Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 528i (E60)
Drying my car before the sun does.

I've found that here in Phoenix (and probably other very hot and dry areas without much moisture) that when I wash my car, even when it's not in direct sunlight and it hasn't been baking in the sun all day, even still I can't seem to dry it off before these big, nasty looking white stains begin appearing everywhere. They can be detailed and polished out, but it seems like I wash my car just to have to re-wash what the washing does What am I doing wrong here? My car is Black if that helps. I use a very good drying towel (not even sure how it's made but it was $20 and works awesome) along with several smaller detailing and polishing towels. I work quickly but it never seems to be quick enough.

Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2014, 05:54 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Disregarding more extreme measures, yeah, the only thing that comes to mind is in a sense, "washing it again". What I would do is simply spray ONR with RO water dilution on the panels as you're about to dry the section. ONR is a water softener for those white stains (you can even put a bit in your wash bucket to soften), and it also acts as a drying lube so that your nice drying towel is even less likely to scratch the paint.

I really like Kwazar types of nozzles for what I find to be precise atomization. Max coverage while using the minimum product (so that your towel gets more use). For example, it is this spray bottle that I trust for sanitizing awkward beer brewing equipment, stuff that can't be dunked in their entirety, like my oxygen diffuser; I trust its coverage more than anything else, and I've never brewed a contaminated beer. But anyway, try ONR first. Green stuff has wax in it, I've not used that for this purpose, but I do prefer the green to blue for rinseless wash... good luck...
Old 06-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
I have very hard water and have the same issue. Options are 1.) Wash your car in sections so you can dry it before the sun does. 2.) Wash at night. 3.) Use a rinseless wash like Optimum No-Rinse (ONR), which forces you to work in sections, and has the side benefit that you can use soft water from your house.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
3.) Use a rinseless wash like Optimum No-Rinse (ONR), which forces you to work in sections, and has the side benefit that you can use soft water from your house.

If using ONR, you don't even need to use soft water. It works great even with the super-hard mineral-rich water in SoCal. No spotting at all.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-23-2014, 09:12 AM

I just looked up that Optimum No Rinse. It looks pretty incredible, I might have to try some out. The only problem is I live in a apartment, so I don't have access to a hose and can't wash my car "out in the driveway."
Old 06-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant View Post
The only problem is I live in a apartment, so I don't have access to a hose and can't wash my car "out in the driveway."

That's not a problem, it's why ONR was created. Fill your bucket in the apartment, grab your MF towels and go to work.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Sounds pretty awesome. From the looks of it I can only buy it online? I guess it's worth it though. Sounds really amazing.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:54 AM

If you're going to purchase ONR, look for a 'kit' that includes the proper Microfiber towels. They are key to avoiding micro-scratches during washing. Also check YouTube for how-to vids (there are several).

Mail order is the only way to get it, but my 1st gallon has lasted two years and still has some left. You only use 2 capfuls per bucket, so a little goes a long way.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:22 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant View Post
Sounds pretty awesome. From the looks of it I can only buy it online? I guess it's worth it though. Sounds really amazing.
Just to repeat myself, I recommend the green stuff, which would be called Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax. Like here: http://www.detailersdomain.com/Optim...gal_p_868.html

Blue stuff is great, sure, but I like the glow the green stuff leaves. I bet it will make your black look great. Post your impressions with a picture.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
I haven't used this product yet, however I like the guy's premise and development story of his product line. Will be purchasing (at minimum) this product http://www.ammonyc.com/shop/ammo-hydrate/ from him which may help solve the drying time problem. I only wash in the early am's and still have difficulty beating the natural evaporation time for most of the year.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Two things that would help a lot:

1. A filter/deionizer (about $400 at costco) style system
2. Using a gas blower to blow off water beads

2011 328xi Sedan - DSB / Chestnut / Aluminum / Auto / Value / Premium / Xenon / Sat / Split Rear Seats
M3 Lip Spoiler / LUX V3 / Aluminum Pedals & E-Brake / Interior LED / Xenesis H8 & H3 / LED side markers
Clear Side Reflectors / DSB painted calipers / Cyba black scoops / Tint / Powder black grille & exhaust tips

Future Mods: VMR V710 18x8.5" Gunmetal rims
Old 08-04-2014, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i xD
Just wash/dry in sections (start with the roof). ONR is certainly one of the best ways to do it. Once the car is done, spritz some quick detailer (any reputable brand will do) and buff it off with a good CF towel. That last step should take no more than 15 minutes. I don't have major hard water issues but even drying a section immediately after washing it with ONR leaves very tiny water spots. I always use a QD or spray wax afterwards to get the "just waxed" look.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
Try this,
Take your hose end off, and just let the water flow out of it at medium pressure. Start at the top and work down.. IT will collect most of your water spots and film the water off so you have alot less water spots to towel or squeegee off... Yeah, I laughed at it this suggestion also, but it works..
I am sure a good clay/polish/wax job helps it work best...

I used to use ( lost it somewhere) a very soft urethane squeegee to take off the first pass of water spots, then following up with a soft towel.. It works very well with no scratching also.

Last edited by Rick D; 08-04-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
Yup, you don't need a hose. You can get by with one 5-gal bucket, two works better. Buy microfibers that are at least 80/20 polyester/polyamide. No more polyester than this. 70/30 is even better. If you are a Costco member, you can buy 40 80/20 microfibers for $15. You need at least 6-8 microfibers to wash your car, more if you want to do anything else, like apply trim restorer or sealant/wax. After you wash, you won't need to do any buffing if you use ONR. Once you get used to it, you'll find it is faster than doing a conventional wash and you'll never do a conventional wash again. I wash my car in my garage without moving it.

I have both ONRs - with wax and without wax. Both are good. Sometimes I don't want to use the wax version - if I am going to wax with something else, for example, or if I'm using ONR to remove polish reside while polishing.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:14 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
When I lived in phx I made sure to pull the car back into the garage before drying.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 08-22-2014, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Here's a demonstration how-to for Optimum No Rinse, a good process...
Click here

Last edited by Revelation19; 08-22-2014 at 08:25 PM.