Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
Price after swap?

If I were to successfuly swap a car from California @ Pacific BMW or somewhere similar, with my dealer on the East Coast, does this give my dealer free reign to raise the asking price it was listed at or can we only begin negotiations at the asking price @ Pacific? Can he say, well over here that car is worth 5k more etc...
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
You should negotiate the price of the "swapped" car, before the swap even occurs. Of course there will be some fees involved, transporting/swapping a car across the country.

Technically your dealer can charge whatever he pleases. It is best to just talk through the specifics with him so you're both on the same page.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
I dont think this will be a "swap" typically thats only done with in town dealers. it would be them buying the car from pacific then selling it to you. which means they can charge whatever they decide to. if its a car that has punched incentives, likely no local dealer will do this transfer as the originating dealer would have already gotten the incentive.

you need to factor in the cross country shipping cost, which will likely be passed on to you in some way shape or form. figure that will add 700-1000 to the final price of the car.

might as well see if pacific will sell to you directly and ship the car.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 10-08-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:25 PM

nice good points. the thing is generally, the cars on pacific's lot are much more reasonably priced than almost everything on the east coast. i'm really just trying to get into a slightly used, basic F30 w/o much bells and whistles. hard to find over here.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinipirate View Post
nice good points. the thing is generally, the cars on pacific's lot are much more reasonably priced than almost everything on the east coast. i'm really just trying to get into a slightly used, basic F30 w/o much bells and whistles. hard to find over here.
wait a year or so. service loaners are typically first out of the gate.

you are better off dealing with the west coast dealers directly for a used car purchase.

there would be no value add to involve a local dealer-- its not like a production allocation swap, the best they could do is to act as a middle man and mark it up, its not like they would transfer inventory back and forth-- a used car belongs to the dealer that has it. at best they would sell it to the local dealer for their asking price, then the local dealer would mark it up and add the shipping fee on top of it. no local guarentee, any issues would go back to the dealer in CA

you could also fly out and drive it back. at least in that case you could see the car first.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
wait a year or so. service loaners are typically first out of the gate.

you are better off dealing with the west coast dealers directly for a used car purchase.

there would be no value add to involve a local dealer-- its not like a production allocation swap, the best they could do is to act as a middle man and mark it up, its not like they would transfer inventory back and forth-- a used car belongs to the dealer that has it. at best they would sell it to the local dealer for their asking price, then the local dealer would mark it up and add the shipping fee on top of it. no local guarentee, any issues would go back to the dealer in CA

you could also fly out and drive it back. at least in that case you could see the car first.
I'll wait until spring then compare prices. If by then the cars on the east coast are finally comparable in sale w/ those in CA then i'll buy here. if not i don't mind buying directly from Pacific and shipping if it still makes financial sense.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
you are talking about 'swapping' a used car???????

Will not happen.

Buy it, ship it. Or drive it.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Make sure you check the sales tax laws in your state. Would really suck to pay Cali sales tax, then pay sales tax in your home state, too.

Wouldn't it be infinitely easier just to befriend a local dealer and have them watch Manheim for the car you want? As in "I will pay you $X over Manheim cost to buy the car, CPO it and deliver it to me."

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Greg Poland Pacific BMW

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5 M sport
Ok... This is a interesting thread... Love to know what car we are talking about.. And swap...? Are we talking a dealer trade that is different than say an assumption. I.e. swapalease.com for instance. A punched car can be traded but the originating dealer has to agree to give all the incentives to other dealer. Before you do a trade make sure you have agreed on the price of car and whatever shipping costs are involved...keep in mind only new cars can be traded not demos or cpo's.

Greg Poland
Pacific BMW
800 South Brand Blvd.
Glendale, CA 91204
818 254 1491
www.PacificBMW.com
gregpoland@pacificbmw.com
Euro delivery, PC delivery, Out of state-new and used car sales
Hours:T-F 1-8 PM,Sat 1 to 8pm, off Sun and Mon.

Current rides: 2013 X5 msport and 2013 535i
15% over wholesale/invoice for all accessories! and free shipping for Bimmerfest members!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEK7hG-3fyA
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@Pacific BMW View Post
Ok... This is a interesting thread... Love to know what car we are talking about.. And swap...? Are we talking a dealer trade that is different than say an assumption. I.e. swapalease.com for instance. A punched car can be traded but the originating dealer has to agree to give all the incentives to other dealer. Before you do a trade make sure you have agreed on the price of car and whatever shipping costs are involved...keep in mind only new cars can be traded not demos or cpo's.
the op was looking for a lightly used F30...
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
OP if your trying to swap a used car, or CPO it's probably not gonna work in your monetary favor. However if your just trying to get into a reasonable priced BMW, scour the inventory checkers (I.e autotrader) to find what your looking for new. I do understand that east coast dealers tend to option their cars quite a lot, but you can always find something in the price your looking for.

BTW what are you looking for in an f30? Specs, options, and estimated costs would be helpful

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:29 PM

Thanks everyone. Since the thread was started, I'm no longer interested in swapping. The car will not be brand new. I've scoured and I notice the base models Pacific, and a couple other dealers out west are more ideal for me. i.e. no need for tech package, bmw apps, navigation, xdrive, xenon... even leatherette is fine. It will be driven more in the summer and not so much in the winter. As NoI4plz said, the cars that the dealers stock over here are filled w/ bells and whistles for the most part. something in the 30-35K range is my target. including shipping if so lucky
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
If your looking for a basic vehicle, you could try ordering it from a board sponsor and getting it delivered via PCD to South Carolina.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!