Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Said it before and I will again.

If your car doesn't do it, it just doesn't do it. And you will think the rest of us are crazy. Trust me, we are not.

I invite anyone in the Houston area who thinks this is hogwash to drive my car. You will change your mind. Quickly.
Not saying you guys are crazy at all

I am just thinking BMW has a fix for this since my 2013 car doesn't do this at all so there is hope for you guys.

The only funky thing my car DOES do is if i am in sport mode and my transmission is also in sport mode the car will want to kick down into 1st gear when i am slowing down to almost a complete stop. The problem is that sometimes i am <5mph and the light turns green again so instead of stopping i hit the gas and the car is right in the middle of changing down into first gear you get this jolt as if a manual driver releasing the clutch out too fast feeling. I love the sports auto transmission but it does seem alittle too aggressive at times in both sport/sport settings

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsracheer View Post
My '12 535 exhibited acceleration behavior that I would have described exactly as the OP did of his 550. However, I had it updated with the new firmware last week (had to say "please update firmware as there is unacceptable lurching upon acceleration" for the SA to be "allowed" to approve this job...)

Anyway, it seems to have fixed the problem completely. I have tried many times to get the car to lurch/jerk since the work, and the issue appears to be gone. I feel this update has literally transformed the car into a much different and better feeling vehicle. I now drive the car more "enthusiastically" and couldn't be happier, or more amazed by the change.

I don't know the exact firmware version--I'll save my profile to a usb drive when I'm back in town and report. But I urge every dissatisfied F10 owner to politely demand this "Firmware Update to fix acceleration lurching" from his/her dealer.

One caveat: I'm seeing a few report here that they had a fix that "went away" after a while. I've only put a hundred miles in since the fix, so hoping I'm not headed for a let down.

-w
I have had the global software update, and, after awhile, the lurching behavior came back. I just have to remember to feather the throttle from a start.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 5
The new X3 suffers from this as well. This one is documented with accelerometers and GPS.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1scygJTyj
Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Tested it again on my 2013 just because I am curious.... in normal mode the car starts out in second gear and even if i give the car near full throttle it would not downshift into first gear causing any jerky acceleration. My car would just stay in second gear and accelerate silky smooth. Switched over to sport mode and 1st gear was engaged right away and same thing. Smooth acceleration.

Seems like Bmw did indeed change something along the way.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 10-17-2012, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Not saying you guys are crazy at all

I am just thinking BMW has a fix for this since my 2013 car doesn't do this at all so there is hope for you guys.

The only funky thing my car DOES do is if i am in sport mode and my transmission is also in sport mode the car will want to kick down into 1st gear when i am slowing down to almost a complete stop. The problem is that sometimes i am <5mph and the light turns green again so instead of stopping i hit the gas and the car is right in the middle of changing down into first gear you get this jolt as if a manual driver releasing the clutch out too fast feeling. I love the sports auto transmission but it does seem alittle too aggressive at times in both sport/sport settings

Alan
Mine often does that in either mode. I know you think there is hope, but I've seen way too many posts on this forum in the past nine months about these issues to get my hopes up. It's hit or miss.

Also, you should understand that it is possible for me to pull away from a stop smoothly. But it takes just the right touch on the accelerator, and I have to accelerate at a very modest pace. That is what is so frustrating. I feel like I'm trying to sneak up on a light switch every time I pull away from a stop.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Mine often does that in either mode. I know you think there is hope, but I've seen way too many posts on this forum in the past nine months about these issues to get my hopes up. It's hit or miss.

Also, you should understand that it is possible for me to pull away from a stop smoothly. But it takes just the right touch on the accelerator, and I have to accelerate at a very modest pace. That is what is so frustrating. I feel like I'm trying to sneak up on a light switch every time I pull away from a stop.
Yes, but I'm thinking (hoping) that BMW has FINALLY figured this issue out with the LATEST firmware version. At least for the 535. I don't know when they issued the version I just had installed (Does anyone know this?), but if you haven't tried installing this latest version, you may still have hope now.

Optimistically,
-w
Old 10-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsracheer View Post
Yes, but I'm thinking (hoping) that BMW has FINALLY figured this issue out with the LATEST firmware version. At least for the 535. I don't know when they issued the version I just had installed (Does anyone know this?), but if you haven't tried installing this latest version, you may still have hope now.

Optimistically,
-w
This has been a known problem on many BMW vehicles by customer complaints, forums and magazine tests for a few years now. A friend of mine had a 2010 (previous generation) 550 that did the exact same thing. They clearly know about it and consider it an acceptable "feature" of the car at this point.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 535i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
There are varying instructions on how to reset the throttle. I'm able to do it quicker than some of the other instructions on the site:

1. With the car completely off, press start button with foot off the brake (engine still off).
2. Hold throttle down for 10 -15 seconds, then release.
3. Press start button again to turn car completely off.
4. Start car normally.

At least with my car, there's no need to hold the gas for 60 seconds or leave the car off for 2 minutes. Heck, I reset mine at a stop light this morning.

It's certainly annoying and unacceptable that we need to do this, but it's really not much trouble, and it fixes my tip-in problem 100%. Depending on my driving style, I generally need to reset it every couple of weeks.

Seems to me the solution to the tip-in problem is to disable the adaptive transmission software. Any coding ideas?
I have same problem as the OP, but solve it same way jgscott897 does (thanks for the faster reset process!). In my case, the feel of the reset fades in about two weeks and is gone in four. I've just resigned myself to weekly resets and now and now I can do it at a stoplight if I forget. Post reset, the car really feels great, just like it should.

Does anyone think a weekly reset can be coded in? Possibly reset each time the car is started, or maybe code to turn off the adaptive throttle function so it remains as it was just post reset?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
I have noticed some tip-in lag on my 550. Only time it was annoying is when it dished into the gas and they car seemed to lag and take off--this was on the test drive. Other than that, it has been fine as a daily driver now with a wopping 2400 miles on it.

I drive in comfort mode most of the time. For my local driving it's fine. Sometimes I'll move to Sport and and trans will be in sport. I have no lag, just BOOM it goes. Since for the most part if I drove this thing how I'd like to I'd probably be in jail, it's not worring me so much. I do think there's an issue. I know my F10 535 had an issue, which was corrected by a re-program. Made a massive difference.

On the other side, I had to make a short 200 mile round trip. When it's time to open the beast up, it moves.

Since the 550 has more, maybe it is less pronouced. All I know if I want this thing light up, it does! At this point it's countless of how many clows have found thata boring dark gray sedan somehow halls a$$.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
O wow.... this thread is scary... So glad I own a 535 then - despite a little well documented jerk at take-off which is rather minor - it starts in the first gear in D and can be driven very smoothly overall. Shocking to hear such things about the 550. I wonder why this never came up before.... there seemed to be so many happy 550 owners and only us 535 guys seemed to complain a bit.

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Old 10-21-2012, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
O wow.... this thread is scary... So glad I own a 535 then - despite a little well documented jerk at take-off which is rather minor - it starts in the first gear in D and can be driven very smoothly overall. Shocking to hear such things about the 550. I wonder why this never came up before.... there seemed to be so many happy 550 owners and only us 535 guys seemed to complain a bit.
I have not driven a 535, but I actually think the issues are a bit different from what I have read. I think the 550 is more a matter of the transmission shifting unexpectedly with 450 lb ft of torque ready to give an unexpected jolt, whereas the 535 has a genuine hitch in it's gettalong.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
but the car not starting in the first gear is just plain Pathetic. It defeats the purpose off having a strong engine and wanting to use it at will.

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
but the car not starting in the first gear is just plain Pathetic. It defeats the purpose off having a strong engine and wanting to use it at will.
With a tiny bit of forethought, say 1 second prior, you can start in first gear.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 10-21-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I agree.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by skohler View Post
I don't exactly have the same issue from a stop, I can tell it is in second when accelerating though. You are correct that in sport mode it does start from first and holds the gears quite a bit- definitely makes for a less than smooth drive.

Letting off the gas and lightly touching the brakes slows the car then it feels like another set of brakes kicks in and the car slows much quicker, that took some getting used to for sure.

My biggest grumble is when lightly accelerating at around 40-45 mph, the tack is only at about 1100 rpm and instead of downshifting, it stays in gear and feels like it is bogging down. Of course I can make it kick down a gear, but it doesn't want to do it all on it's own.

If I had to guess, BMW has taken some liberties trying to get the most efficiency out of the 550. For me, it is sport mode and a jerky but fun drive. In comfort mode, I find that I notice the problems with ultra low RPMs being kept (only in town under 50 mph) and that makes for a rough ride. I'll have to look into the Transmission reset procedure.

Doesn't really help with your issue from a stop, perhaps a trip to the service dept would be warranted, just know this is a quirky car.
This is exactly how I wold describe my 2008 e60 550i. I don't like it one bit and it is annoying for such an expensive luxury vehicle. My 2003 grand Cherokee v8 has a smoother transmission all the way around.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM

I'm the OP of this thread - tomorrow I'm meeting a very good friend of mine who just picked up a 2013 550. I'm very interested to see how his compares to mine. I'll report back.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Between this, the steering and the GD Bluetooth, I am freaking tired of this car....

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Between this, the steering and the GD Bluetooth, I am freaking tired of this car....
What issues are you having with Bluetooth?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i
Hey Jim, I've experienced your exact same issue (throttle lag and lurching) for a while and I've just become accustomed to it. However, three weeks ago, I did the Dinan S2 tune and the throttle lag is now gone! I'm not sure if this is b/c it now starts in 1st all the time or not but the throttle response is greatly improved. I know it's an expensive "fix" but there are other joys that come from the tune!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigken620 View Post
Hey Jim, I've experienced your exact same issue (throttle lag and lurching) for a while and I've just become accustomed to it. However, three weeks ago, I did the Dinan S2 tune and the throttle lag is now gone! I'm not sure if this is b/c it now starts in 1st all the time or not but the throttle response is greatly improved. I know it's an expensive "fix" but there are other joys that come from the tune!
Thanks for the input.

I met my friend with the 2013 today, but the weather sucked and he didn't even drive the car. But I did try something today that results in TOTALLY smooth acceleration from a dead stop every time. Put the car in sport mode, then manually shift to second while you are still at a dead stop. You can pull away from a stop accelerating however you want and there are zero glitches. But no, I'm not willing on doing that at every stop.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
What issues are you having with Bluetooth?
Sounds like the windows are open. Had mics replaced, software updates, no dice.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Put the car in sport mode, then manually shift to second while you are still at a dead stop.
The E60 puts it into second when you come to a stop when in manual mode. I've heard the F10 puts it into first (you are yet another who has said this). I've driven F10's that put it into first and others that put it into second, so the behavior appears to be somewhat inconsistent, or at least I don't know what the difference was.

I currently drive an E60 and have an F10 on order. I start this way all the time with the E60 because it is the smoothest way to start (note that the E60 also has tip in, but I'm used to it).

Starting in first is painful when manual shifting because you have to shift almost immediately after getting going. It is especially painful when using paddle shifters and you are making a turn.

Does anyone know if there is a setting or a code or something to change the F10 behavior so that it always puts it into second when coming to a stop like the E60 does?

-Corey
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
The E60 puts it into second when you come to a stop when in manual mode. I've heard the F10 puts it into first (you are yet another who has said this). I've driven F10's that put it into first and others that put it into second, so the behavior appears to be somewhat inconsistent, or at least I don't know what the difference was.

I currently drive an E60 and have an F10 on order. I start this way all the time with the E60 because it is the smoothest way to start (note that the E60 also has tip in, but I'm used to it).

Starting in first is painful when manual shifting because you have to shift almost immediately after getting going. It is especially painful when using paddle shifters and you are making a turn.

Does anyone know if there is a setting or a code or something to change the F10 behavior so that it always puts it into second when coming to a stop like the E60 does?

-Corey
Corey, first of all, I'm only familiar with what the 550 does, can't speak for the other engines. But I want to be sure we are on the same page. My car does start second gear in normal mode, but first gear in sport mode. But neither one of those modes are terribly smooth but the sport mode starting in first is smoother. But as I said, putting it in sport mode then moving to second before pulling away is by far the smoothest.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM

I tested my 535 after Yogi posted his videos. It starts in first.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 5
It's not about first/second gear. Even the manual has the same problem in the F30 328i.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...328i_update_3/

Yes, it's not the same engine, but the tip-in issue is consistent.