 cars to fix it

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||

Last edited by Alan L.; 10-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 AM
um, i dunno

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
I had my 2011 535 in for service last week. I told the service guy at my dealership that I was sick and tired of the "tip in"on my car and that I was surprised that BMW had such a wide spread problem with their cars. He told me that I was not the only one complaining and that they would "check it out". He called me later in the day and said that they had re set the engine computer last time due to my complaints and now they were going to do a manual re set of the transmission to alleviate the problem. I'm glad to report that my car has not run as well as it is today thanks to that re set. He did say that they car was starting off in second and that could be causing the problem. It accelerates from a dead stop as smoothly as ever.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM

Expect this to last a week or two before you are back complaining. It's unfortunate.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: F430 Spider
OP, I would take the car back to the dealer and insist that they fix it. I don't believe all F10s have this issue. I just drove around trying to see if I had this issue in my car. The takeoff is smooth whether I'm in comfort or sport mode, and irrespective of whether I gently press on the accelerator or hit it hard.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John NY View Post
OP, I would take the car back to the dealer and insist that they fix it. I don't believe all F10s have this issue. I just drove around trying to see if I had this issue in my car. The takeoff is smooth whether I'm in comfort or sport mode, and irrespective of whether I gently press on the accelerator or hit it hard.
I have become friends with the GM of the dealership. He had the Zone rep with him the day I discussed it with him. There is nothing the dealer can do to fix it. He has not forgotten as he asks me from time-to-time if it still does it. I will check with him occasionally to see if he has any new information, but I'm not willing on making myself crazy over this. I have enough stuff that makes me crazy without wanting to escalate this any more.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
I just went out in my 2013 535xi and left it in normal mode to test this. My car accelerates perfectly smooth even starting out in second gear and it doesn't downshift into 1st even with 50% throttle applied. Either you are flooring it off the line (might as well be in sport mode) or they fixed the issue in the 2013 cars. I did this over and over again and car accelerated silky smooth in second gear. Putting it in sport mode made it accelerate in 1st gear which is also smooth but way more pep.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 10-15-2012, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Throttle Reset

There are varying instructions on how to reset the throttle. I'm able to do it quicker than some of the other instructions on the site:

1. With the car completely off, press start button with foot off the brake (engine still off).
2. Hold throttle down for 10 -15 seconds, then release.
3. Press start button again to turn car completely off.
4. Start car normally.

At least with my car, there's no need to hold the gas for 60 seconds or leave the car off for 2 minutes. Heck, I reset mine at a stop light this morning.

It's certainly annoying and unacceptable that we need to do this, but it's really not much trouble, and it fixes my tip-in problem 100%. Depending on my driving style, I generally need to reset it every couple of weeks.

Seems to me the solution to the tip-in problem is to disable the adaptive transmission software. Any coding ideas?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: X5d
My '12 535 exhibited acceleration behavior that I would have described exactly as the OP did of his 550. However, I had it updated with the new firmware last week (had to say "please update firmware as there is unacceptable lurching upon acceleration" for the SA to be "allowed" to approve this job...)

Anyway, it seems to have fixed the problem completely. I have tried many times to get the car to lurch/jerk since the work, and the issue appears to be gone. I feel this update has literally transformed the car into a much different and better feeling vehicle. I now drive the car more "enthusiastically" and couldn't be happier, or more amazed by the change.

I don't know the exact firmware version--I'll save my profile to a usb drive when I'm back in town and report. But I urge every dissatisfied F10 owner to politely demand this "Firmware Update to fix acceleration lurching" from his/her dealer.

One caveat: I'm seeing a few report here that they had a fix that "went away" after a while. I've only put a hundred miles in since the fix, so hoping I'm not headed for a let down.

-w
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
I just went out in my 2013 535xi and left it in normal mode to test this. My car accelerates perfectly smooth even starting out in second gear and it doesn't downshift into 1st even with 50% throttle applied. Either you are flooring it off the line (might as well be in sport mode) or they fixed the issue in the 2013 cars. I did this over and over again and car accelerated silky smooth in second gear. Putting it in sport mode made it accelerate in 1st gear which is also smooth but way more pep.

Alan

Said it before and I will again.

If your car doesn't do it, it just doesn't do it. And you will think the rest of us are crazy. Trust me, we are not.

I invite anyone in the Houston area who thinks this is hogwash to drive my car. You will change your mind. Quickly.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:10 AM
um, i dunno

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsracheer View Post
My '12 535 exhibited acceleration behavior that I would have described exactly as the OP did of his 550. However, I had it updated with the new firmware last week (had to say "please update firmware as there is unacceptable lurching upon acceleration" for the SA to be "allowed" to approve this job...)

Anyway, it seems to have fixed the problem completely. I have tried many times to get the car to lurch/jerk since the work, and the issue appears to be gone. I feel this update has literally transformed the car into a much different and better feeling vehicle. I now drive the car more "enthusiastically" and couldn't be happier, or more amazed by the change.

I don't know the exact firmware version--I'll save my profile to a usb drive when I'm back in town and report. But I urge every dissatisfied F10 owner to politely demand this "Firmware Update to fix acceleration lurching" from his/her dealer.

One caveat: I'm seeing a few report here that they had a fix that "went away" after a while. I've only put a hundred miles in since the fix, so hoping I'm not headed for a let down.

-w

This is the same experience that I had with my car last time it was in for service. Sometimes I can't believe it's the same vehicle. It seems to handle better, not to mention the smooth as silk start from a stop.